Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time at a supercharger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plugged in at a supercharger for the first time today in Sarasota, FL.
It was a cool experience, although it was practically a ghost town (a lot of the surrounding stores are still under construction).

IMG_2871.jpeg

IMG_2870.jpeg

Nicely centered between the lines. Steer carefully to stay clear of the curbs to avoid wheel rash. Enjoy your Tesla!

You know, interestingly enough I backed in to a point where I was comfortable (as shown on the backup camera), got out and reached for the cable, only to find out I was about a foot short. Is it typical to have to back up to where the rear bumper is overhanging the parking block?

You know, interestingly enough I backed in to a point where I was comfortable (as shown on the backup camera), got out and reached for the cable, only to find out I was about a foot short. Is it typical to have to back up to where the rear bumper is overhanging the parking block?
Hm.... I've not even tried a SuC yet, but when I back in, I *always* go until the bottom of frame is where I want the back of the car to be. That's the indicator on my X, at least. I do believe the SuC's are made so you can back up all the way until the tires touch the 'stops' on purpose. If they don't have stops that's a weird configuration. Most do that I've seen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
Hm.... I've not even tried a SuC yet, but when I back in, I *always* go until the bottom of frame is where I want the back of the car to be. That's the indicator on my X, at least. I do believe the SuC's are made so you can back up all the way until the tires touch the 'stops' on purpose. If they don't have stops that's a weird configuration. Most do that I've seen.

That seems like a good policy, I'll be trying that next time! I've always owned low cars and got very worries about scraping up the bumper over time.

That seems like a good policy, I'll be trying that next time! I've always owned low cars and got very worries about scraping up the bumper over time.
I hear you.... my old BMW had a pretty trashed front 'air dam' as it would scrape on everything. The X is a joy to drive, since (1) you can see where you are backing in, and (2) it has the ground clearance!

I hear you.... my old BMW had a pretty trashed front 'air dam' as it would scrape on everything. The X is a joy to drive, since (1) you can see where you are backing in, and (2) it has the ground clearance!

I agree! I've driven my friend's X and it's great! One of the best SUVs I've driven, and I'm not an SUV person. Only thing I wasn't terribly fond of was the amount of attention it received. In a town where Teslas are reasonably common, I was a reasonably surprised to see so many people taking photos of it while we were parked at the mall. It is a $150k car though so I guess that's understandable.

Yes. this is typical. Usually there are low black and yellow tire stops. These are low enough to clear the body and let you know how far to back up. Do I trust them explicitly? No. Summon is your friend. Get back to a distance that makes you comfortable, then get out and use Summon to back up while watching the clearance. You have to get out and go back there anyway to plug in, so why not?

Yes. this is typical. Usually there are low black and yellow tire stops. These are low enough to clear the body and let you know how far to back up. Do I trust them explicitly? No. Summon is your friend. Get back to a distance that makes you comfortable, then get out and use Summon to back up while watching the clearance. You have to get out and go back there anyway to plug in, so why not?

I haven't taken delivery yet, the car I've been driving is a loaner until Dec. 1st so I don't have access to all the features. Can you explain how you can use summon to back into the spot? I'm sure it's pretty basic but I haven't fiddled around with it yet!

Thanks!

Most of the ones I frequently use through Oregon, Idaho and Utah don't have the parking stops, but the one in Boise does. I've used it a couple of times, and I find that they put them very far out from the Supercharger stall. Even with backing up to where your tires touch the parking stops, if you're centered between the lane lines, the Supercharger cable is really tight. You kind of need to intentionally hug the driver's side edge of the parking space for the cable to reach comfortably. I think that's farther out than they need to be.

Reactions: BerTX
I haven't taken delivery yet, the car I've been driving is a loaner until Dec. 1st so I don't have access to all the features. Can you explain how you can use summon to back into the spot? I'm sure it's pretty basic but I haven't fiddled around with it yet!

Thanks!
With Summon, you can move straight forward or straight back from outside the car using the keyfob or the mobile app. I don't use the phone because that is more links in the communication chain to go bad -- phone to cell service to internet to Tesla server to internet to cell service to car. With the fob, just press and hold the roof of the fob until the flashers go, then the front or back of the fob to move forward or backward. Any press on the fob stops the car.

So back in straight and as far back as you can comfortably go. Get out and watch the curb and summon the car backward. Go until it looks like the cable will reach and stop. If still too short, do it again.

Practice in an empty parking lot. As you say, the Summon may be disabled on a loaner ( or just not enabled for the fob -- you have to have the phone app to do that).

• Helpful
Reactions: LoL Rick
The short answer about the stops is that the sites vary. So there is no one answer, and you have to be careful. At a couple places I've almost hit the sign in the middle of the back bumper because the stop was too close and the parking sensors didn't see it.