Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time Model 3 Purchase in BC - Some Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I are finally taking the plunge to purchasing our first Tesla - a Model 3 and we have some questions.

1. We're looking at purchasing the SR + base model. We are using it mostly for city driving in the GVRD. We may take a road trip up to Whistler and/or down to Seattle once a year. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the AWD Long range for the extra $10k?

2. I already have a Tesla account set up, but want to use a referral code from a friend. Can I still do so? We're planning to head down to a Tesla store to test drive the Model 3 later this week and if all is good we will place the deposit. Would it be possible to use the referral code at the store or does it have to be done online?

3. Other than the 1500 km of free Supercharging in BC, are there any other incentives from Tesla Canada right now?

4. Despite being a big Tesla fan (and shareholder) for many years, I have never, ever sat in a Tesla, much less driven one. Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to or ask when I'm driving and at the store?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are finally taking the plunge to purchasing our first Tesla - a Model 3 and we have some questions.

1. We're looking at purchasing the SR + base model. We are using it mostly for city driving in the GVRD. We may take a road trip up to Whistler and/or down to Seattle once a year. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the AWD Long range for the extra $10k?

2. I already have a Tesla account set up, but want to use a referral code from a friend. Can I still do so? We're planning to head down to a Tesla store to test drive the Model 3 later this week and if all is good we will place the deposit. Would it be possible to use the referral code at the store or does it have to be done online?

3. Other than the 1500 km of free Supercharging in BC, are there any other incentives from Tesla Canada right now?

4. Despite being a big Tesla fan (and shareholder) for many years, I have never, ever sat in a Tesla, much less driven one. Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to or ask when I'm driving and at the store?

Thanks.

1. That extra $10k turns into more because you would lose the federal rebate. [longer range, better acceleration, somewhat better road holding, better sound system, better internet connectivity, rear heated seats]

2. I *think* you can do it any time up to the point you do the order

3. NSM. The supercharging credit wouldn't be limited to BC

4. Spend some time with the UI before driving off. Try out the various autopilot features. Don't enjoy yourself too much!

I don't think the extra range is really that necessary, currently during the winter months, with 90% charge I am able to go 250KM or so. Unless you need to drive more than 250KM a day, then go for the LR AWD. In summer months, I'm expecting the car to travel closer to the rated range. Having a L2 charger at home is more important in owning an EV than anything else. If you are worry about winter, just get winter tires and RWD is fine. Teslas are heavy, so they provide very good traction in the snow.

the difference is more like $18k vs $10k with the incentives not available on the AWD.

The consensus on range is always get as much as you can safely afford. If it’s not a strain, I’d say go for it.

Your Sales Associate can apply a referral code prior to financing being arranged, I believe. After that it gets a bit tricky, but may still be possible.

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
If you haven't ordered yet the referral can be added at time of order for sure. But I thought there was something about referral codes not being allowed in BC. Something about not being able to 'give things away' when ordering a car? Might want to double check that, especially if both you and your friend are in BC. I could be way wrong there, maybe the referral loophole I'm remembering was that you couldn't get referral rewards (like the free radio flyer car or other freebies like tires/rims when you got multiple referrals?).

IMO the main reason to upgrade to the AWD would be if you want the extra performance and its not too much of a financial stretch for you. The range likely wont be much of an issue, its a nice to have. As others have pointed out, by losing the federal rebate you are actually looking at more like 10K + tax + 5k. I would say if you dont care much about the acceleration boost for AWD take that extra money and put it towards a second set of tires/FSD/Paint/White interior/PPF/Ceramic, etc.

Maybe another consideration is how long you plan to keep the car. Given that SR+ is outselling AWD and PAWD by at least a 3-1 ratio right now perhaps the AWD would hold its value better than an SR+ and you'll get back part or most of that premium if/when you sell?

SR+ is a great car. Feels faster than an LR RWD due to the reduced weight while using the same drive unit.

I'm sure the upgrade screen will allow for unlocking of features in the future once they iron out the regulations and such for insurance. I'd vote for the SR+ if you're not doing long road trips every weekend in the dead of winter.

I did not get 1,500km of free supercharging (just purchased on 1/31/19). Referral codes do not work in BC as the previous poster said.

I did buy the LR AWD because I live in Kelowna and regularly travel to Vancouver. If I lived in the GVRD and only occasionally did longer road trips I would buy the SR+.

The SR+ is about $17K less (after tax) than the LR due to the loss of $8K in federal and provincial incentives, as pointed out by a previous poster. So you really have to need the extra range (or the AWD or the premium sound :) to justify the significant extra expense.

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
I definitely think its worth upgrading ($10K) just for the extra mileage you get. In the winter in Ontario you lose about 40% range.

I did not get 1,500km of free supercharging (just purchased on 1/31/19). Referral codes do not work in BC as the previous poster said.

The buyer should get the 1500 KM with the referral code. It's just the owner who referred the buyer may not get a referrer award if they live in BC because of the law that says a person cannot get a car sale reward if they are not a registered car sales person.

