Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time Drag Racing Tesla P85D Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is likely an paragraph in the policy that excludes coverage for injury/damage that occurs while drag racing, so it is not quite as cut and dried as presented. Certainly, if you are just there to watch, your insurance isn't voided just by driving onto the property. And depending on what the policy actually says, it may even arguably cover you if there is an accident unrelated to the racing itself, i.e., in the parking lot or something. Then, once you leave, your insurance should cover you again. The entire policy isn't voided just because you went to a drag strip once.

Appreciate the assist, Bouurns, but the question was directed to the former State Farm agent.

Great results for your first time ever on a drag strip.

Am I understanding correctly that you ran 11.57 with a passenger in the vehicle with you?

Thank you very much! Considering how nervous I was, it was decent. I really feel like I can do better. I want to try higher SOC and slip start. Better tires would probably make a difference too. These tires are no slouch but they are at least 1/2 ways through their life. They are Pirelli P-Zeroes - 245/40/20 in front, 285/35/20 in rear. I was already staggered, but I went even more wide in rear. Also the rims are monoblock forged HREs and they are about 7 lbs lighter per corner. On the flip side, I have the heavy pano roof.

For my 11.57 run I did not have a passenger.

I don't believe changing tires will help. I had no wheel spin on my stock 19 inch tires. My times on stock 19 inch tires were [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]. Each run was a bit slower but I think I staged deeper on the last run which cost me time. I think staging shallow to take advantage of the 1 foot roll out is the most important in getting a low ET. I did not use launch control on any of my runs, I just stomped on the throttle. I do not have pano roof but I'm a big guy at 220#. I started with a charge at about 95%. There was another P85DL that I ran against and he ran [email protected] to [email protected]. He started with a lower charge which probably made the difference.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr