Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for our first Tesla, have done some research but welcome ideas, opinions, etc. Budget is $40K, 35 would be better.

Considering a 2014 Model S that started life as a 60kwh and was recently (6 mos) factory upgraded to 75 (including badge and software). 240 mile range at 100%. Would this be software limited as opposed to the OEM battery pack being dedicated 60kWh?
Drive motor replaced a year ago. Car has 108K miles currently. Previously purchased as a CPO car in Aug, 2017. On the low end of budget.
Is mileage a concern? Car is immaculate. Clean Carfax. All warranty and recalls done at local SC, records available.
Will inspect/drive this weekend.
Thanks!

Welcome @Gwelo - to answer your questions directly:

the 60kwh battery packs are in fact 75kwh that are software limited to 60kwh. If you fork more cash, I believe $2k currently, Tesla takes the limit off to take full use of the 75kwh.

I would find out why the Drive Motor was replaced.

Mileage is not as much of a concern with these compared to ICE vehicles due to the limited number of wearable items.

Since it's not Dual motors, and based on what you disclosed, this is probably a high $30k vehilce. (Just pure guesstimation based on the limited info you disclosed above)

Either way, good luck!

My understanding is the new 75kwh battery pack is not limited. The old 60k pack was replaced with the 75, not by removing the software limit. Thanks for the info, I will confirm if my understanding is correct. Will also check on cause of motor replacement. $35k

Another option is 2012 P85, 63k miles, 265 mi range former CPO car with free sc, pano roof, air susp, 21” wheels, studio sound, tech pkg, new tires, ac just replaced. $900 more than the above 2014.

Yet another is 2015 70D, 220 mi range, 48k mi base with cold weather pkg, AP capable but not acrtivated. Batt and drive motor warranty in place til 2023. $40k

So far you have chosen an S75, S70D and a S85P. Other than price, have you thought about what you really want. Do you want a Dual motor. They usually carry a premium so if you can get more car if you are happy with RWD, same goes with the P. Maybe you could look for a signature series, unless AP is important to you, the signatures generally came with all the options and we’re well looked after. Do you need 80A charging or will 40A be enough for you. There are so many used vehicles for sale it’s worth getting your mind around what you actually need/want and find a car that suits that rather than just a budget limit.

I agree with the the above posts, every model S looks the same mostly.- what is your priority:
Range
Power
AWD
Tech
AP

For $40K you will likely only get one or two of the above.
If you can decide on the above, then the next choices will be easier (interior features, sound system, etc). Good luck with the search- I’d suggest Only Used Tesla’s, KBB, auto trader and EV CPO

RWD is perfectly safe with a Tesla. Their drivetrain is way better than any other and will maintain good traction even without dual motor.

That upgraded S60 sounds like a good deal but only because a lot of components have been replaced.

Looking for our first Tesla, have done some research but welcome ideas, opinions, etc. Budget is $40K, 35 would be better.

Considering a 2014 Model S that started life as a 60kwh and was recently (6 mos) factory upgraded to 75 (including badge and software). 240 mile range at 100%. Would this be software limited as opposed to the OEM battery pack being dedicated 60kWh?
Drive motor replaced a year ago. Car has 108K miles currently. Previously purchased as a CPO car in Aug, 2017. On the low end of budget.
Is mileage a concern? Car is immaculate. Clean Carfax. All warranty and recalls done at local SC, records available.
Will inspect/drive this weekend.
Thanks!
Keep in mind things still fail and they are expensive if out of warranty. In my experience, they are not maintenance-free. I'm guessing the newer vins have improved. For example, the MCU costs over >3.5k to get replaced. The same for the dc-dc converter/heater. Both of mine failed in the past 6 months. That would have cost over 7k if I was out of warranty. I would be careful not having a warranty/extended warranty in place. For your price range, I'd be looking into a 3 with a full warranty.

