Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is $19k a fair value for this car?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, this is my first post so apologies if I mess something up. I am looking at buying my first model S but need some help. It is a 2013 Model S Signature 60 KWH (191 miles per charge). The car has 175k miles on it, has no accidents, and has a clean title. Black with black leather. Tech package, sunroof, and air suspension. Supercharger free for
Life. Owner claims to have some service receipts and the tires are good. Body looks clean, no visible dents or scratches. He is asking $19k for it. Is this too high mileage? I rented a Model S on Turo once and it had 250k miles, owner said he only replaced the tires, not even the brakes after that many miles. I asked about the battery and he said “it’s perfect”, is 191 miles a typical range with this model? How many miles could It realistically last? Annual maintenance on average? What are some things I should be aware of when buying a model S for the first time? This is my first time and I am a little lost, just want to make sure I do my due diligence on this first one. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 3D822358-29D7-4FBD-BEAB-A961A6F3BC8A.jpeg
    3D822358-29D7-4FBD-BEAB-A961A6F3BC8A.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 102
I believe the battery/power train warranty will be valid for you until the eight-year mark. The 60 kWh battery has undoubtedly lost some range. I'm sure someone here can tell you how to gauge that amount of loss. I'd ask the owner whether any door handles have been replaced. If not, they may be an issue. If the MCU1's eMMc chip hasn't been replaced, you can expect that to fail (around $1,800). Check the screen; has it yellowed? If you're not driving long distances, it could be a great buy. Best of luck if you get it.

even if that warranty is not expired yet.. a 2013 means it will very soon. I would stay away. Failing battery will cost you the same price as your car, or a little bit more. I believe someone was quotes $21,000 for the battery? about $10k for the Drive unit. Is may never fail on you, it may fail tomorrow. If it does, are you willing to gamble another $20k after spending $20k on it? The question may be yes to some people, but alot of people.. probably no.

• Helpful
Reactions: kaidou
even if that warranty is not expired yet.. a 2013 means it will very soon. I would stay away. Failing battery will cost you the same price as your car, or a little bit more. I believe someone was quotes $21,000 for the battery? about $10k for the Drive unit. Is may never fail on you, it may fail tomorrow. If it does, are you willing to gamble another $20k after spending $20k on it? The question may be yes to some people, but alot of people.. probably no.
It's a $19k Model S. Even it's part out value is higher than that by a fair amount.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I thought someone quoted the battery replacement cost at $11k, although it also came with a 4 year warranty.

Hi All, this is my first post so apologies if I mess something up. I am looking at buying my first model S but need some help. It is a 2013 Model S Signature 60 KWH (191 miles per charge). The car has 175k miles on it, has no accidents, and has a clean title. Black with black leather. Tech package, sunroof, and air suspension. Supercharger free for
Life. Owner claims to have some service receipts and the tires are good. Body looks clean, no visible dents or scratches. He is asking $19k for it. Is this too high mileage? I rented a Model S on Turo once and it had 250k miles, owner said he only replaced the tires, not even the brakes after that many miles. I asked about the battery and he said “it’s perfect”, is 191 miles a typical range with this model? How many miles could It realistically last? Annual maintenance on average? What are some things I should be aware of when buying a model S for the first time? This is my first time and I am a little lost, just want to make sure I do my due diligence on this first one. Thank you for your help.

Bring him down ten percent and pick it up. Fair warning: repairs will cost ya. But with a little luck, you will one very happy camper.

I bought an original 60 in Jan 13. First thing Signature Model S's only came in 85kwh batteriy sizes. At 175k miles you have no warranty at all so I would see all service records. Hopefully the motor, battery, touch screen and MCU have been replaced recently. Personally I would stay away from a 60 unless I had plans to upgrade it to at least an 85. Also for a little more you could get an 85. I had some great adventures with my 60 battery but range wise their were limitations and compromises.

I bought an original 60 in Jan 13. First thing Signature Model S's only came in 85kwh batteriy sizes. At 175k miles you have no warranty at all so I would see all service records. Hopefully the motor, battery, touch screen and MCU have been replaced recently. Personally I would stay away from a 60 unless I had plans to upgrade it to at least an 85. Also for a little more you could get an 85. I had some great adventures with my 60 battery but range wise their were limitations and compromises.

Or if your budget can handle it, find an 85 which comes with 8 year unlimited mileage warranty. Also ask for the inservice date (which is the day the warranty starts), the door sticker date means nothing - my March build 2014 P85+ has a full extra year, because it was a demo, before I got it, and the inservice date started the day I bought it, so March 2023 is when it expires and I am almost at 100K miles.

2013 Tesla Model S P85 | eBay
2013 Tesla Model S | eBay this one has a new battery
2013 Tesla Model S 2013 S85 NAV PANO LEATHER HEAT 77K 265 MLS RANGE | eBay
2012 Tesla Model S Signature Performance P85 $35k

Archived sales from EV-CPO
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.23.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelP90DL