Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip in 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up the 90D X Saturday and need help figuring out where to charge on my first trip.

Driving from Wayland, MA to Canaan, NY (just past the Berkshires) which is about 125 miles. There is a rise in elevation to 1700 feet. There is a Supercharger in Springfield MA, about 80 miles from Wayland. I do not yet have a NEMA connection on the summer cottage so can't charge overnight.

Question: do I stop at Springfield Supercharger on the way out (with only 80 miles driven, it may take a long time to charge up. Or do I go to my destination where I will put on about 40 miles, and stop in Springfield on the way home.

As I figure, with 125 miles for the trip, 40 miles for recreation while there, that's 165 miles. Springfield is 45 miles from my destination, so I should arrive there with about 20 miles to spare if all goes well, assuming I can get about 230 miles from the charge at home.

Thoughts?

I would suggest you get to know your own comfort zone, driving habits/terrain and their impact on the mileage. Rather than worry about an extra 30 minutes at the SC, just stop on the outbound leg somewhere and top off. Continue with your getaway and begin to build your personal gauge. Range anxiety is a common and necessary step to complete confidence. Have a worry-free blast!

PS - our neighborhood had a rite of passage when getting drivers licenses. We'd pile into the new drivers car and head out route 20 to Wayland/Sudbury area to some all you can eat lobster buffet and these huuuge cocktails.. :) It was a crazy 70 miles from where we lived on the north shore and long ago. :eek:

Picking up the 90D X Saturday and need help figuring out where to charge on my first trip.

Driving from Wayland, MA to Canaan, NY (just past the Berkshires) which is about 125 miles. There is a rise in elevation to 1700 feet. There is a Supercharger in Springfield MA, about 80 miles from Wayland. I do not yet have a NEMA connection on the summer cottage so can't charge overnight.

Question: do I stop at Springfield Supercharger on the way out (with only 80 miles driven, it may take a long time to charge up. Or do I go to my destination where I will put on about 40 miles, and stop in Springfield on the way home.

As I figure, with 125 miles for the trip, 40 miles for recreation while there, that's 165 miles. Springfield is 45 miles from my destination, so I should arrive there with about 20 miles to spare if all goes well, assuming I can get about 230 miles from the charge at home.

Thoughts?
your 125 mile trip at 75 mph will probably use at least 165+ miles of range due to speed and elevation changes. you would be wise to top off in order to have enough range to return to springfield.
get a 12 guage extension cord and you can add 3 miles an hour off of a 110 outlet at the house.

Thoughts?
I got a new 90D (MS) in May. I went through all these mental calculations as you are doing, and found out that if I really need to, I can charge (at home) to 100%, giving a claimed range of 294 mi., which is probably a achieveable range of at least 250 mi. You may find out that you can make this trip without charging. For purposes of dealing with range anxiety, you could certainly plan to come home via the supercharger route so that you can get some electrons if you need them; but you might not need them.