Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

First time buyer

Hello,

I've been looking at replacing my old ICE car with an electric car in the (near) future. Looking for some advice/recommendations.

Right now, I drive a Honda CRV 2005 (AWD). It works, but it's wearing out a bit.

Based on the requirements below, there are a few options out there. Seems like any of the Tesla models with AWD could work. I've seen announcements for other cars...but no actual models with AWD. VW ID.4 sometime this summer is supposed to have it...not a lot of options I can find with AWD.

Any thoughts on Used vs. New? Tesla has had electric cars out the longest for battery wear, usage/driving style/weather can have an affect on this so I'm looking at a rough estimate. Any year models to avoid due to significant "known" issues, or "essential upgrades"? Nothing is perfect, and new features always come out, just trying to avoid anything where you kick yourself for getting one from the batch that had the battery degrade faster than others, or has better insulation against road noise due to design change (example, can still live with "more" road noise though).

-Anything would be a step up from my current car (it has a cassette player built in it :rolleyes:),

I know I would probably lean crossover for its utilitarian function from grocery shopping/moving large items, but could go sedan/mini SUV in my garage.

-Cybertruck is out of the running based on current length of the vehicle dimensions, as it won't fit in my garage, but I could get the other models to squeeze in.

Not interested in hybrids, I hate going to the gas station. After a long drive, I want to roll into the garage and plug in, not get in line and wait and then have to drive home.

Requirements:
1. Highest possible safety rating.
2. AWD (I live in the PNW and with ice/snow, it's important to me to have this + chains :)).
3. Lower the price the better, would cap out at ~$50K.
4. Range ~150 miles (this would be the minimum after also taking into account battery degradation over time from say a 200+ mile battery to start with).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
Hello,

I've been looking at replacing my old ICE car with an electric car in the (near) future. Looking for some advice/recommendations.

Right now, I drive a Honda CRV 2005 (AWD). It works, but it's wearing out a bit.

Based on the requirements below, there are a few options out there. Seems like any of the Tesla models with AWD could work. I've seen announcements for other cars...but no actual models with AWD. VW ID.4 sometime this summer is supposed to have it...not a lot of options I can find with AWD.

Any thoughts on Used vs. New? Tesla has had electric cars out the longest for battery wear, usage/driving style/weather can have an affect on this so I'm looking at a rough estimate. Any year models to avoid due to significant "known" issues, or "essential upgrades"? Nothing is perfect, and new features always come out, just trying to avoid anything where you kick yourself for getting one from the batch that had the battery degrade faster than others, or has better insulation against road noise due to design change (example, can still live with "more" road noise though).

-Anything would be a step up from my current car (it has a cassette player built in it :rolleyes:),

I know I would probably lean crossover for its utilitarian function from grocery shopping/moving large items, but could go sedan/mini SUV in my garage.

-Cybertruck is out of the running based on current length of the vehicle dimensions, as it won't fit in my garage, but I could get the other models to squeeze in.

Not interested in hybrids, I hate going to the gas station. After a long drive, I want to roll into the garage and plug in, not get in line and wait and then have to drive home.

Requirements:
2. AWD (I live in the PNW and with ice/snow, it's important to me to have this + chains :)).
4. Range ~150 miles (this would be the minimum after also taking into account battery degradation over time from say a 200+ mile battery to start with).

1) Model Y LR AWD. Pros.: fits all your requirements; Cons: barely fits the price (may get better if $7000 tax credit is enacted this year)
2) VW ID.4: Pros: The purchase price is close to, say, CR-V; based on the ID.3 that means the first-production-year bugs are mainly fixed; Cons: unclear when the AWD version will be really available and if it still going to have a good range.
3) Mach-E: Pros: if for some reason you like Ford.... Cons: the car is new with many unfixed issues, the range/efficiency is mediocre, safety rating is still unavailable; purchase price higher than Tesla.
4) Audi E-Tron: Pros: a roomy and nice inside; a good safety rating; Cons: probably, way over your budget; low range.

On range and battery degradation: Degradation is real, and you should expect anywhere from 5% to 15% battery capacity loss in the first 5 years; usually, if it degrades much faster then it will be replaced under warranty (8-10 years, when hitting 30% degradation for M3/Y). Degradation from over 200 miles to 150 miles means over 25% capacity loss, and it most likely means some serious battery problem with replacement under warranty imminent. So, it is something to keep on mind but not to really worry about. Having extra range is more important, especially when it's cold outside as your effective range can get reduced by 40-50% easily at near 0F temperatures. If you want to have 150 miles range guaranteed no matter what weather is now and how you drive then I advise to look at 300-mile EVs.

I think a major argument against purchasing a used EV is not its battery degradation but (1) high price of used Tesla vehicles (could be less for cars like Chevy Bolt) and (2) rapid advances in technologies, so in 1-2 years you can get a much better car for the same money. If you can afford it, get a new Tesla, if not, then look for a used E-Tron maybe.

ReddyLeaf

Vision without execution is hallucination
Mar 19, 2014
WA State
Hello,

Requirements:

The AWD Y is probably your best choice, but any dual motor Tesla is very good in the snow. My 2015 S70D is awesome in the snow, even with all weather radials. With winter tires, I’ve seen videos of them driving right up stuff that other AWD vehicles couldn’t. Unfortunately, the limit with any Tesla will be the lower clearance, just pushing snow above 6-8”. As for range, I started with 235mi and it’s down to about 230mi at 5.5yr and 60,000 mi. I’ve driven to LA, SF, UT, ID, AZ, TX, WI, MN, all over WA/OR and into BC/AB and never had a problem. I might consider selling for $35K because I’m interested in getting the new Plaid S.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
upload_2021-2-15_0-27-13.png

upload_2021-2-15_0-28-54.jpeg

Model S is a rather large liftback sedan with lots of room for groceries and such. I think quite comparable to compact ICE SUV/CUV.

The 2016 90D trim is all wheel drive and originally had 294 miles of range.

Range tends to degrade early and then stabilize quite a bit.

The new refresh Model S should bring in lots of of used Model S for trade-ins and lower the price of used Model S quite a bit over the next 6 months.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC