Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time Tesla buyer; Model x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I am looking to buy an electric SUV. There are 3 in the market the 2020 Model X, the E tron and the Jaguar I. This is going our only car and we it will used as a family car and we have 3 kids, so we need space for 3 car seats. I understand the Model X delivers on that front, and the E Tron also does (thought it is difficult to find that information). I have 4 main concerns for the Model X (which i do not think are an issue for the e tron):
1) General reliability. I understand all in electric (as opposed to manual) in a Tesla, how often to people have electric problems (doors, windows, etc), the small stuff not motor or the like. This is a special concern because I understand repairs take time.
2) Falcon doors. They seem impracticable (though extremely cool). Are they really a problem (for example, if you go to an underground parking, when there is rain, etc.) or is it manageable (i read that some people just solve their issues by coming out of the car an manually avoiding the doors hitting the ceiling of their garage).
3) Parking outdoors. Is this an issue? I read somewhere that the paint isn't great.
4) Sun/Windshield. Road trips will primarily be during the summer, so I would like to know your thinking about the windshield, as a lot of people say that because it design the car get super warm.

We have been in a similar situation like you a few months ago (although EV is our family's 2nd car, though quickly became the primary for every day use). It was our first EV purchase and we looks at Model X, Model Y, E-tron and I-Pace. I pace got eliminated very quickly as itts small and my wife didn't like the look. We drove the E-tron and yes the interior quality/build is nice (its a classic Audi), but I will tell you that we both walked away thinking...there is nothing wrong with this car, but its just a bit boring compared to Tesla. The kids hated the back seats as the side windows are fairly high relative to the seat and it was hard for them to see outside well. Also the range is only rated at 200 miles and Audi doesn't have the supercharging network.
At that point we pretty much decided we wanted a Tesla and the hardest decision was whether to go with X or Y. We agonized over this for probably 2 months. The Y was the choice that was $30k cheaper and 'safer', but the interior and the ride quality of the X is in a different league. Ultimately we bought the X and every time we drive it we keep saying how awesome this car is. I am a lifelong "car-guy' and come from the world of Porsches, BMWs, Audis etc....The X is a special and unique car in so many ways.
Sorry for not answering your questions directly. My kids love the Falcon doors. The are actually more practical that standard doors as you can get in and out of the car and load items much more easily. My friend had his X for 4 years and has never hit anything.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
I drove the other 2 SUVs before trading our S for an X. The Jag is very small inside, doubt could get 3 car seats in it, more of a tall car - controls not very thought out. The Audi probably would fit but an EV trying to imitate gas version. Tesla would fit 3 car seats and was best at being an EV.
1) Reliability - Our S had a few minor issues several years ago, nothing that was very significant, all covered under warranty and they provided rental if over night repair. The X we have had for 1 year and the 3 for 2 years, neither has had any electrical issues - the 3 had cracked sunroof replaced as only issue.
2) Falcon doors - The doors have sensors, never came close to hitting anything like ceiling or garage door opener. They automatically limit opening to prevent hitting anything, more an issue if open enough to get to car seats in a garage. They do allow manual override if needed. In rain, they provide some shelter.
3) Parking outdoors - Not an issue, the S was parked outside for 3 years, paint was still good.
4) Windshield. They provide a shade to block the upper part of the windshield and tint is very dark. The vehicle also has setting to keep from getting too hot automatically and can be precooled via the app any time. We live in a very hot area with black car and black seats, no issue with too hot.

Reactions: KBaoBao
We have the Model X for almost three years now. We love it! as for your questions
1. Reliability has been great. Outside warranty we had one electrical issue. The actuator of the passenger door broke. Was a $40 repair. nothing to complain about;
2. Falcon doors are great as you get in and out very easy, especially with smaller children. They are a bit of an attention seeker though which is a bit annoying. As in parking garages, yes they have sensors. You have to be careful as sometimes there are pipes along the ceiling. One time I was parking and the sensors did not pick that up and the falcon wing door hit it. Luckily, I had my car wrapped and the wrapped saved the day. Only needed to change a strip of wrap.
3. Love the windshield. No issues. What I like about electric cars is that you can keep climate on when you go shopping or you can pre-heat/cool before you leave. Love that! Also, keep in mind the Model X comes with two separate air conditioning units one for the from and one for the rear.

