Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time CPO experience- 2017 Model S P100D- need some advice :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personal experience here, bought a 2017 P100D from Tesla just last year.

If it is 40 miles away I would try and check it out. Mine shipped from Cali to here in Texas and although I already had the deposit down I went and 'visited' my car three times once it was delivered and before it was ready to be picked up, and mine was @120 miles away.... I know, I have a problem.. 😆 There is a good chance the car is sitting outside depending on the facility, and here in Austin it was right in the parking lot. I checked the VIN and was able to do a once/twice/thrice over haha!

As far as experience... Delivery took longer than I thought but that shouldn't be an issue for you. Mine came with FSD so the wait became even longer as they upgraded it to HW3. The car was in really good condition for almost 50k miles and had just one tiny door ding that even to this days mostly stays hidden unless you are just at the right (wrong?) angle.

I would say the biggest worry would be about warranty. I have had my taillights, headlights and trunk cinch actuator replaced in less than a year. Warranty covered everything and to be fair the lights were cosmetic- moisture in the taillight lens and DRL going out on the headlights. But I sure am glad I caught the 4 year 50k mile deal still.

Best of luck to ya!
Many thanks...i can see by your profile pic we may be twins. Thanks for sharing. I just got my appt for this Sunday...boy am i excited.

Reactions: byeLT4
  • Do you think that 60k miles is too much for a 4 year old car?
  • Has anyone gotten a CPO and on delivery day the scratches and dings were horrible and they had to walk away?
  • Is the Black Premium Interior something unique?
  • Does the Infotainment upgrade make a diff? If I have this does this mean I have FSD?
  • It shows Auto Pilot, is this much different with FSD?
  • Would you buy the extended warranty? (CPO comes with 1 year warranty)
  • Pay Per Use Super charging- I’ve saw online some people were upgraded to free supercharging as a perk , is this possible?

1. Not for an EV.

2. I am sure some have but not common. I believe Tesla will repair any scratches or dings that are more than 1" based on what they have on their car listings.

3. Not really. If it's an early 2017 it may have ventilated seats.

4. Yes big difference / No not FSD but you will get the required hardware so you can upgrade to FSD at a later time.

5. Base autopilot includes autosteer and traffic aware cruise control. It does not automatically change lanes, have summon, automatic parking, or nav on autopilot.

6. Depends - if offered I probably would.

7. Only if Tesla offers it. They have not been doing it for a while.

Reactions: Matty Bumpo
I’ve bought two CPO/used Tesla’s in the last 5.5 years in the Toronto area. I won’t talk about the first one in 2015 much as that was when they delivered it like a new car. They even replaced the nosecone and a bunch of other things and spent an hour with me. Days gone by....
Last July I bought a similar car to you - a 2017 P100D. Low mileage (35k kms). I’m totally paranoid of cars being previously owned by smokers - that’s not something you can ever get out of an interior. The sales guy working with me was pretty supportive and had someone check out the car for him and went into the car to ensure it wasn’t stinky - it wasn’t.
One thing he said is that at least here they try to take really clear pictures of any blemishes so there aren’t any surprises. In my case, the door kick plates had a lot of scratches from what looked liked high-heels. No other scratches to note. Fine by me.
On delivery they tried to get me to sign everything before going through the car - that wasn’t happening. I took the keys and paperwork with me and checked everything out. It’s a white interior so I was even more careful looking through things. Car all around looked good and no inside funk. Signed and left, peeling out Ludicriously. :)
However, a couple of things I noticed soon after. The screen had the yellow banding (it was delivered in the sun so I didn’t notice right away), and the rear door handle stuck sometimes. Also, even though it has FSD, the 3.0 computer wasn’t installed. So it was in service within 10 days and they fixed it all. The service managed - who I know well from 5 years of owning a signature car :( - asked me if I curbed the car recently. I didn’t of course - but obviously whoever had it before did and really ripped some of the undercarriage pieces. It was cosmetic, so I left it as no one but service sees under there anyway. It something to look out for.
A couple of thoughts to your questions - free supercharging is totally overrated unless you’re always on the road. Check the VIN for free premium connectivity - mine has that, which will be good when I upgrade to MCU2 next week. I’m so tired of the black screens and sluggish response that I’m just going to do the upgrade, so plan on that like others have said. Lastly - it’s a car not a museum piece - when you use launch mode and laugh like a hyena you won’t car about the 1/2 inch scratch in the trunk as you destroy pretty much anything on the road. Enjoy the car!

Thank you so much. This is real. They are offering 1 year or 10k. Im on the fence about getting the Extended warranty. But i will definitely be doing my own inspection.
XCare can help with an extended warranty, if you'd like some info hit me up with year/model/miles and how much you drive per year, and I'll get you some info to explore. [email protected] www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care and scroll down to calculator for sample rates.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Thank you so much for your input and time to write this. It is helping me learn everyday. I am a little curious on how you can buy supercharging from private party. IN regards to scratches..hoping they arent too bad, and if they are Ill try and get them buffed out.
Sorry, should have clarified. You can't "buy" the lifetime free supercharging, but I believe it transfers with the car if bought private party. However, Tesla strips the free supercharging if it is sold through them.

