Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time at Buttonwillow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was awesome having @mcbarnet007 showing me the lines for my first track day at BRP. This was a two-day SCCA event. I was able to get four 20min sessions on Saturday, then three 20min sessions on Sunday. BRP was a fun track, but visually it was difficult to remember the turns, especially without enough sleep. :eek: The best I could do on Saturday was a 2:13.26. On Sunday with a bit more rest overnight and some encouragement from @mcbarnet007 I was able to shave the time from to 2:11, 2:10, 2:09 then boom, 2:06.415.

Whoa, McBarnet was hauling a lot of a$$ half-way through that clip...is his car stock?

modifications:
18x9.5 Ambit FF3 with 265/40/18 NT01
Mountainpass Performance AWD Sport coilovers
Mountainpass Performance rear Toe and Camber suspension arms
MPP front upper control arm for camber adjustment
Prototype Endless endurance racing pads
Stock rotors with heatshield removed w/ Castro SRF fluid and MPP stainless steel line
UPP rear stabilizer bar

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Nice break through! You were keeping up with me on the first 1/3 of the track. But we gotta work on your camera setting. I am having a migraine after watching your video. Try turning off video stabilization and set focus to infinity in your app.

Hahah. o_Oo_Oo_O

The middle 1/3 of the track is where I lose time. Anyway, I'm happy with the result for the amount of time I devote to it.

modifications:
18x9.5 Ambit FF3 with 265/40/18 NT01
Mountainpass Performance AWD Sport coilovers
Mountainpass Performance rear Toe and Camber suspension arms
MPP front upper control arm for camber adjustment
Prototype Endless endurance racing pads
Stock rotors with heatshield removed w/ Castro SRF fluid and MPP stainless steel line
UPP rear stabilizer bar

You really were hauling ass, are you going to tell everyone what your time was? 1:56?

You really were hauling ass, are you going to tell everyone what your time was? 1:56?

The only way I can get to 56 in that setup is if I know how to pause time. However, if you put Sasha in it with the latest 5% increase plus basic aeros, I can see 56.x happening!

Last time I did BRP with NT01 I was in the 2:04.x range. With the MPP front camber arm and MPP Sport coilovers I was able to do 2:01.x consistently. I think if I clean up some mistakes here and there a sub 2 is doable. The camber arm also helps with front end grip which makes the car rotate better. I can use the go pedal to make the car rotate nicely at corner exit easily. Thanks for developing the arm! It's so easy to go from street to track spec on the fly.

NT01 is harder to drive for new drivers compare to RE71r in my opinion as it has tendency to let go a little before catching itself again. This helps with the corner entry rotation but I feel like it messes with the traction control a little as well as not as confidence inspiring. RE71r just grips and grips and then falls off gradually at the limit which is what I prefer. NT01 is great for practice however since you're forced to anticipate and react when the rear steps out.

I took @beastmode13 car for a drive on track to see how the XT970 pad work and almost rear ended a Corvette ZR1! A car spun right at the exit of the sweeper/entry of esses and ZR1 came almost to a full stop which I didn't see until the last minute. Fortunately XT970 worked well and was able to stopped the car in time. I think the pad has very good bite but has inconsistent pedal feel. The bite does not feel linear and is best to use it as a on/off brake by smashing it in the brake zone and releasing it right away so you're not over slowing in the corner. Fortunately track mode has sufficient regen to use for trail braking so it complemented the pad nicely.

I can't wait to get back to BRP to test out the 5% power increase. You can actually hear a different motor sound when you full throttle it.

Reactions: SD_Engnr