Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time doing a software update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updating to 2021.32.21. Staying in the car, surfing the web on my phone. The number of clunks, whirles and sounds the car makes when updating is well, unexpected.

Those are probably unrelated to the software update. The car makes all kinds of noises when it's on, making sure the cabin and battery are 'conditioned' and ready to go when you are. That includes running various pumps and fans to redistribute heat.

I remember the 1st time I stayed in the car while installing an update. I found the extra noises unsettling. Now it is old hat and doesn’t bother me. same with rebooting to fix problems while driving. The car keeps going and I’m not worried about not being able to control it.

Those are probably unrelated to the software update. The car makes all kinds of noises when it's on, making sure the cabin and battery are 'conditioned' and ready to go when you are. That includes running various pumps and fans to redistribute heat.
Nah I sat in my car during the update also and the clicks, bangs and sounds my car made, I’ve never heard before. They were definitely update related cause whenever the screen changed to a different part of the update the car made different noises.

Reactions: SylvainG
Updating to 2021.32.21. Staying in the car, surfing the web on my phone. The number of clunks, whirles and sounds the car makes when updating is well, unexpected.
its one of the craziest experiences ever sitting in the car while it updates. You get to hear all of these systems resetting and restarting.
Even weirder is when one of the subsystems gets a firmware update as well, that's a whole different part of the update process so you hear all sorts of new sounds :D
The machine awakes :cool:

Reactions: queenamydala
Mine is totally screwed up after 2021.32.21. Don't even have "Service" as an app function. Notice 403 Session Expired top left. (Recovering from back surgery so have't need car until now, hence "Last seen ten days ago.") Tried calling local Teslas service and left message. No return call yet. Tesla Service 888 number refers caller to app but, hey, that's my problem. Have done a soft reboot and a hard reboot. 12v Battery? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1143.PNG
    IMG_1143.PNG
    334.6 KB · Views: 63
Mine is totally screwed up after 2021.32.21. Don't even have "Service" as an app function. Notice 403 Session Expired top left. (Recovering from back surgery so have't need car until now, hence "Last seen ten days ago.") Tried calling local Teslas service and left message. No return call yet. Tesla Service 888 number refers caller to app but, hey, that's my problem. Have done a soft reboot and a hard reboot. 12v Battery? Any thoughts? Thanks.
I think you might have to sign out and log back into the app. If you haven’t updated the IOS app yet, do that before you log back in.

What’s the issue with the car? You only talk about app issues.

I get the session expired error when I’m using a VPN. Apparently version 4.x of the app is not compatible with NordVPN. Wasn’t an issue with the older version.

Have used a VPN ever since I got the car in 2018. Never any problems. B I N G O ! Turned off VPN and I'm back to normal. Go figure. Thanks. Did you completely quit using VPN or have you turned it back on? Here's my screen now.

Attachments

• IMG_1145.PNG
    IMG_1145.PNG
    278.5 KB · Views: 53
What’s the issue with the car? You only talk about app issues.

I get the session expired error when I’m using a VPN. Apparently version 4.x of the app is not compatible with NordVPN. Wasn’t an issue with the older version.
Very helpful. BINGO. Turning VPN off brought back most of my connectivity. iPhone & car won't sync on bluetooth, but I'm making progress...I guess.

Interesting. I've never sat in nor listened to the car during an update. We generally do it late in the evening, with the car tucked away in the garage, and start the update via the app. Yesterday we got the 32.21 update prompt and kind of forgot about it, but the car applied it automatically at 1:15 AM (I guess because we didn't bother rescheduling it). But perhaps I will give it a listen at some point in the future.

Have used a VPN ever since I got the car in 2018. Never any problems. B I N G O ! Turned off VPN and I'm back to normal. Go figure. Thanks. Did you completely quit using VPN or have you turned it back on? Here's my screen now.
I only use the VPN when traveling. On my phone, if I’m using WiFi via VPN, the app will sometimes work and sometimes not; maybe it falls back to using cellular. On my non-cellular iPad, the app doesn’t work with WiFi via VPN almost always, but oddly it has worked in a few cases.

For your Bluetooth sync issue, make sure the Tesla app has permission to use Bluetooth. If so, delete the phone from your car’s Bluetooth settings, delete the car from your phone’s Bluetooth settings, then re-pair the phone with the car.

I only use the VPN when traveling. On my phone, if I’m using WiFi via VPN, the app will sometimes work and sometimes not; maybe it falls back to using cellular. On my non-cellular iPad, the app doesn’t work with WiFi via VPN almost always, but oddly it has worked in a few cases.

For your Bluetooth sync issue, make sure the Tesla app has permission to use Bluetooth. If so, delete the phone from your car’s Bluetooth settings, delete the car from your phone’s Bluetooth settings, then re-pair the phone with the car.
Thanks. I've had my iPhone connected to the M3 for three years via bluetooth using VPN. Not a problem until now. Have a Service appt October 4 to sort all of this out. Stay tuned.