TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First Trip in 90D

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Chuckrs, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Chuckrs

Chuckrs Member

Picking up the 90D X Saturday and need help figuring out where to charge on my first trip.

Driving from Wayland, MA to Canaan, NY (just past the Berkshires) which is about 125 miles. There is a rise in elevation to 1700 feet. There is a Supercharger in Springfield MA, about 80 miles from Wayland. I do not yet have a NEMA connection on the summer cottage so can't charge overnight.

Question: do I stop at Springfield Supercharger on the way out (with only 80 miles driven, it may take a long time to charge up. Or do I go to my destination where I will put on about 40 miles, and stop in Springfield on the way home.

As I figure, with 125 miles for the trip, 40 miles for recreation while there, that's 165 miles. Springfield is 45 miles from my destination, so I should arrive there with about 20 miles to spare if all goes well, assuming I can get about 230 miles from the charge at home.

Thoughts?

2. st50maint

st50maint Member

The supercharger in Lee, MA should be perfect for you.
    People say it is open as of last Friday but it may not be official yet.
    See this thread for details.

Supercharger - Lee, MA

3. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I would suggest you get to know your own comfort zone, driving habits/terrain and their impact on the mileage. Rather than worry about an extra 30 minutes at the SC, just stop on the outbound leg somewhere and top off. Continue with your getaway and begin to build your personal gauge. Range anxiety is a common and necessary step to complete confidence. Have a worry-free blast!

PS - our neighborhood had a rite of passage when getting drivers licenses. We'd pile into the new drivers car and head out route 20 to Wayland/Sudbury area to some all you can eat lobster buffet and these huuuge cocktails.. :) It was a crazy 70 miles from where we lived on the north shore and long ago. :eek:

4. Chuckrs

Chuckrs Member

UOTE="st50maint, post: 1697149, member: 37057"]The supercharger in Lee, MA should be perfect for you.
    People
    [Qsay it is open as of last Friday but it may not be official yet.
    See this thread for details.

Supercharger - Lee, MA[/QUOTE]
    THANKS. It just went on line so the problem is solved.

5. Chuckrs

Chuckrs Member

6. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

But is that crazy restaurant still around? LOL

7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Make sure you call before your pickup time to ensure your car is charged. You should not have to do this after your transfer of ownership.

8. Chuckrs

Chuckrs Member

Don't think so. If it is I don't know it.

9. jrichey

jrichey Member

I'm sure your summer cottage has a standard outlet you could hook into. That will get you 20-30 miles overnight, better than nothing for sure...

• Like x 3
  10. Chuckrs

Chuckrs Member

True. Thanks.

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

your 125 mile trip at 75 mph will probably use at least 165+ miles of range due to speed and elevation changes. you would be wise to top off in order to have enough range to return to springfield.
    get a 12 guage extension cord and you can add 3 miles an hour off of a 110 outlet at the house.

12. Chuckrs

Chuckrs Member

kort677 - thanks. The Supercharger in Lee Ma is open according to a thread here so I should be fine. But thanks for the warning about more miles than I thought on the way out.

13. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

I got a new 90D (MS) in May. I went through all these mental calculations as you are doing, and found out that if I really need to, I can charge (at home) to 100%, giving a claimed range of 294 mi., which is probably a achieveable range of at least 250 mi. You may find out that you can make this trip without charging. For purposes of dealing with range anxiety, you could certainly plan to come home via the supercharger route so that you can get some electrons if you need them; but you might not need them.

14. Chuckrs

Chuckrs Member

The S gets more range than the X. The max rated for the X is 257, so got to figure more like 220 with good conditions. But the Lee, MA Supercharger is open - wife sent me pictures so I'll be fine.

15. jrichey

jrichey Member

@st50maint why did you dislike my post?

16. Chuckrs

Chuckrs Member

Didn't know I disliked it. Didn't mean too.

17. st50maint

st50maint Member

#17 st50maint, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Me too. I rarely dislike a post. Sorry if it was my mistake.

• Like x 1
  18. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

If you like, you can un-dislike it by going back to his post and select the "undo rating" in the bottom right corner.

• Like x 1
  19. jrichey

jrichey Member

Thanks @st50maint for clarifying. All good...

20. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Clicking the reaction icons on the phone is challenging - I often end up disliking posts that I intended to like or rate as funny. Fortunately, you can just hit the undo rating button and try to click the right one again. :)