Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First thoughts on my Model 3 vs. my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all of the nice comments above. This post is a follow up on AP2 in the model 3.

First, my comments on the model 3's AP in my original post above are strictly limited to the model 3. AP2 is a model S may be fine. From our experience to date, AP2 needs a lot of work in the model 3. We went for a mostly interstate 8 freeway ride in the model 3 today, and I eventually had to turn AP off because my usually tolerant spouse complained about the "car-sickness inducing lurching." When a car would pull out of our lane our model 3 on AP lurches ahead to fill the gap up to the set speed limit. When a car pulled in front of us from another lane, AP2 seems to overreact and slows down quickly -- at least compared to the relatively smooth transitions in our model S with AP1. I'm sure this will be fixed at some point, but it is a disappointment that AP2 on the 3 is so much worse than AP1 on the S. If the characteristics of AP2 extend to the model S, I now better understand why so many model S owners are upset.
If we can just get Tesla-only lanes designated on the freeways, we wouldn't have these problems. ;-)

• the car was not properly prepared. It had to been sent back to buff out fine scratches on the hood. They left polishing compound around the door handles and between some panels. The windshield still has something on it that needs to be removed with something stronger than glass cleaner. The latter is especially irritating.

Can you describe what is on the window, what it's like? I feel like ours have some kind of very light overspray over the whole thing - you only see 'speckles' in the right light but it's pretty much the whole window. It may also feel like something is on it, can't be sure..

thanks

• Helpful
Reactions: RBowen
When you have a chance, would you mind posting a picture with the aero covers off; would love to see it. I'm wrestling with silver, or midnight silver, in both cases without the aeros (and with the Tesla center caps and lug nut covers. I know there are plenty of these images already on the forum, but always love to see more. Each differs (lighting, angles). Thanks for the terrific review!
Keep in mind this example is after paint correction and protection has been applied. But I think the Midnight Silver my wife chose is gorgeous.
Model3 after rain rotated left.jpg

Can you describe what is on the window, what it's like? I feel like ours have some kind of very light overspray over the whole thing - you only see 'speckles' in the right light but it's pretty much the whole window. It may also feel like something is on it, can't be sure..

Yes, it seems to be some coating that was not completely removed. It creates an annoying 'sparkle' in the sun. I've tried scrubbing with window cleaner multiple times, and it is difficult to remove. The glass doesn't feel clean and smooth. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Just for the record, I think the AP software on Model 3 is actually AP2.5, not 2.0 (and according to my tech guy who scrolled through diagnostic screens on my two month old "S" this week, that is what is now going in the Ss currently and is in mine). But from your comments it appears that the two different cars, the S and the new 3s, are not reacting the same as each other.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew the hardware on the model 3 was AP2.5, but I wasn’t sure how to describe the software in a generic way.

And yes, I far far prefer autopilot on my 2016 S with AP1 hardware to autopilot on my 2018 model 3. I’m hoping (and perhaps incorrectly assuming) that software updates will eventually reverse this preference.

I've had my Model 3 for six weeks now and your thoughts are quite similar to mine, especially in terms of the obvious UI fixes. I have owned a Model S since September, 2014 when I got one of the first AP1 vehicles. In December I upgraded to a 100D with AP2.5, which I agree is a step backward in a few ways. I look forward to having FSD features start to show up in both new cars. I'm guessing that will occur in the next couple of months.

But, regardless, the Model 3 is an incredible car.

As far as the windshield film, I have used detailing clay on my windows for years. Amazing how much stuff it cleans off, and how crystal clear the windshield is afterwards.

Us plenty of quick detailer for lubrication, and some windex after claying to get the clay residual totally removed.

Reactions: ibdb
This post is a follow up on the exterior door handles. I agree with those above who said it is natural to use one's left hand on the driver's side door handles and the right hand on the passenger side door handles. However, on many (perhaps most) cars including the model S, it doesn't matter that much. On an S, you just need to pull the handle out a little, it activates the electronic opener and the door opens a bit. One can easily do this one-handed or even one-fingered using either hand.

Door opening is not as straight forward on the 3. One cannot open the door with one finger (or at least I don't know how). To open it one-handed, there are two parts to the process -- a push with the correct thumb and a pull with the remaining fingers. Of course, as the owner, you'll quickly get used to the routine. But some people who approach the car for the first time are befuddled -- thus the occasional need to instruct or demonstrate. Again, not a huge deal -- but certainly a personality quirk of model 3.
I've not tried it myself, but I have seen it done with one finger. Take your index finger and push on the end where you thumb would go and then "hook" your fingertip in the opening and pull. It was in a video I saw somewhere. Looked like pretty fluid motion when they did it.

