TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First thread, usual first question...

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by doctorwho, Jan 3, 2014.

1. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Hi all
    I'm an Australian excited at the coming arrival of Tesla S now that RHD drive production has started. Unfortunately it's coinciding with a big change for me that will make the choice of car more difficult. We currently live in Melbourne, a city of around 4 million people but are planning this year to tree-change, sell our suburban home and buy a small central apartment and rebuild our home in a beautiful sub-Alpine area about 320kms away. My wife and I will work mainly in the rural area but regularly commute and work in Melbourne. Our rural travelling will be 100kms to 200kms a day (big country) but I'm concerned about the commute and whether the car will have the required range without running the battery to the limit every drive down and up. The drive will be on a divided freeway with a 110km/hr speed for the most part, some hills but mainly flat. Temperature range will be between -5 degrees C in winter, and 45 degrees C in summer although both are rare extremes. I'd plan to put in a charger at either end but the electric car infrastructure here is extremely rudimentary and we have an antagonistic Government that thinks that climate change is a left wing plot so I'm not expecting a big change in the near future. Has anyone commuted those distances? If so what power rating do I need to think about? I'd even think about putting in a recharging station at my own expense half way along the freeway if it isn't too expensive.

2. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

320km is certainly doable provided you keep around the speed limit and pay attention to the weather. Strong headwinds or heavy precipitation will require you to slow down or choose another vehicle. I've managed 320km on a range charge in -15 C weather averaging 110km/h with heavy crosswinds. You'll want a charger at your work location for the return trip.

Locally it certainly won't be an issue for you. Will you have access to an ICE vehicle if weather conditions are prohibitive and you have to make it to Melbourne?

Welcome to the forum and I hope deliveries start soon in Australia.

3. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

It sounds as though you will be well within range parameters on all fronts. Good-sounding plans, too! I know, from long long ago, the Thredbo area (but am assuming you're talking more on the lines of Bright, perchance?).
    Even with your government's stance, is solar a possibility for you at your new location (Melbourne, I recall, has never seen blue sky in its history.....;) )? Do remember not to follow an Alaskan's advice, and face those panels north :biggrin:...
    Also: if there are RV parks along your 320km route, finding those with 50amp charge sites can become a hoped-not-needed boost if things ever become dicey.
    Lastly: in <strikethrough>English</strikethrough> American, ;) where does the term "tree-change" come from ????????

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Will the AU spec cars have the equivalent of "twin chargers"? If you are going to do the commute in both directions on the same day you'll want the ability rapid charge, which in the US requires twin chargers and an HPWC at 240/80A.

I've been to Melbourne twice. Great city.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

fyi my daily commute is 210 miles round trip (337km). I have put on 34k miles in just over 7 months. I charge in both locations, but essentially do a full discharge cycle daily. I have seen no real degradation whatsover. I still see range charges > 255 and even one 265 when I was at 26k miles. This commute is much further than yours, so my advice would be get the S85 or P85 and enjoy with absolutely no worries whatsover ;)

6. lloyds

lloyds Member

Holy! Those are taxi miles! Have you noticed any decreased rated range @ from 80%? Assuming you supercharge frequently...

7. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Ye's I'm moving to the Ovens Valley, just near Bright so good guess! We will be building a 'passive haus' style house here with a 4kW PV system. I've seen people refer to RV park charging here, what would they use a 50amp charger for there?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I forgot, sea changers are people who move from a city to the sea side, tree changers move to the 'bush' (country side)

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure of the local specs, I'm still waiting for Tesla to contact me

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I've only supercharged once. Haven't really noticed any decreased rated range @ 80%.

9. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

RV Parks: In NoAm, this is a fall-back possibility for Teslas wandering out in the bush. :rolleyes: Or to say, in that motorhome owners often need and look for a "resort" that offers fairly high-amperage plug-ins, a Model S owner otherwise unable to find a dedicated EV charge site can make use of this to obtain a charge. In NoAm, 50 amp (240V, of course) is the largest such outlet available at an RV site (we also can find 40A, 30A and 30A/120V, which otherwise are known respectively as slow, glacial and comatose). Members of this forum have had a variety of luck at such locations, from RV parks who waive any fee for charging, to those who extract the same fare an overnight RV would pay, to some refusing to allow an EV on the property. Good to learn this in advance....

10. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Thanks for your responses, I notice that most of the confidence comes from S85 or P85 owners. What would be the realistic range expectation for a S60?

11. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Hi Dr Who,
    I live in Sydney and have a holiday house on Bundanoon, in the Southern highlands, about 30 minutes past Bowral. That makes it almost exactly 160 Km door to door.
    I have been following Tesla since just after the Roadster announcement (2006) and have had an opportunity to talk to the local Tesla people about charging my Model S when it comes.
    I live in an apartment so I started early with planning the electrical outlets.
    I have installed 32 Amp power sources at both places, single phase in Sydney and 3 phase in Bundanoon.
    I got the electrician to install Clipsal 56SO532 sockets which match the 56P532 plug that was supplied with the Roadster. The Roadster also came with a standard 10Amp plug.
    N.B. (56 = IP56 water proof rating; P = Plug; SO = Socket; 5 = 5 pins; 32 = 32 Amps)
    This 5 pin plug supports 3 phase and single phase, but even if they don't go with this particular combination it should be easy to change.
    My guess is that the Australian Models S will be similar to the European Model S in terms of charge ports as Australia has 3 phase availability too.
    It didn't cost a lot more to supply 3 phase to the Bundanoon house when I built it and I would recommend you do the same.
    Good luck.

12. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Thanks meloccom, perhaps its just because it's Xmas break but I've been waiting over a week for Tesla local people to call me and they haven't, I'm keen to know if they plan to install local charging infrastructure here