Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

first time at an campsite electric pitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s an “entry level” 3-phase supply 🤣?

It depends on what you have inhereted (or requested from your DNO) but in the supply upgrades I’ve done with UKPN over the years we’ve installed typically either a 100A per phase 3-phase supply (nominally a 70 kVA supply) or the next step up is 200A per phase which has a gigantic supply cutout. Some DNOs allow an intermediate supply upgrade between these.
The 3 phase supply at our premises is only 3x60A, so only about 42kW. I guess it depends on the local infrastructure what you can get.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
The 3 phase supply at our premises is only 3x60A, so only about 42kW. I guess it depends on the local infrastructure what you can get.
That would be historic. 60A single phase supply was commonplace. I don’t believe your DNO will install that now if upgrading to three phase. The bad news is if the LV transformer needs an uplift you get charged a proportional share of the cost, based on the proportion your uprated supply will take up.

I camp when I'm mountain biking and find that the availability of campsite charging is variable. A lot of hook ups are 10A and you can (with permission) connect up and dial the car back to 6 or 7 amps. That's enough to put 30 or 40 miles in over night.

However I'm up in Reeth in Swaledale next weekend and the campsite there is only 6A hook-up and expressly forbids EV charging. Fortunately Scotch Corner is only 30 minutes or so away so no big deal, but you do have to plan in advance. I have a good quality 15m extension with commando connector and from that I can power the fridge in the tent, heater and the car (when permitted).

Here's my rig - the gazebo is a game changer and is great for changing, storage, cooking oh and housing the mini-bar :)

tent.jpg

Reactions: kuruma and Sean.
Good to hear positive campsite experiences. Would you mind letting us know which campsites you stayed at @kuruma and @spon88? Planning to camp in Western Lake District next week (after August bank holiday).

I think I got the okayed from the NT site at Eskdale (Wasdale is fully booked and I think this site has a separate EV charging point), they initially thought I was asking for dedicated EV charging point, but when I said I can use their standard electric hook up, they didn't seem to have a problem about that.

I then called another site, who also had no problem with me using their EHU to charge my EV car, but had a problem when they heard I was going to sleep in the car. They took such a big issue against car sleeping. So sleeping in a campervan is okay, but not sleeping in a car->being used as a camper. You can argue what the difference between the 2, considering I can sleep and cook in my Tesla, but at the end of the day I don't want to risk booking and then turned away on the day. We don't occupy more space than the campervans/motorhomes and pay the same fees. Interestingly I have read their T&C on their website and they never mentioned they don't allow car sleeping.

So I think I'm going ahead and book Eskdale, although I haven't rung back to ask if they have any issue with me sleeping inside my car! But maybe I'll pay a bit more to allow awning/gazebo/extra tent (an extra £5/day) so if anyone looks suspicious it can look as if I am sleeping in the tent next to my car, seeing as that is fine but if I decided to sleep inside my car then it's not okay.

that's bonkers they won't let you sleep in a car that's designed for sleeping in!

In the Lakes, we stayed at Hillcroft something or other near Pooley Bridge. Noisy though, and the warden didn't seem to be able to make anyone shut up after curfew so def not recommended if you have young kids who need their sleep like we did. Sleeping in the car you should be fine.

Earlier this summer, we stayed at Elm Cottage Touring Park in Cheshire. I'd rung them to ask if EV charging was OK and they had said thanks for asking but they hadn't even thought about it. By the time we were making our arrangements to go there, I noticed that their website had introduced a £20 a day (!) surcharge for EV or hybrid charging. I called to see if this was being implemented but it seems that they simply stuck that on to cover themselves for people who don't fess up and admit that's what they're doing. In the end, I kept a record of the charge we used and ended up paying 42p/kWh for our usage which turned out to be about £40 over the week we were there (and we were out and about a lot). Much cheaper than the £140 they had in mind! I did tell them that kind of thing on their web page would make me look elsewhere. Really nice clean campsite though. We enjoyed our time there on the whole.

They did say that by next season, they'd have dedicated EV points installed and a ban on charging via the hook up. I said that this was likely to cause issues with people fighting over the charger or leaving it plugged in overnight so no one else can access it. They did seem like they hadn't really got a clue how to deal with the increase in EVs and the impact on their business.

I think this is going to become a hot issue over the next few years and that some sites will start taking EV users for a ride with surcharges. We'll prob look to base ourselves near superchargers for camping next summer if things start going that way.