I bought a used 2015 Model S from Tesla 2 years ago. I had to put $1000 down. Here is my experience...

(1) I picked out a car (they had low-res photos back then) and placed $1000 deposit. I asked to see the car, they said no. I can only see it on delivery. It took them much longer to get the car to the SC (something about missing the transport truck). When they finally tried to transport it, they couldn't start the car. Needed a new MCU and they will replace it. OK, don't mind a new MCU. Once they got it to SC, they realized it had been in a previous accident and said they couldn't sell it to me. At that time, they only sold used cars with clean history.

(2) I picked out a second car within a day. Same low-res photos and I waited for transport to the SC. While waiting, I examined the photos more carefully. The shot with the drivers side door open showed the tan driver's seat. There appeared to be a dark smudge or shadow on the seat. I asked them to send me better photos of the drivers seat prior to delivery. I never received them (they claim they sent it to me, maybe to my landline). When I went to pick up the car (I examined the car before signing any papers), the drivers seat looked like someone got decking stain all over himself and sat on the seat. I had warned the rep I may be calling him if there was a problem with the seat. The rest of the car was fine. I sent pictures to the rep, he consulted someone at HQ. They determined the only way to repair the seat was to replace it. It would cost $2500, but they were not willing to do it. So I refused the car.

(3) But I imeediately had a backup car ready. On this third car, the SC sent me all the detailed pictures I asked for. In the low-res photo, there appeared to be a long scratch on one of the panels. The SC picture showed no scratch (may have been buffed out). I accepted the car with no problems.

When I was buying the used Model S, I was lucky that there was a large inventory and prices of many of them were dropping. The price of the cars dropped the longer they stayed in inventory. My deposit carried over to another car when I rejected delivery.

I purchased a used 2015 85D in April of 2019 that had 16k miles on it. The photos I received were of reasonably good quality and did not show any significant damage. When I arrived at the service center, the car was parked right outside. I was able to walk around it and visually inspect even before going in to sign the papers but that was probably just luck more than anything else. The car looked like it just came off the showroom floor inside and out. Once I signed, I was on my way. The actual 'delivery' process took about 30 minutes.

Removing the ability to see/get photos of the cars now is really not a good thing.

I forgot to mention that Tesla paid for a car rental after the debacle with the first car since I had sold my car anticipating the purchase. They also gave me a free annual maintenance credit after the second debacle that I never used since they eliminated annual maintenance soon afterwards.

I bought a used 2015 Model S from Tesla 2 years ago. I had to put $1000 down. Here is my experience...

(1) I picked out a car (they had low-res photos back then) and placed $1000 deposit. I asked to see the car, they said no. I can only see it on delivery. It took them much longer to get the car to the SC (something about missing the transport truck). When they finally tried to transport it, they couldn't start the car. Needed a new MCU and they will replace it. OK, don't mind a new MCU. Once they got it to SC, they realized it had been in a previous accident and said they couldn't sell it to me. At that time, they only sold used cars with clean history.

(2) I picked out a second car within a day. Same low-res photos and I waited for transport to the SC. While waiting, I examined the photos more carefully. The shot with the drivers side door open showed the tan driver's seat. There appeared to be a dark smudge or shadow on the seat. I asked them to send me better photos of the drivers seat prior to delivery. I never received them (they claim they sent it to me, maybe to my landline). When I went to pick up the car (I examined the car before signing any papers), the drivers seat looked like someone got decking stain all over himself and sat on the seat. I had warned the rep I may be calling him if there was a problem with the seat. The rest of the car was fine. I sent pictures to the rep, he consulted someone at HQ. They determined the only way to repair the seat was to replace it. It would cost $2500, but they were not willing to do it. So I refused the car.

(3) But I imeediately had a backup car ready. On this third car, the SC sent me all the detailed pictures I asked for. In the low-res photo, there appeared to be a long scratch on one of the panels. The SC picture showed no scratch (may have been buffed out). I accepted the car with no problems.

When I was buying the used Model S, I was lucky that there was a large inventory and prices of many of them were dropping. The price of the cars dropped the longer they stayed in inventory. My deposit carried over to another car when I rejected delivery.
sounds like third time is the charm...appreciate your feedback.