Dragoljub - That's an adjustable item. My S (2 months old) wasn't getting enough of a sweep on the driver's side. A"traveling" Tesla service guy popped off my wiper arm from its shaft and moved it slightly, then bolted it back down to make an almost-clean sweep.

Super useful info!! I’ll get my service center to fix this.

Does the arm stick out too much on the bottom of rhe windshield after the adjustment?

Thanks for this thread! I'm am on the fence about getting in line for an M3 or an X. The feedback for a potential owner is great and does not scare me one bit.

I am one step closer. My big fear is when I get it, my wife will just take it and leave me with her 2018 Prius!

My son is currently 3D printing me a Tesla Supercharger cell phone cable holder from thingaverse....

Phone as a key. With one potentially big exception, it has worked well for me. Note that I turned off “unlock as you walk up” because you will continually be unlocking your model 3 if you work in your garage. If your garage is close to your house, it may continually unlock the car as you walk around inside with your phone. With “auto-lock as you walk up” turned off, you unlock by touching a door handle or by opening the exterior trunk release button. What you cannot do is open the front trunk (the frunk) without the huge hassle of getting out your phone, finding the Tesla app, waiting for it to find your car, clicking on controls, and finally clicking on open frunk. Those that want to actively use their frunk need to lobby Tesla to make an optional fob.
I have a few updated reactions to using the locking related issues:
1. Using my iPhone as a key has failed to work on at least two occasions in the past week. Fortunately, I was still able to open the car using the Tesla app.
2. Even after turning off “unlock as you walk up,” the car still reacts to your presence by making irritating clunking sounds as you move around the garage. My S does not do this. Plugging in the Model 3 seems to minimize (and perhaps even eliminate) the issue, but IMO this should be unnecessary.

Hopefully software updates will fix these (and other) issues.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
RBowen,

Car guys think alike. My resume is very similar to yours with 20 years of vintage racing thrown in, so (I think) I know how to interpret what you have told us. I'm doing the studies for the car for my wife because I love learning about new cars & tech. While she has decided that she wants a 'smaller' Tesla, cars are just utilities to her.

We were lucky enough to get a 45 minute 'test ride' with a friend of my nephew. I had two major concerns. #1, Would the 'tech' overcome my wife? Probably not. #2, Is the car too harsh & jiggly? (I had a 2004 M3, the real BMW version. After her first drive in the car, [highway, not the twisties] she said she felt sick and never got in the car again.) After driving the car as a daily driver for a year, I finally agreed with her and sold it.

I waited a year for a new model AMG a few years after that. The only test drive I had in that car was a quick ride with three large, heavy Merc reps. It felt fine, but I got it and found that it was too stiff & harsh to be an enjoyable daily driver. It wasn't punishing, just not pleasant. You and I know that all suspension tuning is a compromise somewhere between old school Cadillac and Formula One race car. Some manufacturers have the money, time, and engineering expertise to do a better job than others.

So, where did I come out on the ride of the car? There aren't many pot holes or expansion joint around Foster City, CA. There were 4 of us in the car. I found it a bit too "wanna be sports car-ish", but still acceptable.

BTW, have you tried a razor blade on the windshield? Thanks again for the great write-up.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and DR61
About people using the "wrong" handle to open the front doors. Shouldn't Tesla be able to cause the windows to go down slightly when the manual door handle is used the same way they go down when using the correct door button?
My understanding is the emergency, interior door release is mechanical, while the interior button is electrical and connected to the electrical window. There is no way for a mechanical release to operate the electrical window in a power failure.

DW had a VW convertible with a mechanical door release was connected to the electrical window to lower it upon entry or exit. One time the car lost power and when she entered the car, the window didn't go down that half inch. That turned out to be a $1000 repair bill!

I had to hit the accelerator to merge with traffic coming out of the Service Center and it startled me. There was a little bit of salt and sand on the street and the car fishtailed just a bit. I have found it impossible to spin a tire in my AWD Model S but the lighter car with RWD showed me it will spin tires quite easily.

@nutts1 - Maybe check your tire pressure? The first day we had our 3, I felt the rear tires spin a little bit when having fun accelerating into a turn, on dry, flat pavement. Turned out all the tires were at 48 PSI at delivery. Since lowering them to 45 I haven't had any slippage.

I've heard brand new tires can also have a little residual oil on them which wears off after a couple hundred miles, so that may be a factor too?