Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Test Drive - Initial Impressions And Buying Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came from an outback with the i4 Premium so even chill mode is far faster. That said, I ended up with boost but alas am now used to that. But I couldn't justify a the P. NJ had a $5,000 rebate but the P was above the cutoff. As it was I was $10 below the cutoff with the color, hitch, and wheels so I had to buy AB & FSD after delivery. I am feeling there ain't quite enough acceleration now even in sport. I guess you always get used to that and end up wanting more.

Cool And I think u will like it. 75 miles per day is easy, you might wish your commute was longer. I don’t think charging on a 120 circuit would net much in winter maybe 1-2 miles per hour depending on how cold but just install a wall charger at home on a 60amp circuit and you will be more than set. If you can keep the daily mileage in winter to about 200 u will be fine. I’d charge it every night to 90% so it’s ready, never know when u need to drive more than expected. Other than range (and expense) this car is a no brainer, you won’t want another ICE if you can make this work. The merge in a P is insane, almost unfair lol. You can leave the cars trying to box you out literally off the horizon in a few seconds. Just make sure no cops around !

Well - there seem to be a lot of ex-Subie owners here! I too went from a Subaru - Outback touring ‘18.

I think i may be the only owner who NEVER even test drove one before buying one. If not - well shucks - there’s two of us!

i opted for the performance version, and am glad i did. The two drive modes are Chill and Sport. i got to try the Sport mode on the way back from the Mt Kisco, NY dealer. I pulled into a gas station 🤣 to grab a water, and took a minute to futz around with the options. Decided “Sport” needed a try. 😮🤪🤣 that about sums up my reaction. I stepped on the gas pedal pulling out, and it was a ‘whoa’ moment - with a ‘holy sh!t’, a big grin, and a true LOL.

Overall, i like the Y. I’m actually leaning to lovin it, s have it all over Tesla owners for ease of ownership. Gas ‘n go is tons more convenient. Since I don’t have a home charger, it’s off the the local mall (but that’s only 2 miles) with my tea and kindle after prime time to charge up. I made it better… using the web access, i am able to watch Netflix… Hulu was problematic, but I can live with Netflix🤷🏼

The seat took some serious adjusting, i.e. little bit here, little bit there…. But now it is as best as I think possible (for now…). I feel the ‘bucket’ nature of the seat more so in the Tesla. They are firmer by far, and the side ‘bumps’ on them are felt. They could have kept the monocoque seat, and still given us a little headrest adjustment - it is after all a cutting edge vehicle - right?!

What I find mildly ‘disturbing’ is the apparent lightweight of the hood… seems a wee bit lighter gauge that makes me feel it could have been more robust for lack of a better term. I get it, lower weight, more miles….

There is still a lot to like, and everyone has their own yardstick with which to measure up the car. I like mine, and actually look forward to driving it each day. I am a tinkerer by nature, and already have some items on order to ‘customize‘ it. In particular the overcoil mod to smooth out the bumpy ride - oh - THAT’s the only thing I guess I’m not thrilled with - you feel all the bumps. (This mod will take it to BMWX5 level)

….haven’t made mine dance yet…..🤪👍

YMMV
Lightweight hood is more about pedestrian impact protection (really) than it is about range.
All car manufacturers' vehicles are tested for pedestrian protection (!) as well as occupant protection now.