TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First time ever seeing Model S for sale as Carmax!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by xanatos, Apr 14, 2018.

1. xanatos

xanatos Member

For the first time ever, I actually see a Tesla for sale at Carmax!
    I've been checking on and off for past 1-2 years and have never seen it.
    Have also talked to Carmax employees a few times, last time I heard they were in the process of being certified.
    Maybe it's finally done?
    I also notice all the Tesla models show up on the search bar drop down menu (S, X, Roadster).
    So maybe it's official!
    https://www.carmax.com/car/15711206

2017 Tesla Model S 90D
    6K Miles, $87,998

tesla carmax.JPG tesla carmax 2.JPG

• Love x 2
  2. Electricfan

Electricfan Active Member

Interesting. I think those are the only ones in the US. I searched carmax at my store - Houston -and it said sorry, we adjusted your search, then it showed me those in Irvine.

• Like x 1
  3. xanatos

xanatos Member

Also got an official reply from Carmax rep:
    "Thanks for your inquiry on the Tesla S. To answer your question, we are only selling Tesla models that have the manufacture warranty remaining. We are not currently certified to do the work on the Tesla models. All work will be done at Tesla, but we will offer our extended service plan as well that goes up to 5 years and 150,000 miles."

• Informative x 4
  4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Interesting... I'm going to have to see if the previous owner is a member of the Tesla Owners Club of Orange County... The License Plate is unfamiliar...

• Like x 1
  5. croman

croman Active Member

150k miles! Wow depending on the cost, that might be an incentive to go with Carmax over Tesla CPO.

• Like x 1
  6. xanatos

xanatos Member

Another reply from rep, unfortunately for now it's Irvine only:
    "It is a specific test pilot in Irvine only. No other stores will be able to transfer any Tesla vehicles."

7. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

This might be the answer to the new crappy Tesla CPO policy. I hope this test goes well for CarMax.

• Like x 1
  8. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

5 years, 150k miles would be very tempting.

9. Electricious

Electricious Member

I really hope this goes well for CarMax as well!

This is how used Teslas should be sold... Lots of photos, CarFax/vehicle history, refurbished to look like new, and offered with a comprehensive extended warranty. At 5 years, this is better than the Tesla CPO warranty.

• Like x 2
  10. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

I have seen Teslas at Carmax for several years, mainly in California. This is not new.

• Disagree x 1
  11. Electricious

Electricious Member

There are now 4 Teslas for sale by CarMax.

Including a A P85D for $68K with only 10K miles and a Model X P90D for $89K. What's great is that these cars can be bought with the knowledge that they have been reconditioned and with a great warranty. If I find the right car, I'd actually be fine with having the car shipped to me as I know the car will be in good condition.

12. RAW84

RAW84 Member

Wow, that's quite a large depreciation hit!

13. Electricious

Electricious Member

#13 Electricious, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    That's about expected. If you look at cars.com, there are P85Ds sometimes in the late 50s and early to mid 60s. In fact Tesla has sold some CPO P85Ds around the same price.

14. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Also remember that you cannot buy an ESA for any Tesla that has been sold from any dealer for the life of the car. Until Tesla changes their policy anyway.

• Like x 1
  15. DanKC

DanKC Member

Unfortunately...
    upload_2018-4-14_18-35-42.png

• Disagree x 1
  16. DanKC

DanKC Member

Makes me wonder why these are at Carmax rather than CPO if they really came through Tesla and weren't traded in to Carmax. If Tesla was going to spend the money to recondition, they would surely list on CPO to triple their money. If Tesla decided to pass on these because they were going to take too much reconditioning, and let Carmax sell them, then they haven't been reconditioned have they? I'll admit I'm perplexed by the program/policy changes.

• Disagree x 1
  17. Az_Rael

I would happily take CarMax’s extended warranty over Tesla’s ESA. They can usually be bought for mileage past 100k, and you can get all the repairs done at Tesla.

• Like x 2
  18. Az_Rael

I think these cars were sold to CarMax directly. Tesla gives really crappy trade in offers, so if CarMax gives you a higher offer, no reason to trade it in to Tesla. (At least here in CA where there is no tax trade in benefit)

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. Daznos

Daznos New Member

interesting