Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time doing long trip and need help with supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have question

We never used supercharger before and im trying to understand how much time we will spend at SC station.

I dont think our kids will be patient enough to wait long time while charging.

So question is -

1. If we come to SC with 20% (Chargers are up to 250kW) how long it will take to charge up to 80%?

2. Or, if chargers are up to 75kW how much slower it will be?

3. And one more thing, do we pay by minute or by kWh ?

thank you

To get an idea of where you will need to stop (to use a Supercharger) and for how long use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) on your phone and also available on the internet via a web browser on your computer. ABRP will break down the charging stops, duration and estimate cost. In most cases when Supercharging you pay by the kWh; sometimes there are off-peak rates when charging.

Unless you are stopping for a meal you will want to avoid the Urban Superchargers (72kW charging rate) and use the V2 (150kW max) or V3 Superchargers (250kW max). In actual use the time saved when using a V3 versus a V2 Supercharger typically works out to ~10 minutes when charging from 20% to 80%. The maximum V3 charging rate (close to 250kW) will only be for ~5 minutes before starting to taper down.

With V2 Superchargers pay attention to the number and letter code pairs at the base of the Supercharger. With V2 Superchargers two charging stations share a single power transformer. If another tesla vehicle is charging at 2A then be sure you don't plug your Tesla into 2B. Use a different number charging station. This is not an issue when using a V3 Supercharger as each charging station has a dedicated power transformer.

Last edited:
To get an idea of where you will need to stop (to use a Supercharger) and for how long use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) on your phone and also available on the internet via a web browser on your computer. ABRP will break down the charging stops, duration and estimate cost. In most cases when Supercharging you pay by the kWh; sometimes there are off-peak rates when charging.

Unless you are stopping for a meal you will want to avoid the Urban Superchargers (72kW charging rate) and use the V2 (150kW max) or V3 Superchargers (250kW max). In actual use the time saved when using a V3 versus a V2 Supercharger typically works out to ~10 minutes when charging from 20% to 80%. The maximum V3 charging rate (close to 250kW) will only be for ~5 minutes before starting to taper down.

With V2 Superchargers pay attention to the number and letter code pairs at the base of the Supercharger. With V2 Superchargers two charging stations share a single power transformer. If another tesla vehicle is charging at 2A then be sure you don't plug your Tesla into 2B. Use a different number charging station. This is not an issue when using a V3 Supercharger as each charging station has a dedicated power transformer.

We are probably going to use Santa Monica, CA - Santa Monica Place Supercharger (72kWh) .
What i dont understand is what will happen if car is charged 100% and we are still outside at restaurant or somewhere else.
Are we going to be charged extra for it?
If car is up to 90% can i slow charge using Tesla app so car will be still charging but at slower rate? Is it even possible?

We are probably going to use Santa Monica, CA - Santa Monica Place Supercharger (72kWh) .
What i dont understand is what will happen if car is charged 100% and we are still outside at restaurant or somewhere else.
Are we going to be charged extra for it?
If car is up to 90% can i slow charge using Tesla app so car will be still charging but at slower rate? Is it even possible?

Supercharger speed is not modifiable by the owner. It goes as fast as it can according to the condition of the battery.

The charge speed is not the same throughout the charging session. It slows down quite a lot past 70%. Charging to 100% from 20% could take over 45 minutes.

If the vehicle reaches its charge limit and stops charging you MIGHT be at risk of having to pay "idle fees".

"When charging at a Tesla supercharger, you are subject to idle fees. Idle fees are designed to encourage drivers to move their vehicle from the Supercharger when charging is complete. Idle fees are in effect only when half or more of the Superchargers at a site are occupied. The Tesla mobile app notifies you when charging is almost complete, and again when charging is complete. Additional notifications are sent if idle fees are incurred. Idle fees are waived if you move your vehicle within five minutes of when charging completed."

I've never left my car sitting idle while connected to a Supercharger, so I can't comment on being charged for idle fees. But it looks like you'll get notified that idle fees are happening, and you can move your vehicle. However, it doesn't seem to indicate that you could have the fees waived if the idle fees occur after the 5 minute grace period, even if it's within five minutes of the idle fee.

If you arrive at a Supercharger with very low battery and set it to charge to 100% you should have plenty of time to have a family meal, bathroom visits, and get back to the vehicle. If you're charging at a 72kw charger it's going to be a VERY long time - possibly an hour or more.

Supercharger speed is not modifiable by the owner. It goes as fast as it can according to the condition of the battery.

The charge speed is not the same throughout the charging session. It slows down quite a lot past 70%. Charging to 100% from 20% could take over 45 minutes.

If the vehicle reaches its charge limit and stops charging you MIGHT be at risk of having to pay "idle fees".

"When charging at a Tesla supercharger, you are subject to idle fees. Idle fees are designed to encourage drivers to move their vehicle from the Supercharger when charging is complete. Idle fees are in effect only when half or more of the Superchargers at a site are occupied. The Tesla mobile app notifies you when charging is almost complete, and again when charging is complete. Additional notifications are sent if idle fees are incurred. Idle fees are waived if you move your vehicle within five minutes of when charging completed."

I've never left my car sitting idle while connected to a Supercharger, so I can't comment on being charged for idle fees. But it looks like you'll get notified that idle fees are happening, and you can move your vehicle. However, it doesn't seem to indicate that you could have the fees waived if the idle fees occur after the 5 minute grace period, even if it's within five minutes of the idle fee.

If you arrive at a Supercharger with very low battery and set it to charge to 100% you should have plenty of time to have a family meal, bathroom visits, and get back to the vehicle. If you're charging at a 72kw charger it's going to be a VERY long time - possibly an hour or more.

Thank you

When we come to Santa Monica we intend to leave our car for 2-3 hours. When i start charging my car usually it never shows accurate time when it will be completed, So if it shows 2 hours but its done in 1 and we are far from our car then im affraid we will be charged idle fees.

Thank you

When we come to Santa Monica we intend to leave our car for 2-3 hours. When i start charging my car usually it never shows accurate time when it will be completed, So if it shows 2 hours but its done in 1 and we are far from our car then im affraid we will be charged idle fees.
If you are planning to leave the for 2-3 hours, I'd try to find a parking space where there's other Level-2 chargers (ChargePoint, Electrify America, Sema, Blink, etc.). Should be relatively easy to find in LA. This way, your car gets some top up charging but won't get to 80% and get idle fee. You may still need to stop at a SuperCharger to get more charge but this will let you go further before needing to stop.

If you are planning to leave the for 2-3 hours, I'd try to find a parking space where there's other Level-2 chargers (ChargePoint, Electrify America, Sema, Blink, etc.). Should be relatively easy to find in LA. This way, your car gets some top up charging but won't get to 80% and get idle fee. You may still need to stop at a SuperCharger to get more charge but this will let you go further before needing to stop.

I think I'd go to a Supercharger first and get the initial big charge up to maybe 60 or 70 %, which should only take 15 minutes. Then move to an L2 charger to let it sit for hours.

But the L2 is a good idea.

Thank you

Never leave your car at a supercharger and walk away for 2 hours! Extremely bad form. As someone stated, start at a supercharger and move it to lvl 2 to sit.

Reactions: vegasko
I have question

We never used supercharger before and im trying to understand how much time we will spend at SC station.

I dont think our kids will be patient enough to wait long time while charging.

So question is -

1. If we come to SC with 20% (Chargers are up to 250kW) how long it will take to charge up to 80%?

2. Or, if chargers are up to 75kW how much slower it will be?

3. And one more thing, do we pay by minute or by kWh ?

thank you

Reactions: vegasko