Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time with mobile charger, but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

privater

2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner
Jun 22, 2016
CA
I just installed 14-50 in my garage, and want to try the mobile charger for the first time, then I see this:

IMG_0947.jpg

If it's raining I might have been killed if I didn't notice this, Tesla should do better in the quality check before giving those to owner. :(

I canceled my charging plan and went to a Service center got a replacement, so just a FYI: before charging check your cable for potential leakage.

Had you plugged it in you would have been ok based on what I can see from your photo. The heavy thick rubber sleeve that is slashed is just that, a protective sleeve for the actual wires themselves, which also have individual sleeves. However, you did the right thing by going an getting it replaced.

Reactions: Tree95
I believe every mobile connector is actually tested before/during car delivery. Mine was plugged in when I was accepting delivery of my car. Yeah, not a fun thing to come across such quality control issues, good thing the cut was easy to find...

Looks like that's the long cable, not the short one. Even if the cut had gone down to the copper, being killed was probably not in the cards -- the box part of the UMC (and every EVSE) incorporates a GFCI. So a brief, nasty poke, maybe. Death, probably not (don't try it though).

Reactions: stormos
I just installed 14-50 in my garage, and want to try the mobile charger for the first time, then I see this:

<photo removed>

If it's raining I might have been killed if I didn't notice this, Tesla should do better in the quality check before giving those to owner. :(

I canceled my charging plan and went to a Service center got a replacement, so just a FYI: before charging check your cable for potential leakage.

What were you using in your garage before if not the 14-50? Or is this a brand new car, first time charging at home?