If you didn't get your 1500 KM after buying, I would contact Tesla to complain as they should honour it.

Last edited:
The buyer should get the 1500 KM with the referral code. It's just the owner who referred the buyer may not get a referrer award if they live in BC because of the law that says a person cannot get a car sale reward if they are not a registered car sales person.

If you didn't get your 1500 KM after buying, I would contact Tesla to complain as they should honour it.

No free supercharging at all in BC any more.

More clarification from a Telsa employee: Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. I am happy to provide clarification on this matter for you. Due to local laws/regulations, residents of British Columbia are not eligible for referrer awards. Though referrers are not eligible for awards, buyers may still acquire awards. Please see the "Limits" section of our Referral Program Support page for more information

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

1. I personally think AWD is essential because I go to the mountains frequently in snow. But the price premium for AWD Model 3 at the moment is not worth it. You pay $10k more to Tesla plus an extra 5% in PST plus no $8000 rebate. The SR+ is just too good of a deal in comparison. However I ended up buying a used Model S with AWD instead.

2.If you buy from the store, give the sales advisor the referral code when you order and they'll enter it. You can also add a referral code to your order online after you have already placed an order. From the referral link, you choose "I already have a reservation".

3. No more deals from Tesla but in BC there is up to $600 rebate from BC Hydro to have a wall connector installed.

4. Enjoy the ride!

1. It would be nice to have the LR for the Seattle run, but honestly there's a lot of Supercharging in the areas you mentioned. Keep in mind for city driving in cold conditions, range goes out the window. A 400km SR+ will get far less range than on the cover, see below.
  2. If you purchase at the store, I believe they get you to enter the referral code yourself. But make sure it's in before you do the order. To add it after, they need to redo the order which could delay arrival of your car.
  3. Nothing from Tesla, but keep an eye out for local incentives. These tend to be in the form of EV charger rebates from various companies.
  4. For one, book a test drive if you haven't (required for Vancouver, it'll probably be week out). They go through setting up the car to your preferences, so don't worry about that. I recommend trying it with Standard regen instead of Low to get used to it, just keep in mind it might be jerky until you get used to it (nearly everyone needs time to get used to it). Just remember the regen is variable, not on/off. Also be aware of how easily it climbs the hill you're going up on the test drive :)

So, let's talk range. You want to stay between 10-90% if you can manage it for the health of the battery. That means only 320km. Even better would be 20-80%, but that's only 240km of rated range. I get 40% worse efficiency at 0°C in city driving with light traffic (i.e. I'm mostly going 50-60km/h or stopped at a short light with 5-10 other cars). Because heat in an EV is not a byproduct like in a gas vehicle, it must actively produce it. The slower you drive and the worse congestion is, the much worse efficiency is. Let's say that's 50% efficiency in Vancouver city driving. You're now looking at effectively 120km of range in Winter in city conditions if you want to stay between 20% and 80% to get the best possible life out of your battery. If that's still more than enough, then fantastic.

On Winter trips to Whistler or Seattle, this is probably where you'll charge to either 90% or 100%. Expect about 30% reduction compared to rated range at or just below highway speeds in Winter. If it's really cold (say, -10°C) and you're going through snow/ice and need to travel slower (say, 60km/h), you're back into 50% efficiency territory. This is still workable with the Supercharger network, but you may be stopping at every one for a fairly significant charge.

I'd always recommend an LR if it's not a financial burden. Battery lasts longer (in terms of kilometers over the life of the car) and you have more room to not worry about your current charge.

I have had my M3 SR+ since June. Previous posts have lots of good advice. 110 charging is slow 6-8 k per hour but I have found it adequate for my day to day needs- but then I live on Southern Vancouver Island. If you are coming from an SUV there are a few things to watch. Lower clearance means you cannot “over hang” a curb. As you ease up your yellow warning lines will disappear somewhere inside 70 cm as the curb becomes too low for the sensor. Remember the low clearance when going through road repair/construction zones.
It’s also easy to scuff the rims.
First time it takes about 15 minutes getting used to regen and useful to know when you have or don’t have it.
Pick up is in the covered garage in Vancouver. If doing it again I would ask to have it moved to the street to have a careful look for flaws- especially paint flaws. Look closely at bottom edge trim- mine had clips missing.
As much as you will enjoy your first day it keeps on getting better!

I have had my M3 SR+ since June. Previous posts have lots of good advice. 110 charging is slow 6-8 k per hour but I have found it adequate for my day to day needs- but then I live on Southern Vancouver Island. If you are coming from an SUV there are a few things to watch. Lower clearance means you cannot “over hang” a curb. As you ease up your yellow warning lines will disappear somewhere inside 70 cm as the curb becomes too low for the sensor. Remember the low clearance when going through road repair/construction zones.
It’s also easy to scuff the rims.
First time it takes about 15 minutes getting used to regen and useful to know when you have or don’t have it.
Pick up is in the covered garage in Vancouver. If doing it again I would ask to have it moved to the street to have a careful look for flaws- especially paint flaws. Look closely at bottom edge trim- mine had clips missing.
As much as you will enjoy your first day it keeps on getting better!

