Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time buyer advice - MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I'm new here and was planning on buying a MYP but since it is close to the end of 2022, I need some advice. Delivery times for MYPs are Nov-Dec 2022 currently, should I wait until the end of December to get a 2023 vehicle or does it not matter at this point since it seems like some people are getting 2023 VINs? Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and was planning on buying a MYP but since it is close to the end of 2022, I need some advice. Delivery times for MYPs are Nov-Dec 2022 currently, should I wait until the end of December to get a 2023 vehicle or does it not matter at this point since it seems like some people are getting 2023 VINs? Any advice is appreciated, thank you!
I ordered a MYP on 11/3 and my Tesla rep confirmed I would be getting a 2023 model. EDD is Nov 19 - Dec 3.

Nice! Congrats! I'm guessing you made the order at a Tesla store with a rep instead of just going through the Tesla website right? Or do you get assigned a rep once you order?
Yah I scheduled a nice test drive and they let me take a MYP for an hour. Very helpful even though I could have just ordered online. He said it helps him when he gets to do it with me.

Reactions: skola
Unless you get an unlucky reject or an existing inventory (to which you can reject) any new builds/vins starting now and moving forward should all be 2023.

Oh I see. Yeah I've been trying to decide whether or not to wait also... I'm also afraid they'll raise prices as soon as it hits 1/1/23. What would you do in this position?
Depends on how much you want that tax credit. Since it's already 11/14 and you have not placed the order, I would just wait it out until December time frame. Just keep your pulse to any potential price hike. Once the EDD on their website clicks over to 2023, put in the order in Dec. The gotcha with performance model is that it's one that Tesla likes to push out since it cost more so they might want to churn those out before the end of the calendar year.

Depends on how much you want that tax credit. Since it's already 11/14 and you have not placed the order, I would just wait it out until December time frame. Just keep your pulse to any potential price hike. Once the EDD on their website clicks over to 2023, put in the order in Dec. The gotcha with performance model is that it's one that Tesla likes to push out since it cost more so they might want to churn those out before the end of the calendar year.
That makes sense - I'll wait until sometime in December to place an order. Thanks so much! 👍

Reactions: ord3r
It depends on what your goal(s) is/are.
- If your goal is to get a 2023 model year, then I’d say you’re in the clear.
- If your goal is to qualify for any federal rebates to be made available after 01/01/2023, then I would say to wait to order until Christmas weekend.

(NOTE: Ordered my TESLA Model Y LR/AWD on 09/20/2022 and received my 2023 TESLA Model Y LR/AWD in NOV2022.)

Can I ask why you want a Model Y Performance? Why not order the Model Y (LR/AWD) instead and purchase the software Acceleration Boost for $2k? The Model Y Performance (0-60mph @ 3.5sec) costs $4k more than the LR/AWD (0-60mph @ 4.8sec) and has 27mi less range. For the same price as a Model Y Performance, you can buy a Model Y (LR/AWD) with 20” Induction Wheels and the software Acceleration Boost, which will provide 318mi of range (vs. 303mi with the Model Y Performance) and 0-60mph @ 4.2sec. Is 15mi increased range worth trading 1” smaller wheels and a 0.7sec slower 0-60mph time?

sts $4k more than the LR/AWD (0-60mph @ 4.8sec) and has 27mi less range. For the same price as a Model Y Performance, you can buy a Model Y (LR/AWD) with 20” Induction Wheels and the software Acceleration Boost, which will provide 318mi of range (vs. 303mi with the Model Y Performance) and 0-60mph @ 4.2sec. Is 15mi increased range worth trading 1” smaller wheels and a 0.7sec slower 0-60mph time?
It seems MYLR's are taking months and months to get delivered - that is my reasoning. MYP seems to have updated suspension now too ? 15 miles of range isn't worth giving up the other items the MYP offers is it?

Tesla prioritizes building MYP's - there's higher profit margin on them so they go down the assembly line first.

Most of the range difference between MYP and MRLR is from the bigger wheel and tire package, which could be adjusted in the aftermarket.

Another way to go is get a MYLR and add the acceleration boost option for $2k once you take delivery - gives you about 2/3rds of a MYP speed (minus the bigger wheels, brakes, suspension, trunk spoiler)