Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time charging 100D full after 12k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember the range is based on the EPA highway drive cycle with the car hooked up to a dynomometer in a indoor location. Therefore no wind drag and no speeds exceeding 60 mph.

This is the same for all cars so it is a fair comparison. But the connection to real world driving is a stretch

What's your normal daily charge percentage? While 3.7% is well within tolerance for actual degradation, there's a good chance this has more to do with BMS calibration than actual degradation.

My 2016 P100D with 28k charges to 287mi at 100%. (vs. 289mi rated)

Remember the range is based on the EPA highway drive cycle with the car hooked up to a dynomometer in a indoor location. Therefore no wind drag and no speeds exceeding 60 mph.

This is the same for all cars so it is a fair comparison. But the connection to real world driving is a stretch
I don't believe he's talking about real world range, but rather rated range when charged. Rated range isn't affected by wind or weather.

True but irrelevant to the discussion of rated range at 100% charge as displayed on the battery meter.

May take more than 1 100% charge for the car to really calibrate its range.

My 2012 Model S P85 dropped to 225 after a couple of years, but I was not charging it above the magic 93% ever. I went on a program of charging to about 95% for awhile and my range crept back up to 251. For comparison purpose it did start at 265. Now 4 years later, it is still charging in the 250 mile range. That first year is where you will probably see the biggest drop, after that it seems pretty stable.

Hi all,

12k in my X100D and charged last night set limit to 100% and only got to 285 miles.

I was a bit disappointed. Should I get her serviced?
and your 100% charge when new was?...

There is some variability in batteries from the factory so it's possible you got a smaller one from the get go? Either way Tesla does not warranty against battery degradation on S/X cars no matter how slow or fast it is, so unless you can show you have a shorted battery module or some such - there's no point in visiting the service center.

295**. More likely the OP needs a few deep discharges and full charges for it to recalibrate. My 100% used to be 293 at new now it’s 295.

Just bear in mind that doing this is not actually very good for the battery itself, it only affects the arbitrary number shown on the dash. So I wouldn't personally bother and in fact don't even bother displaying rated range, having reverted to percentage charge in the setup menu. The nav and energy tabs take care of "real life" range and are way more accurate than rated range, which is often grossly optimistic given my driving style!

• Love
Reactions: FlyinLow
The displayed "rated range" is not an exact number. A Tesla battery pack contains thousands of small batteries. It's not possible to measure the actual energy stored in every one of those batteries. So the range or battery charge % being displayed is only an estimate, that likely isn't accurate to 3 digits.

Just bear in mind that doing this is not actually very good for the battery itself, it only affects the arbitrary number shown on the dash. So I wouldn't personally bother and in fact don't even bother displaying rated range, having reverted to percentage charge in the setup menu. The nav and energy tabs take care of "real life" range and are way more accurate than rated range, which is often grossly optimistic given my driving style!

I dont know if its a Model 3 thing, but the Like Tesla family was charging their Model 3 to 60 or 70% i forget for months, and eventually their 100% range was only 263 miles. The low max charging confused the car's computer into thinking the max range was lower. So even though the battery may be fine, if the car thinks there is less power than it is, then you'll get instances of cars shutting off prematurely.

I used to charge to 80% all the time but now im doing 90%. The difference in battery degradation over time between 80-90% charging is so minimal its not worth having to worry about it for me.

I used to charge to 80% all the time but now im doing 90%. The difference in battery degradation over time between 80-90% charging is so minimal its not worth having to worry about it for me.
I know this is a bit of apples to oranges, but when I was charging my car to 80% (as the standard limit) I had worse degradation when when I charged my car to 90%. Those are two different cars mind you, made 7-8 months apart and I don't know what charging policy was like in the first 4 months.

My 75D has lately been giving me just 95-100 miles at almost 100% charge! I stick to the driving tips that Tesla suggests to get a good range. So I know there is a problem, just not sure if it is battery or something else.