Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First thoughts on my Model 3 vs. my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exterior J-shaped door handles are cool looking but awkward. For smooth one-hand operation, you have to approach the handle from the correct side using the correct hand. (I cannot believe I am writing this. It reminds me of Apple telling users they were holding their iPhone incorrectly!) For the Driver’s side, use your left hand standing to the rear side of the handle. Push with your thumb and grab the handle that extends out with your fingers. For the Passenger side, use your right thumb and fingers standing to the rear side of the handle. You will get used to it, but your new passengers will not. It will make them feel stupid, which is not good.

Have you tried the 2 finger method? Push in with index and middle finger and let them slip behind the handle and pull from the same side you pushed.

I haven't done it but I saw it in a video and that person said it was easier than any other method they had tried.

They are only steering wheel and side mirror adjust knobs when in those profile configuration settings. Otherwise they don't adjust your profile settings full time. If that made any sense.
Yes, it does.

So it's potential that they intend, with future software updates, to extend that design such that when using TACC they'll be active alternative controls for that?

So it's potential that they intend, with future software updates, to extend that design such that when using TACC they'll be active alternative controls for that?

I sure hope so. Adjusting the TACC speed on the touchscreen is cumbersome and difficult (hitting the little plus and minus targets on either side of the speed setting is challenging while driving on bumpy LA freeways), and setting the follow distance is even worse, since it's buried in a second-level settings menu.

I hope in the future the right knob will be used to adjust speed (up/down) and follow distance (left/right). That will be a massive improvement!

Sidenote: I'd also like to see a much bolder indication on the screen that TACC or Auto-steer is enabled. Since it's not directly in front on the binnacle, it's harder to tell when it's engaged and when it's not. I think the entire left side of the display background should change from white to blue, so you can tell instantly in your peripheral vision if it's engaged or not.

(Update: I just submitted all of the above in the "Ask a question" tool on my vehicle profile page, and checked the box to report to the executive team. Hope they're listening!)

Last edited:
I concur with essentially all your observations apart from a couple that seem to have been unique to your delivery site.

On your request list, I strongly support the request for steering wheel speed adjustment. I'm getting more accustomed to poking the screen and while that may be adequate for highway travel, on any other road it would be much safer to put things that control the motion of the car on the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Having the AP speed adjustment on the screen is plain dump, stupid. The steering wheel adjustment and the AP controls should be swapped.

Yes, I am shocked how slow is Tesla at fixing this via update. It is such obvious stupid error on their side, every single owner, review is pointing this out. They have solution right under their nose and they do nothing. More and more negative reviews are plaguing internet because of this and Tesla seems they do not care. What a shame. They could fix this Day 1 with over the air update, yet half year will pass soon and no change. Its such pain to see this for me.

Yes, I am shocked how slow is Tesla at fixing this via update. It is such obvious stupid error on their side, every single owner, review is pointing this out. They have solution right under their nose and they do nothing. More and more negative reviews are plaguing internet because of this and Tesla seems they do not care. What a shame. They could fix this Day 1 with over the air update, yet half year will pass soon and no change. Its such pain to see this for me.

A reminder from the Department of Software is Hard; The programmers not yet completing and shipping the implementation of a given item on the planned feature list doesn't constitute an "error" and probably isn't even "stupid". This isn't your dad's car. For better and worse, Tesla's normal course of business enhance their cars with added features post-delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew

Me thinks, Tesla team doesn't think this is an issue. A fix will come only if they believe this is a problem. Rather this would not have been designed if they didn't believe that is the right thing to do. I don't believe this was an oversight, but a deliberate decision to move all controls to the screen.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Noise: the drive train much quieter than my S 75D, as there is no continuous varying motor whine that Tesla service told me was “normal.”

Very detailed review. Thank you.

This may have been mentioned here already, however the rear-wheel drive Model S does not have the whining noise that you hear from dual-motor options. This is based on all the D loaners I have driven which have this noticeable whine. The front motor is the obvious culprit, which like the non-D Model S, the non-all-wheel drive of the 3 is free of this noise.

Me thinks, Tesla team doesn't think this is an issue. A fix will come only if they believe this is a problem. Rather this would not have been designed if they didn't believe that is the right thing to do. I don't believe this was an oversight, but a deliberate decision to move all controls to the screen.
Well I do not agree with this. These two scroll wheels on the stearing wheel are basicaly not used. The right one does nothing at all except changing the position of the stearing wheel. The software is definately not finished at all. Those should be multifunctional, changing their function based on what is happening in a car

Very interesting and can't wait for mine.

However, the mirrors were already adjusted via the thumbwheels, albeit in a special mode. How does it work with the update? What happened to sound volume control?

Also please describe how does the ACC work? One click per mph or ? Any function for sideways clicks?