Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My commute is 100 miles round trip. The 85 gives me two full round trips with a comfortable buffer. Even a 60 would give me what I need for the commute since I have a Super Charger a block off the freeway 4 miles from the house, and a HPWC at home in my garage. I was simply commenting that range is a real concern... if you are only going to be using the car for usual day to day things and commute of 30 miles, 60 will be fine. But if you're taking it out on longish drives where chargers aren't as conveniently located, like national parks, etc. then springing for a bigger battery might really be a wise idea after all is considered.

I have a 2016 60D and have the same commute as you. HPWC at home and at work, SC 2 miles from work on my way home. The HPWC at work is a great addition and made it more comfortable for range anxiety since I tend to go to meetings from work at any given time, so I gain back the 47-ish miles that I used to get to work before lunch time.

We’ve driven the 60D from NY to Key West and back twice to date. We never had an issue with charging.

it really just requires a bit of planning but not much. This past summer, we drove my wife’s MX100D from NY to the Fremont Factory and put 7,300 miles. No issues with charging or range anxiety whatsoever.

My commute is 100 miles round trip. The 85 gives me two full round trips with a comfortable buffer. Even a 60 would give me what I need for the commute since I have a Super Charger a block off the freeway 4 miles from the house, and a HPWC at home in my garage. I was simply commenting that range is a real concern... if you are only going to be using the car for usual day to day things and commute of 30 miles, 60 will be fine. But if you're taking it out on longish drives where chargers aren't as conveniently located, like national parks, etc. then springing for a bigger battery might really be a wise idea after all is considered.
Range is absolutely a consideration. Everyone should be buying a car which will meet their demand. If one commutes more than 200 miles a day and lives somewhere with cold winters, they should probably consider an ICE car, even if there are superchargers along the way (adding 20 minutes to your commute every day adds up, way more if there is a line of cars waiting to charge), but especially if there aren't any, or if it's 20-40 minutes out of your way to get to one.

Range is absolutely a consideration. Everyone should be buying a car which will meet their demand. If one commutes more than 200 miles a day and lives somewhere with cold winters, they should probably consider an ICE car, even if there are superchargers along the way (adding 20 minutes to your commute every day adds up, way more if there is a line of cars waiting to charge), but especially if there aren't any, or if it's 20-40 minutes out of your way to get to one.

Fortunately, my total commute is only "roughly" 100 miles (more like 90-ish).