TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First time with mobile charger, but...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by privater, Aug 8, 2016.

1. privater

privater 2016 Model S60 owner

I just installed 14-50 in my garage, and want to try the mobile charger for the first time, then I see this:

IMG_0947.jpg

If it's raining I might have been killed if I didn't notice this, Tesla should do better in the quality check before giving those to owner. :(

I canceled my charging plan and went to a Service center got a replacement, so just a FYI: before charging check your cable for potential leakage.

2. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Had you plugged it in you would have been ok based on what I can see from your photo. The heavy thick rubber sleeve that is slashed is just that, a protective sleeve for the actual wires themselves, which also have individual sleeves. However, you did the right thing by going an getting it replaced.

• Like x 1
  3. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

I believe every mobile connector is actually tested before/during car delivery. Mine was plugged in when I was accepting delivery of my car. Yeah, not a fun thing to come across such quality control issues, good thing the cut was easy to find...

4. jgs

jgs Member

Looks like that's the long cable, not the short one. Even if the cut had gone down to the copper, being killed was probably not in the cards -- the box part of the UMC (and every EVSE) incorporates a GFCI. So a brief, nasty poke, maybe. Death, probably not (don't try it though).

• Like x 1
  5. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I would get that replaced sooner rather than later. that said, it is probably ok for temporary use while you wait for a replacement.

6. hapadakara

hapadakara New Member

I had the same issue in approximately the same location. I was planning on taking it to the service center this week and see if they could replace it.

7. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

What were you using in your garage before if not the 14-50? Or is this a brand new car, first time charging at home?