Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time using schedule, car won't run initially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR, one week old, new owner & a VERY nervous wife.
Yesterday she got regenerative braking error. Stayed on screen entire way to work. Can that be dismissed? She is a nurse who leaves for work at 5:15 AM.
Last night I added "schedule" to pre condition battery and warm car. Not on charger.
This morning she got in car and it would not run. From my bedroom I loaded the app, fiddled around, said "try it now" and off she went.
Why would it not "just run"?
Thanks

The regenerative braking message should be an informational message (green (i) icon), not an error. Might be because the battery's too full or too cold. Regen is charging, and the car protects the battery from charging in those conditions. NOTHING to worry about.

You will need to explain what you mean by "would not run". Sometimes the "phone as key" has trouble and needs the cell phone to be configured to allow the app to run all the time in the background, as an example. That would not be a problem with the car itself.

Reactions: Big Earl
I had charged the battery to 80%, then the car sat. It was a chilly AM & I think the error was caused by a cold battery & no pre conditioning.
The next day I setup scheduled pre conditioning for 5:15 AM departure. Right now all I know is my wife came back in the house and "said the car won't start/run". She went back out and was working. I'll ask details this evening.
Within two hours of delivery she had a sudden acceleration incident which scared the hell out of her. So much so I thought we were going to have to sell our 1 day old Tesla. She is just starting to warm up to it but any little incident casts doubt.

I had charged the battery to 80%, then the car sat. It was a chilly AM & I think the error was caused by a cold battery & no pre conditioning.
The next day I setup scheduled pre conditioning for 5:15 AM departure. Right now all I know is my wife came back in the house and "said the car won't start/run". She went back out and was working. I'll ask details this evening.
Within two hours of delivery she had a sudden acceleration incident which scared the hell out of her. So much so I thought we were going to have to sell our 1 day old Tesla. She is just starting to warm up to it but any little incident casts doubt.
Consider setting the car to Chill mode for her learning. (Acceleration issue). Need further details on he won’t start. Did she use app or card to start. These cars go to sleep. She may just not be used to the new curve. I showed my wife to just open the app before leaving (even 20 Minutes before) and select climate and on. Car and battery warm to a pleasant departure

I have not yet heard of one single "sudden acceleration" that was a bug with the car. The accelerator pedal is responsive and the motors have zero lag and a lot of torque. Someone used to a sloshy automatic transmission mated with a low power engine might be surprised at first. Getting used to the car in a parking is recommended if that's the case. Chill mode can be used but that limit overall available power to about 200hp so I typically don't recommend it.

Learn to pay attention to Park vs Drive. The car doesn't make a sound, and in Hold mode could be stopped without using the brakes but could still be in drive. Inadvertently touching the accelerator while in Drive could have bad consequences. I drive in one pedal Hold mode so I do recommend it but it's definitely not the same as an automatic ICE car.

Pay attention not to use autopilot everywhere, like in a drivethru at a restaurant for example. When the car in front advances, your car might advance too without accelerator input. That's normal if autopilot is on but might not be what you want it to do.

Is there a reason you can't leave the car plugged in? Setting the car to off-peak charging telling it you want to leave at 5am. It'll charge closer to departure time and have everything warmed up. Then set pre-condition for the same departure time. You'll never have to worry about a cold battery in the morning.

Reactions: howardnj
Sounds like she needs to get used to the vehicle. Definitely keep it in chill mode. I would also suggest turning on auto brakes when regen is limited/unavailable. It will make deceleration more predictable and I believe the warning won’t show.

Controls > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited

As already pointed out if you can keep the car plugged in overnight and then use both scheduled departure and off peak setting it should help with more regen being available. Even if you don't have off peak rates you need to set this or else the car will charge when first plugged in (typically in the evening after work and the battery will be cooler when leaving in the morning).

I've only had my car for 5 days and it took me to yesterday to figure out how the scheduled departure, off peak and scheduled charging settings interact with each other.

You can use the following combinations:
1) Scheduled Departure without Off Peak and Scheduled Charging (you cannot use Scheduled Departure WITH Off Peak AND Scheduled Charging)
2) Scheduled Departure with Off Peak
3) Scheduled Departure without Off Peak
4) Scheduled Charging on its own

They behave as follows:
1) Charging will start at the time you set for Scheduled Charging. The car will precondition the cabin ahead of the time set for Scheduled departure
2) The car will not start charging till closer to the Scheduled Departure time...it basically calculates how much time it needs to charge and starts a little earlier than that. (This assumes you set Scheduled Departure and Off Peak to the same time setting)
3) Car will charge when you first plug in and precondition the cabin before departure time.
4) Car will charge when you tell it to but won't precondition before leaving

The manual recommends that even if you don't have off peak rates, if you want to use Scheduled Departure, that you set the same time for Off Peak. This is what I hadn't figured out till last night. I don't have off peak rates. So I now tell the car to Schedule Departure at 7AM and set Off Peak to 7AM. That tells the car not to charge when I get home after work but instead charge before leaving and condition the cabin before leaving. This maximizes battery temp to get as much regen as possible when leaving to work at 7AM. I have a downhill journey to work so having the regen is nice.

Regarding my wife unable to get the car to run this morning. She sat in the car, it didn't seem to recognize her so she selected herself from the screen. The seat went forward, then back, then forward again. She selected D and nothing. She exited the car, told me(in bed) what happened, I messed with the app, she went back out and all worked. My wife and kids use iPhones :( I use a Pixel Android phone. I mention that as I have read about some iPhone related issues.
Today is charge day, 80%, so charger is plugged in and schedule is set to "Departure", Departure 5:15AM, Weekdays. Offpeak is off and doesn't apply in my area.
I would like to say "Thank You" to all who have responded. Although it is my wife car I know she ordered partially because I liked the Tesla. Just want her to like it as well!

Regarding my wife unable to get the car to run this morning. She sat in the car, it didn't seem to recognize her so she selected herself from the screen. The seat went forward, then back, then forward again. She selected D and nothing. She exited the car, told me(in bed) what happened, I messed with the app, she went back out and all worked. My wife and kids use iPhones :( I use a Pixel Android phone. I mention that as I have read about some iPhone related issues.
Today is charge day, 80%, so charger is plugged in and schedule is set to "Departure", Departure 5:15AM, Weekdays. Offpeak is off and doesn't apply in my area.
I would like to say "Thank You" to all who have responded. Although it is my wife car I know she ordered partially because I liked the Tesla. Just want her to like it as well!
As I mentioned above Tesla recommends in the manual to set Off Peak to ON even if you don't have off peak rates and set it at 5:15AM. This way the car charges closer to departure and doesn't sit with an 80% battery all night after an evening charge after work. Also this leaves the battery warmer on departure for better regen.

Reactions: E90alex
Sorry just sounds like she just doesn’t get it and rightfully so as the experience is completely opposite of what she is likely used to coming from a gas car. Take her through the process and help her. As when she got in the screen came on so access (card or phone is working). The fact that it didn’t auto setup for her profile would be on you for not looking through the manual and helping her setup Her profile for Her card/phone. Once done it works rather reliably. As she shifted to “D” of coarse it won’t move that’s how it’s setup Which again is likely new to her just like braking etc. Help her through the learning curve and consider a read of the manual.

I plug my Y in every day in my garage to the HPWC when I'm done driving for the day. I scheduled it to beginning charging at midnight to 90% with the temp set for 68. My departure time is 6AM. My car is ready at 6AM and on cold mornings the temp inside is 68 degrees. The regen braking works fine.