TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

first time experience with supercharger

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by nghktom, Aug 16, 2015.

1. nghktom

nghktom Member

Need to go to Tsuen Wan this morning. Remembered Panda Hotel with Supercharger. Got in, spare one available, parked, plugged.

Business completed, shopping done (two hours free with HKD300 spent). Car is fully charged within 2 hours.

2. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

Remember to vacate once charging is done, usually in less than one hour if battery level is at 50%. Otherwise, other cars won't get to charge. Also, do update the Tesla supercharger availability website. IM Tesla

3. MingMan

MingMan Member

Should we not charge the car to 100% but 90% only?

4. 3fiftynine

3fiftynine Member

You'll get warning on the 17" screen if you charge to 100%, from experimenting different % I think 94% is the upper bound if you don't want to see the warning. Repeatedly charging to 100% will affect battery life. Charging rate slows down dramatically anyway when it's near the top.

5. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

Well, you can if you want, but not recommended unless you really needed that full charge, as this will waste time (you should have knowledge about the charging curve on the official Tesla website) and is bad for your battery life.

6. joywalker

joywalker Member

I don't think it is conclusive that 100% charged is damaging to the battery.
    I think many of us will likely trade-in the machine after 3 years. This battery issue should not bother us.
    For those wanting to keep the car for long time, 8 years warranty means you don't need to worry much of the battery pack.

7. 3fiftynine

3fiftynine Member

I'm sure the battery after 8 years is still good it's the degradation in capacity that matters. Say a LEAF after 4 years has about 60-70% of original capacity (someone quoted this) so you'll have to charge it more frequently. LEAF doesn't have thermo control for the battery pack which helps to preserve battery life. You will notice that cooling fan works very hard (and loud) when you supercharge. If you charge it slowly with 13A it doesn't make that kind of noise.