TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First time to drive a car

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pilar Beckner, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Pilar Beckner

Pilar Beckner Member

Is 16 years old too young for someone to start driving? My niece keeps on asking if she can start learning to drive. We told her to wait til she turns 18 but she insists all the time.

2. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I learned before my sixteenth birthday and got my license shortly after it, which I think is typical of my generation.

I think it really depends on the person. Some fourteen year olds would be fine (not legal, of course,) and other folks in their twenties don't seem up to the task.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

I was driving motor scooters at age 14 with a license, by 16, I was fully licensed.

I start to learn to drive well before 16.

4. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

This is really dependent on where you live and how mature your child is. My oldest is 8 and he is very intelligent and mature. Ive let him drive my F150 with him sharing the drivers seat so I can hit the brake or turn the wheel if I need to. He drives around in a remote large parking lot. Operates the brake and accelerator with no problem. Ive let him do this since he was 6 years old. My youngest doesnt have the attention span.

This translates that my oldest will probably be licensed by the time he is 16. My youngest will probably be later, but things could change by then.

• Like x 1
  5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.32.4

I took Driver's Education at my high school over the summer when I was 15. It was the first time I'd ever driven a car. The nice thing was that after taking the class, I was able to just take proof of my grade to the Driver License office and exchange it for a permit. A month later, I exchanged the permit for a regular license when I turned 16. I never had to take a separate test there. :)

Of course at the time, the legal age was 15 for permits and 16 for a license. For farm vehicles, I think you can be even younger. Your country/state may have different restrictions on age limits.