I’ve bought two CPO/used Tesla’s in the last 5.5 years in the Toronto area. I won’t talk about the first one in 2015 much as that was when they delivered it like a new car. They even replaced the nosecone and a bunch of other things and spent an hour with me. Days gone by....
Last July I bought a similar car to you - a 2017 P100D. Low mileage (35k kms). I’m totally paranoid of cars being previously owned by smokers - that’s not something you can ever get out of an interior. The sales guy working with me was pretty supportive and had someone check out the car for him and went into the car to ensure it wasn’t stinky - it wasn’t.
One thing he said is that at least here they try to take really clear pictures of any blemishes so there aren’t any surprises. In my case, the door kick plates had a lot of scratches from what looked liked high-heels. No other scratches to note. Fine by me.
On delivery they tried to get me to sign everything before going through the car - that wasn’t happening. I took the keys and paperwork with me and checked everything out. It’s a white interior so I was even more careful looking through things. Car all around looked good and no inside funk. Signed and left, peeling out Ludicriously. :)
However, a couple of things I noticed soon after. The screen had the yellow banding (it was delivered in the sun so I didn’t notice right away), and the rear door handle stuck sometimes. Also, even though it has FSD, the 3.0 computer wasn’t installed. So it was in service within 10 days and they fixed it all. The service managed - who I know well from 5 years of owning a signature car :( - asked me if I curbed the car recently. I didn’t of course - but obviously whoever had it before did and really ripped some of the undercarriage pieces. It was cosmetic, so I left it as no one but service sees under there anyway. It something to look out for.
A couple of thoughts to your questions - free supercharging is totally overrated unless you’re always on the road. Check the VIN for free premium connectivity - mine has that, which will be good when I upgrade to MCU2 next week. I’m so tired of the black screens and sluggish response that I’m just going to do the upgrade, so plan on that like others have said. Lastly - it’s a car not a museum piece - when you use launch mode and laugh like a hyena you won’t car about the 1/2 inch scratch in the trunk as you destroy pretty much anything on the road. Enjoy the car!
Thank you for your input, I will make sure to inspect thoroughly before i sign anything, and notate any blemishes or items not of standard. I will def check the vin about free connectivity.

Thank you all for your input. I got the email that my delivery will be tomorrow at 4:30pm. I'm a bit excited for delivery as my previous Model S was a private sale. I've learned a lot from this forum and from youtube. I have compiled a list of to do's and questions to clear up. Here they are:

• check all windows and doors that they work with keys
  • Check sun roof
  • Check trunk and Frunk / check for water
  • Check all door handles and that they open
  • Check screen for pixels or bubbles
  • Check tires
  • Check air suspension all levels, turn it on and watch the car go up and down
  • Look under car for battery pack issues, scratches or leaks
  • Check out under floor mats for flooding and dampness
  • Software v10 or higher
  • Match the badge with Tesla software
  • Autopilot v 2.0? 2.5?
  • 100% charge / what is range ?
  • Can they offer free Supercharging ?
  • Does the infotainment upgrade come with FSD ?
  • Check the Vin for free premium connectivity ?
  • How do you get “chip 3”? FSD
  • How do i use the summon command ?
  • Double check it has infotainment upgrade
  • How do i get High Amperage 72 amp charge update ?
  • HOV stickers
Looking forward to bringing something special home tomorrow. Wish me luck ;)

Hello all,
Wanted to thank you All for your help. Ill be posting with more pictures and a post soon. Overall it was a surreal experience to do touchless delivery. The car was in almost excellent condition.

t10.jpg

on a somewhat related not...most effective solution for interior smells (like smoke) includes proper use of an Ozone machine. (After deep cleaning of materials, of course)
Hey, actually that is something that is quite important. The car was pretty much flawless except for some dog hairs that were still there and a slightly pungent smell of dog. Even found hairs in the charging cables and case. They did a pretty good job cleaning it, but i will need to get that smell out....i've got dog allergies so Im sensitive to that.

Hey, actually that is something that is quite important. The car was pretty much flawless except for some dog hairs that were still there and a slightly pungent smell of dog. Even found hairs in the charging cables and case. They did a pretty good job cleaning it, but i will need to get that smell out....i've got dog allergies so Im sensitive to that.
Ive used a basic one like this on a different car. EFFECTIVE. But follow directions well and do NOT overdo it. This is one of those things where you go conservative at first. assess. Then redo if as needed. Leaves a slight metallic scent in the car once its done, that if you leave outside with windows all open for a few hours, that goes away. But again..these are VERY effective at killing odors

I bought a 2017 P100d from the Tesla website. I was lucky, had only 5200 miles. Your right the used car warranty is one year. When I went to pick up the car here in Calif asked to see the car also before handing over the cashiers check. They said no problem. I would not have a problem walking away if the car was not to my liking. The car was beautiful with the tan interior. I did look at the brakes and the had a few light ridges on them. Something that should not have been on a 5200 mile car. I know the guy probably launched a few times and braked hard. No problem, Tesla looked at the and replaced the rotors and gave me new pads, no charge. The upgrade to the new computer is no longer 1500 but 2000 (good ole Musk). I will be replacing mine but I also have to pay 500 to get serious xm radio which my wife has to have, ugh! Anyway I will enjoy the car. Mike B

I bought a 2017 P100d from the Tesla website. I was lucky, had only 5200 miles. Your right the used car warranty is one year. When I went to pick up the car here in Calif asked to see the car also before handing over the cashiers check. They said no problem. I would not have a problem walking away if the car was not to my liking. The car was beautiful with the tan interior. I did look at the brakes and the had a few light ridges on them. Something that should not have been on a 5200 mile car. I know the guy probably launched a few times and braked hard. No problem, Tesla looked at the and replaced the rotors and gave me new pads, no charge. The upgrade to the new computer is no longer 1500 but 2000 (good ole Musk). I will be replacing mine but I also have to pay 500 to get serious xm radio which my wife has to have, ugh! Anyway I will enjoy the car. Mike B

Congrats!