Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First tire rotation at ~6,500 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did the first tire rotation (front <-> rear) at ~6,500 miles. Discovered a few things:
  • With jack pucks in the jack point holes, my trolley jack is too high to fit under the jack pucks. I had to back the car halfway up some ramps in order to make the clearance to jack it up at the rear jack point with the jack puck.
  • The jack stands that I have are too high to fit under the front jack point. Not completely required (since I was not going under the car), but I would have preferred to be able to put a jack stand there as an additional safety measure.
  • 129 lb-ft is a higher wheel nut torque spec than most cars. The 150 lb-ft torque wrench that I have is not that long, so a 250 lb-ft torque wrench with a longer handle would be better.
  • The torque wrench barely clears the car with a normal 21mm socket on it. A deep socket would be better.
  • Before rotation, the front tires measured 8/32" tread (basically new), while the rear tires measured 7/32" tread. With rotation, that indicates about 1/32" wear every 13,000 miles, so the tires should last about 52,000 miles until 4/32" (after which I would replace when the next rainy season comes) or 78,000 miles until 2/32" (the legal minimum). Without rotation, the rear tires would probably be down to 4/32" at around 26,000 miles, and down to 2/32" at around 39,000 miles. However, these are not precise estimates; it may take more mileage and tire rotations to get better estimates. Your tire mileage may vary. If you do a lot of hard acceleration, you may want to rotate the tires more frequently.
Questions:
  • Does the car automatically discover the tires' new positions for TPMS purposes?
  • What easier and/or better jack and jack stand solutions are there that are not excessively expensive (i.e. do not want to have to install a shop lift in my garage)?

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and bruce4000
Man, you are putting way too much thought and effort into rotating tires.

rotate them, when they get to the wear bars, replace them. nothing in between that step is relevant. use a socket extension. just tighten the lugnuts until they're secure, you don't need a torque wrench. You don't need jack stands, just jack up one point until both wheels are off the ground and rotate them.

Here's a cheap and decent jack that will work fine: 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with RAPID PUMP

Also pick up some whiskey and take a few swigs of it before doing your next project so you don't overthink that either.

Reactions: Jane4
Man, you are putting way too much thought and effort into rotating tires.

rotate them, when they get to the wear bars, replace them. nothing in between that step is relevant. use a socket extension. just tighten the lugnuts until they're secure, you don't need a torque wrench. You don't need jack stands, just jack up one point until both wheels are off the ground and rotate them.

Here's a cheap and decent jack that will work fine: 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with RAPID PUMP

Also pick up some whiskey and take a few swigs of it before doing your next project so you don't overthink that either.
Do I take the whiskey before or after the project? 😜😜

• Funny
Reactions: Jane4
America’s/Discount Tire has online appointments and I’m out-and-on-my-way in under 30 minutes. Used to use Costco years ago but their tire staff are less skilled/careful and take hours to get to your car.
generally true but it just depends on the management.
I've had Americas tire break all the center caps, over torque wheels and not balance wheels correctly.
They all have high turnover and high volume, so it's really finding a shop with good management.

Break lug nuts loose on one side of car.
Jack up the whole side with a floor jack and a jack puck (use the rear jack point). Swap the tires front to back. Snug the lug nuts down. Lower the car back down. Torque (I use a small 2” extension to keep the wrench from hitting the car). Repeat. Takes about 15 minutes.
That works for rotating tires yourself, but how are you rebalancing your own tires as the tread wears down?