Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

first time at an campsite electric pitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a few weeks, we'll be at our first campsite with the M3 and we've booked an electric pitch. This is in the UK.

As we've never camped with an electric pitch before, I just want to ask advice here about charging the car. The site are fine with us doing so.

Do I need an adaptor to charge and if so what? Or can I just use the standard 13A plug on something like this

TIA

• Informative
Reactions: Pajo78
I’d be wary of the capacity of the site to provide the necessary current. You should ask about max current their outlets can provide. I help run a site that has 35 caravan pitches, but they all share an 80A supply. We don’t allow EV charging because of overloading fears.

However, if they allow it, you’ll need either the adapter you mention (and you’ll be limited to 10A), or else the UMC tail that has a commando socket on the end instead of a 13A plug. That’ll give you 16A.

Don't camping sites normally present as a commando socket? Ie you'll need -something- with a blue commando socket, whatever you end up plugging into the car via.

We were at a site Thursday/Friday, didn't have a powered pitch as neither we nor the car needed it, but I did look at their set up. It looked like each pitch was on a 6a breaker. Varies massively by site obviously!

yes, you just use the power adapter in your first post + standard 3 pin granny charger connected to one of your sockets in that extension lead.

then you can connect other stuff, like cool box, phones, light to remaining ones.

This is how I do it…
32D09A18-9684-4361-917F-3D137948E26D.jpeg

I’ve since had an external socket fitted to make it even easier.

Reactions: Beady3647
nice one... making the most of that tow bar! :cool:

I've got two kids under 6 to transport too so being able to cook on an induction hob not only keeps things compact but is a lot safer with kids around.

... needless to say, campsites with no electric pitches aren't going to feature highly on our itinerary this summer😌

Interesting at one place we're booked into, when I called to ask if they were OK with EV charging, they were a bit taken aback that we asked and thanked me for doing so. They said it hadn't been something they'd ever considered before and wondered how many other EV users had simply rocked up and spent hours charging. They're looking forward to our visit as an experiment they said!

Made me wonder what the future of camping (prices) will be as more and more people switch to EVs.

Made me wonder what the future of camping (prices) will be as more and more people switch to EVs.
I would think the electricity supply infrastructure would be the biggest issue. People like to go out and about when they’re on holiday (I do anyway) so a high proportion of people staying at camp sites will probably want to charge regularly. Several cars charging at once even just using the 3 pin UCM will need a robust electricity supply which I suspect not many sites have right now.

Perhaps, although even a “entry level” three phase supply should cope with 20+ cars charging simultaneously on a granny charger.

Maybe it won’t be as much of a problem if the site operators stipulate, for instance, charging only after something like 22:00 or something like that?
A basic 3-phase supply will give you at best about 40kW. Even if you restrict charging to 10A (2.5 kW), that’ll only get you to about 15 cars.

Last edited:
Perhaps, although even a “entry level” three phase supply should cope with 20+ cars charging simultaneously on a granny charger.

Maybe it won’t be as much of a problem if the site operators stipulate, for instance, charging only after something like 22:00 or something like that?
What’s an “entry level” 3-phase supply 🤣?

It depends on what you have inhereted (or requested from your DNO) but in the supply upgrades I’ve done with UKPN over the years we’ve installed typically either a 100A per phase 3-phase supply (nominally a 70 kVA supply) or the next step up is 200A per phase which has a gigantic supply cutout. Some DNOs allow an intermediate supply upgrade between these.