Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time Owner, Autopilot and FSD feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got more for our 2015 GMC Terrain than trading in a 2008 Z51 Corvette. So we kept the corvette.

If anyone is wondering, we got our Tesla for $41,000 - Financed with Capital One at 5.38% for 60 or 72 months, average monthly will be $725.

Some would say I paid too much, others would say that's a steal. We spent a good two weeks looking, and for this particular package Tesla, it would have cost us 48+ used, 75+ new.

One thing that was really crappy was Tesla's Used Car department ignored us for a solid week and we had no way to reach them. When New Tesla Sales found out we were looking to buy Used because we didn't have 75-100k, they stopped talking to us as well. They need to overhaul their car sales departments. There could be so many more of these cars on the road.

I just say this because our family is very "average". I do not win scratch offs, everything is very vanilla in our life, we don't get struck by lightning, we don't get drunk drivers crashing into our car while we're on the road or while it's parked, and we didn't get covid until our flight back from Florida in July 2022 - which was hell btw. And we've been doing this for 30+ years...Way Too Vanilla.... That makes me a pretty good baseline for customer service measurement (and because I know how a company representative should treat a prospective customer). Tesla's customer service was a D minus; and if I didn't get a Tesla, a solid F+. Shameful! I know the Used Car Department doesn't speak for Elon's empire, but his New Car Department sure does. Maybe I should have mentioned I'm still hodling my dogecoin to let my grand children buy something on Mars one day with it.

I have yet to interact with anyone at Tesla. I understand Elon wants to automate everything, but there should be some wiggle room to reach a real person when their automation is unable to satisfy public requests -- especially when encapsulated in a high value purchase, such as the car we bought. It would be refreshing to hear from someone at Tesla say "We see all the problems in your almost brand new car, we're here to help". But that voice is nowhere to be found. The magic is fading back to the car itself; almost like as if there were no Imagineers at Disney World, and no princesses for my daughter to meet, just automated machines everywhere and thousands of confused people.

Anyways back to Used Car Sales - .... D minus.

Tesla Used Cars had 8 emails, 12 phone calls + voice mails. We never reached a single person at Tesla Used Car Sales. We bought our car from a Jeep Dealership in Austin Texas, and drove there in person to get it.

Last edited:
I'm more comforted knowing I'm not the only one with that opinion.
Maybe it's just a Texas thing, as our service in Australia is top notch. I always get a quick response via the app and the experience at the service centre has been far better than my experience with Hyundai, Mazda, Saab, Lexus, etc. We still have one ICE vehicle and I dread taking it for service.

Maybe it's just a Texas thing, as our service in Australia is top notch. I always get a quick response via the app and the experience at the service centre has been far better than my experience with Hyundai, Mazda, Saab, Lexus, etc. We still have one ICE vehicle and I dread taking it for service.
Well I'm not sure if it's a Texas thing, because I would be happy with an 800 number for anywhere in US.

My faith in customer service with Tesla was totally renewed because we had an Onsite technician come out (Ryan) out here in the DFW / Midlothian TX area.

This guy was A+++ AWESOME.

Our glove box was wired to the audio, so when you tried opening it, it would make an audio noise (someone replaced it before and fudged it up). He also fixed our frunk, by aligning the rubber nob (it wasn't aligned properly when it closed, so it appears as if it had no spring on one side.

And we had a really bad air filter - that smelled like vinegar. It was gross.

The guy was awesome and explained everything - answered all our questions.

I highly recommend first time buyers to find a reason to bring an onsite technician out - maybe a filter change, because they are super knowledgeable about Teslas!

I feel way better after this.

Reactions: DrChaos and Dewg
I have yet to interact with anyone at Tesla. I understand Elon wants to automate everything, but there should be some wiggle room to reach a real person when their automation is unable to satisfy public requests -- especially when encapsulated in a high value purchase, such as the car we bought. It would be refreshing to hear from someone at Tesla say "We see all the problems in your almost brand new car, we're here to help". But that voice is nowhere to be found. The magic is fading back to the car itself; almost like as if there were no Imagineers at Disney World, and no princesses for my daughter to meet, just automated machines everywhere and thousands of confused people.

Tesla hates humans talking on the phone.

But if you open service requests in the app, then at that point you can write emails (through the app) to service advisors, but that's usually the only way to get a person, with a specific service request. There is no request for 'my feelings are hurt and I want to talk to a human live', it doesn't compute in Elon's autistic universe.

Put in a service request through app for everything. That's the only feedback they ever look at.

FYI I'm not defending this, only describing the apparent reality.

Reactions: ndallas1983