Reactions: CaryRx
I'm a first time Tesla owner too. This summer I bout a CPO 2013 Model S 85 with Tech package, 29,000 miles, lifetime free Supercharging, for $40K. My car has been a delight. It looks like someone kept it "just for special." The battery is in great health - apps peg it as only 3-4% degredation, It has been a joy to drive and I really am converted to Tesla as my brand for the foreseeable future. And, while I really love my car, and would buy it again, there are a few things I would do differently, hindsight being 20/20.

My price point could have been higher - I could have gone with a new MS, but I was skeptical that the EV would really fit my lifestyle, so I didn't want to go all out on price. If I could do it over, I'd buy a car with a 100Kw battery, and a newer model (Facelift front fascia) not because of the looks, I actually prefer the original front, but for the evolving technology. I'd really like to have AT LEAST a car with AP2, if not FSD. The MS85 I have is thrilling to drive, but the Dual Motor experience is AMAZING! The 2nd Gen seats are much more comfortable than GEN1, and the newer (late 2016+) models come with a center console - mine, I had to get an aftermarket center console. All in all, the things I would do differently aren't enough to make me want to change my car for new MS, or a 3, but I definitely will be more demanding in a couple years when I am ready to move on up.

Range is a real concern. If you're REALLY only going to use the car for 20 mile commutes, the 60-75Kw battery is probably fine. But be aware that practical range versus ideal range are significantly different. On a 60Kw battery, you're gonna be limited on your practical range to about 150-175 miles. You mentioned a price point of around 40K, 35K preferred. If you can scale yourself back to a base Model 3, you'll get a new car, new battery, 270 mile range, faster charging, full warranty.... Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: zannman
Range is a real concern. If you're REALLY only going to use the car for 20 mile commutes, the 60-75Kw battery is probably fine.
How long is your commute that a your 85 is a concern to you? Do you charge every night at home?

PS> 85's have about the same range as 75's, since 85 is really 81 (yes, Tesla rounds up cattery capacity to the nearest 5KWh, now they stopped advertising battery capacity completely) and it has twice the brick buffer (so 77 usable), while 75 is actually a 75 with 73 usable, plus 75's are newer tech so more efficient.

Come to NY :)

All seriousness, mine has over 70k miles now and fingers-crossed, still in the original drive motors. What’s the indication besides the milling noise?

Not too long ago, my car was in for service and they gave me a 2014 P85 loaner named "Judd Hirsch" of all things. The loaner car had a failing drive motor and you can hear the thing coming from at least a block away. The noise it makes is seriously loud and sounds terrible. I was embarrassed to drive it around my neighborhood.

How long is your commute that a your 85 is a concern to you? Do you charge every night at home?

PS> 85's have about the same range as 75's, since 85 is really 81 (yes, Tesla rounds up cattery capacity to the nearest 5KWh, now they stopped advertising battery capacity completely) and it has twice the brick buffer (so 77 usable), while 75 is actually a 75 with 73 usable, plus 75's are newer tech so more efficient.

My commute is 100 miles round trip. The 85 gives me two full round trips with a comfortable buffer. Even a 60 would give me what I need for the commute since I have a Super Charger a block off the freeway 4 miles from the house, and a HPWC at home in my garage. I was simply commenting that range is a real concern... if you are only going to be using the car for usual day to day things and commute of 30 miles, 60 will be fine. But if you're taking it out on longish drives where chargers aren't as conveniently located, like national parks, etc. then springing for a bigger battery might really be a wise idea after all is considered.

Gwelo if you really are out in the boonies of southern AZ I’d go for range over dual motor.
AP1 is better than none and to me a sign that it’s a little newer with better build quality.

Frankly though I like our 2018 Model 3 better than our 2014 S85: much more range, much faster charging, better sound, sportier handling, AP2.5, comfier seats, better headlights and door pockets! For $40k you can find an early 2018 RWD long range (all were ‘loaded’ at that time) with factory warranty.