On reliability - I’ve had about half a dozen times in 2.5 years that something needed to be fixed, like the items you mentioned. I’ve never waited longer than a week for an appointment, they’ve never taken longer than a day to fix the item, and they’ve always given me a loaner vehicle. I understand this varies for different service centers, so you might want to get advice from some Tesla owners near you about their experience.

Falcon doors, not a problem here. Occasionally they are too conservative and don’t open all the way when they could. I manually override that.

Paint has been great. Looks pretty much new after 2.5 years. I had it ceramic coated as soon as I got it.

I love the windshield, it was one of the things that tipped the scales for us to get the model X. The one scenario that I do not love, tho, is driving due West, for hours, during the summer, in the sun, with the temperature over 90 F. The mesh screen over the top part is a necessity for this. I’ve had the ac struggle a bit to keep up. I would also note that I once leant the car to someone who is very tall and for whom we needed to remove the mesh because he was actually looking through it. Tho not impossible, not ideal. I am not tall and the mesh is above my line of sight. I only put the mesh screen in when it is particularly hot, sunny and when I’ll be driving facing the sun.

One thing you did not mention is charging availability on the road. Especially if this is going to be your only vehicle. Would it be practical if you wanted to drive an extended distance, say from NY to Boston or DC. I think you will find that Tesla is the only manufacturer with the support infrastructure allowing practical interstate travel.

We're only a year into our X ownership but have been completely happy so far. Only reliability issue we have experienced is the rear AC going out on us around a month after purchase. Turned out to have been an o-ring that was broken during manufacturing and eventually caused a fluid leak under the car, disabling that A/C unit. Since it was summer and this is my wife's car, I just showed up at the service center and they were able to sneak me in and take care of it in about an hour. Other than that, no issues.

Re: the doors. Mine have never come close to hitting anything. If anything the sensors are a little more cautious than I'd like. In our garage, for example, they will stop a solid foot before hitting the overhead door, and we have to override if we have adults getting in. For our kids, it's no problem, though, and they just sneak in and go. Parking in rain has been no issue--there's a channel around the doors for water to flow out so it doesn't just dump in. If you were to park on a significant incline during a heavy rain, you'd probably get some rain falling in when opening the doors, though. Not something I'd spend too much time worrying about, though.

Re: the giant windshield and heat. Hasn't been an issue for me. It is tinted above the point at which a 'normal' windshield would end, so that mitigates extra heat significantly. It is very bright in sunlight, though, and for me sunglasses are a must. The visor works fine, but it's just a lot of light even if you block the direct sun. Well worth it for the incredible view, IMO.

No paint issues here as of yet.

Overall, we love the car. It drives great--not quite as svelte as our 3, but for a gigantic 7-seater it sure is fun.

As others have mentioned, if you plan to road trip, then the other two cars you mentioned really don't compete. I've done tens of thousands of miles of road trips in our Teslas, and charging has virtually never been an issue. The vast majority of stops, the cars are ready to go before we are.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

- We've had our X for over two years and love it. I thought the falcon wing doors would be a gimmick but as it turns out, it's great for small kids and getting them in and out of a carseat (less back strain, protection from rain, more room).
- We never had any problems parking, and we've fit into some really tight spaces. Not once did our doors hit another object or car while opening.
- Never had paint problems and heat never seamed to be a big issue (though we do have a cream interior)
- One thing I'd mention as a big win over other EVs right now is the charging network. We don't road trip often, but when we do (maybe once or twice a year), having the supercharging network has been amazing. No other company has that. There are charging stations that are slower, but you can't charge and be on your way over lunch with other EVs.

In our garage, for example, they will stop a solid foot before hitting the overhead door, and we have to override if we have adults getting in.
After you do the manual override, you should get the option on the touchscreen to always fully open at that location.
7465CE87-CB8C-462B-BF4C-492FC5A8FF54.jpeg