Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time Drag Racing Tesla P85D Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

benjiejr

Technogeekextraordinaire
Nov 20, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Never drag raced before. Took my recently updated P85D to the local drag strip to test out Ludicrous Mode. Had fun, met lots of cool people, and learned a lot! There are probably several things I can do to help improve performance.

I attached two slips. This first pass was 11.666 at 96% state of charge (SOC). My best pass was 11.5762 at 91% SOC using Launch Mode. Launch Mode did help performance. I'm pretty sure I can shave a few tenths if I ran at 100% SOC.

This track is excited about Tesla and electric cars. They applied for the Tesla Destination Charging program and was recently approved for 3 Wall Connectors!

Attachments

• IMG_3854.JPG
    IMG_3854.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3858-1.JPG
    IMG_3858-1.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 74
I don't mean to be a wet blanket on your party but once you enter a racing facility your auto insurance, including liability is void (also true for road rally, etc).
If you have the coin to play, put it in the slot. I was a State Farm agent in another life.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket on your party but once you enter a racing facility your auto insurance, including liability is void (also true for road rally, etc).
If you have the coin to play, put it in the slot. I was a State Farm agent in another life.

That's good information to know. Does the policy automatically reinstate upon leaving a racing facility, or is it permanently voided?

Plastidip? AWESOME color! Like a pearl matte blue. Blacked out everything else....super nice. Oh and nice times too.

Did you test out "slip start?" I hear that really helps, but you may not slip at all on a sticky surface like that track.

Sounds like the insurance companies only cover you if you race on public roads.:eek:

Reactions: ZAKEEUS
This first pass was 11.666 at 96% state of charge (SOC). My best pass was 11.5762 at 91% SOC using Launch Mode. Launch Mode did help performance. I'm pretty sure I can shave a few tenths if I ran at 100% SOC.

iirc (from one of wk's threads) the internal resistance of the pack is optimal at around 90% , so charging to a full 100% would not make any sense performance wise.
Probably best to start the first run at 95% or so and allow to heat things up a bit so the best run will be at or slightly above 90% SOC.

Plastidip? AWESOME color! Like a pearl matte blue. Blacked out everything else....super nice. Oh and nice times too.

Did you test out "slip start?" I hear that really helps, but you may not slip at all on a sticky surface like that track.

Thank you! It's actually a blue satin chrome wrap.

I wanted to test out slip start but did not have the chance. I've heard it helps. I did slip slightly.

iirc (from one of wk's threads) the internal resistance of the pack is optimal at around 90% , so charging to a full 100% would not make any sense performance wise.
Probably best to start the first run at 95% or so and allow to heat things up a bit so the best run will be at or slightly above 90% SOC.

My first run was at 96% and I hit 11.6 at 118 mph; my last run with launch mode was at 91% and I hit 11.5 at 116 mph. My assumption was the higher SOC was directly related to my higher mph, but I could be wrong. I would like to try with launch mode at 100% and see what I get.

Did you try max battery power and wait for it to be ready? 11.57 is not far from the same time a P85D without Ludicrous does.

Only 0.1 to 0.2 sec better than a non ludi P85D is so small that I think a P85D non ludicrous without the heavy extras like the panoramic roof and a light driver can have the same time as a fully loaded Ludicrous P85D/P90D

My first run was at 96% and I hit 11.6 at 118 mph; my last run with launch mode was at 91% and I hit 11.5 at 116 mph. My assumption was the higher SOC was directly related to my higher mph, but I could be wrong. I would like to try with launch mode at 100% and see what I get.

Which software version are you running? Was this with max battery power? Any other tweaks/hacks?

That's good information to know. Does the policy automatically reinstate upon leaving a racing facility, or is it permanently voided?

There is likely an paragraph in the policy that excludes coverage for injury/damage that occurs while drag racing, so it is not quite as cut and dried as presented. Certainly, if you are just there to watch, your insurance isn't voided just by driving onto the property. And depending on what the policy actually says, it may even arguably cover you if there is an accident unrelated to the racing itself, i.e., in the parking lot or something. Then, once you leave, your insurance should cover you again. The entire policy isn't voided just because you went to a drag strip once.

Did you try max battery power and wait for it to be ready? 11.57 is not far from the same time a P85D without Ludicrous does.

Only 0.1 to 0.2 sec better than a non ludi P85D is so small that I think a P85D non ludicrous without the heavy extras like the panoramic roof and a light driver can have the same time as a fully loaded Ludicrous P85D/P90D

Max battery on first pass was 5 min remaining. All other passes it was ready.