Good to hear positive campsite experiences. Would you mind letting us know which campsites you stayed at @kuruma and @spon88? Planning to camp in Western Lake District next week (after August bank holiday).

I think I got the okayed from the NT site at Eskdale (Wasdale is fully booked and I think this site has a separate EV charging point), they initially thought I was asking for dedicated EV charging point, but when I said I can use their standard electric hook up, they didn't seem to have a problem about that.

I then called another site, who also had no problem with me using their EHU to charge my EV car, but had a problem when they heard I was going to sleep in the car. They took such a big issue against car sleeping. So sleeping in a campervan is okay, but not sleeping in a car->being used as a camper. You can argue what the difference between the 2, considering I can sleep and cook in my Tesla, but at the end of the day I don't want to risk booking and then turned away on the day. We don't occupy more space than the campervans/motorhomes and pay the same fees. Interestingly I have read their T&C on their website and they never mentioned they don't allow car sleeping.

So I think I'm going ahead and book Eskdale, although I haven't rung back to ask if they have any issue with me sleeping inside my car! But maybe I'll pay a bit more to allow awning/gazebo/extra tent (an extra £5/day) so if anyone looks suspicious it can look as if I am sleeping in the tent next to my car, seeing as that is fine but if I decided to sleep inside my car then it's not okay.
Recent sites - all for mountain biking trips, all different parts of the UK. Charged fine at all but the one mentioned.

Reeth North Yorkshire Home Page (no EV charging allowed but close enough to Scotch Corner)

All decent sites.

@spon88 - that’s great! I’m gonna start keeping a list!

They did say that by next season, they'd have dedicated EV points installed and a ban on charging via the hook up.
This makes sense from safety point of view/avoiding tripping their fuse, and probably would be cheaper to install dedicated EV chargers than updating all their existing EHUs. But I wonder how much extra cost they would charge for that! I mean, I’m looking at a very nice campsite right by Ullswater shoreline that’s charging £55 for the premium all inclusive (but I think still another £3 extra for me for the dog) vs a nice pub/B&B by Hardknott Pass/steepest road in England that is offering midweek deal £120/3 nights B&B!

how to deal with the increase in EVs and the impact on their business.

If there are only a few of us, then we’d probably can have “gentleman’s agreement” and take turns sharing the charger. Anymore than that it’ll be like a valet service, which is what they do in California.

I’ve had my car for 3 years now and I’ve noticed the motorway superchargers are getting busier. But I have never needed to queue, although last time I saw another car that had to queue, they got in just a few minutes after I arrived!

Also there is an increasing number of electric van… their range is still limited though, 24kW-40kW batteries.

I think there is a negative connotation of “sleeping in a car” like some homeless riff raff which the campsite is trying to avoid. But I have read their T&Cs and they never mentioned no car sleeping!

www.quantockcamping.com

Groups | Dog Friendly | Boutique campsite | Quantock Camping | West Bagborough

Small, family run glampsite located within walking distance of the Quantock Hills and our local pub. Dog-friendly.
www.quantockcamping.com
www.quantockcamping.com
This one has expressly quoted £8.50 for overnight or all day EV charging.

www.longmeadowcampsite.com

This one has specifically said NO to sleeping in cars or unconverted vans, for reasons of ventilation and CO detection. But with camp mode and the HVAC on, then it’s not an issue with our cars! And no I don’t intend to run a gas cooker INSIDE my car. But who wants to start that discussion? And if you get a different staff on arrival than the one on the phone? It seems setting up a car tent/gazebo/awning next to your car is the way to go… or choose a different site.

Severn Valley - looks lovely but due to nearby livestock is not dog friendly.

Seriously considering taking my sons (or just one of them dependant upon interest from them!) on a Tesla camping trip (when I get the M3P) and this thread has been invaluable...

Going to get:

1X 16a UMC adapter...
or
1 x commando 16amp extension and granny charge

And a mattress for the Tesla and a privacy screen of some kind..

I think my youngest in particular will love it..

Reactions: LavanyaLea
Any recommendations on a campsite in the South West UK which allows EV charging and sleeping in the car ?

Found a site which we were about to book but they have confirmed we can't charge the car there :(
not many places will let you charge at the pitch. they just don't have the spare amps.
your best bet might be one with one or two onsite chargers ( or DC chargers near by) in which case Zapmap might be worth a look?

1673358320700.png