Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First track day prep...brake fluid? Expected range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signed up for my first track day in my P3D, it's coming up on 5/18. I'm in Phoenix, so I'm expecting the daytime high to be somewhere in the 90's.

First question is regarding range:

I've seen a few people post about not being able to do a full 4 sessions at Buttonwillow, but I'm not sure how that compares to the track here. I'll be running in the HPDE3 group at Wild Horse Motorsports Park East track, it's 1.25 miles, all flat. HPDE does four 20 minute sessions typically. If I leave home at 100% SOC, I should be able to arrive at the track with 87% remaining. I could make a supercharger stop along the way and arrive at the track with ~92% instead if necessary. No idea what to expect for battery usage while at the track...anyone care to offer a guess? I'm trying to figure out if I should plan on charging between sessions. There's an RV park across the freeway where I can get access to a NEMA 14-50 outlet, but I'd have to rent a spot from them at their $55 nightly price and hop back-and-forth.

Here's the track layout:
WHPEastsm_1.jpg

Second question...brake fluid:
Should I plan to change the brake fluid out for a better type before the session? Or is the stock stuff likely sufficient for my first outing? Thoughts/opinions?

I would try and show up as full as possible. That way you can make sure you get the most out of your day. Also bring your charger, hopefully the track has some RV outlets that you can use in between sessions. Most important thing is to have fun.