Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip in New P100DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
Made my first trip in the new Model S and here are a few observations:

1. Navigation- Ran Waze and Tesla Nav side by side for trip from NJ to LI (around or through NYC), which is not an easy nav task. Interestingly I followed the Tesla Nav and just looked at how it compared to Waze. Each time they disagreed, when I too the Tesla route, Waze arrival time improved. Very strange, but happy with result. Even routed me directly through Manhatten on the return and turned out to be quick and easy today (definitely not always true). On the way out it routed me over the GW and through the Bronx, which is my normal choice and that seemed the best route on that day and time. Overall pretty happy with navigation performance considering what I have read.
  2. Destination Charging (Parent's House) - Made up a dryer outlet cord adapter (NEMA 10-30) based on PDF from this thread (Home made charging adapters) and it worked perfectly. Charged at between 16 and 18 mi/hr which was fine for an overnight charge back to full battery.
  3. Autosteer - Worked well in almost all instances and up to 80 MPH. Only had to intervene a couple of times and used it for almost all highway miles (50%+ of the trip). Happy with performance, but will take longer to get used to using this.
Great first experience and no concerns about range (my first trip in my first EV, so wasn't sure how I would feel). Really love this car so far.

I wonder if the build quality has improved, if you drive in heavy rain, do you hear lots of cabin noise, so much that it disturbs normal discussion and radio listening?

That's a new one to me. I have only driven mine in the rain on the day I picked it up and the cabin noise was not high at all. I did have some brake squeal, but plan to bed the brakes in when I get a chance to alleviate that. Other than that nothing special.