Oh yes. I forgot about the Vancouver delivery experience. Expect to be rushed through the whole thing, expect minor flaws on the car for you to find, and especially expect that you need to spend some time documenting any issues within the first 100km I think it is. They are not understanding at all of delivery defects after their very small km allowance (one of the downsides of the Tesla non-dealership model -- they effectively don't really care at this point).

Oh yes. I forgot about the Vancouver delivery experience. Expect to be rushed through the whole thing, expect minor flaws on the car for you to find, and especially expect that you need to spend some time documenting any issues within the first 100km I think it is. They are not understanding at all of delivery defects after their very small km allowance (one of the downsides of the Tesla non-dealership model -- they effectively don't really care at this point).

I've seen a number of owners have had bad delivery experiences and/or issues with cars when picking them up. Did you pick up your car at or near the end of the quarter? I think they tend to rush out deliveries at the end of the quarter meet quotas and this can certainly come with drawbacks. So I'm hoping I won't get mine delivered at the end of a quarter (like the end of March).

Is there not a period of 1 week or 1600 km when the car can be returned for a full refund if there are any issues? We are not going to take a car with defects.

For those of who are messaging me about being my referral, I do already have a friend out of province who is referring me. Sorry. :)

I've seen a number of owners have had bad delivery experiences and/or issues with cars when picking them up. Did you pick up your car at or near the end of the quarter? I think they tend to rush out deliveries at the end of the quarter meet quotas and this can certainly come with drawbacks. So I'm hoping I won't get mine delivered at the end of a quarter (like the end of March).

Is there not a period of 1 week or 1600 km when the car can be returned for a full refund if there are any issues? We are not going to take a car with defects.

For those of who are messaging me about being my referral, I do already have a friend out of province who is referring me. Sorry. :)

The Vancouver deliveries have a particularly bad reputation. In their defense, they're handling a high volume (over 100 deliveries per day when the waves come) for a small location with far away storage lots.

I got mine delivered in their first 100 delivery day (allegedly). That said, this is sort of the norm. Model 3 deliveries come in waves, so you're likely to be part of a delivery rush.

Unless something has changed, it's not 1600km. My 450km or so drive home essentially disqualified me from filing any delivery defects and they had zero remorse or follow up despite my attempts. So maybe it was 200km or something? This was also when we had the BC rebate program (not sure if this ended or not) which may have influenced things a bit.

They just deal with too many cars, so quality service degraded quickly.

Plenty of further advice can be given for delivery time if and when it comes to that. For now, focus on test driving the car to see if you'll even want to order one first :) (of course, you probably will).

@Malbrosia
I am in Vancouver too and would definitely recommend the LR AWD.
Real world range for me is about 300 km per charge taking into consideration charging the battery to 90% and driving it down to 25%, with the front defogger on 25% of the time, rain/drag, setting the fan/temp set to 18-19°C for 75% of the time. I drive 150 km/day mostly highway driving at 90-120 km/hr. If you are driving in the city a lot at 50-60 km/hr, you will probably get better range than what I wrote above.

Get everything in writing or email if you are promised any bonuses from Tesla sales rep. I was promised 2 year free supercharging and never got it. Make sure your contract lists out all the bonuses.

Get a home wall connector installed. I had battery anxiety while charging my car ever 2 days at a supercharger until I got my home connector installed and since then I barely look a my battery %. Sentry mode can drain 5% while you are at work, and another 5% parked overnight, and it all depends on how many people walk in front of your car and if you install a recording hard drive.

Expect a $3000 ICBC insurance cost even if you have the maximum driver's discount. Don't cheap out on windshield insurance. I had 3 rock chips in a month. The car is very low and my car seems to be a rock magnet.

Save up to buy winter tires as I survived this winter season with my factory all seasons, but I will be buying winter tires next season for sure (for my soon to be delivered Y too).

Buy a SSD portable hard drive as soon as you can, minimum 500 gb and have your sentry mode on. Lots of people have bad parking skills. I already had my car damaged 2 times.

Watch as many videos as you can before taking delivery. Vancouver delivery can be very basic (5 minutes). I had no training at all other than pairing my phone to car. Have your Tesla app installed on your phone before you pick up the car. Watch about 2-3 hours of Tesla videos on how to shift gears, use the 2 steering wheel stalks, how to use touch screen, how to open door in emergency where there is no power, how to put your car in tow mode, neutral, what to do if your battery dies, etc.

Stay away from the forum on the actual Tesla website. The people there are nasty and you will get more insults than help.

Good luck with your purchase. My Tesla has been the nicest car I have owned thus far and I can't wait for the Y. The 3's trunk is spacious but too low in usable height for me.