Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip-Keep Getting Errors at Night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from a 3 hour road trip at night. I got repeated errors saying the the right side pillar camera was blocked, then an error saying multiple cameras are blocked, then one saying the left pillar camera was blocked. The glass is perfectly clean, nothing blinding the cameras, what the heck? I've had the car four days, screen has frozen twice, weird camera messages, braking for no apparent reason while on cruise control (not even in autosteer), driver's window makes a weird noise on the way down, geez!

@toddkageals The camera thing is normal, just darkness and/or reflections making the camera think it can't see, nothing to worry about.
Try giving the car a reboot (it's a computer on wheel, it needs rebooting :)). Keep the two toggles on the steering wheel pressed on at the same time until the screen goes black. When you see the Tesla logo, let go. If you keep the brake pedal pressed in as well, the reboot is should be 'harder'. I usually just do the two button one after a software upgrade. The windows can be recalibrated, have a look in the manual. If that doesn't help, give the service centre a call.

My car does the the 'phantom braking' sometimes, usually when overtaking a truck. This is my biggest issue with the car, the only real issue.

So, now for the important question..... Does the car put a smile on yoru face when you put your foot down? :D

@toddkageals The camera thing is normal, just darkness and/or reflections making the camera think it can't see, nothing to worry about.
Try giving the car a reboot (it's a computer on wheel, it needs rebooting :)). Keep the two toggles on the steering wheel pressed on at the same time until the screen goes black. When you see the Tesla logo, let go. If you keep the brake pedal pressed in as well, the reboot is should be 'harder'. I usually just do the two button one after a software upgrade. The windows can be recalibrated, have a look in the manual. If that doesn't help, give the service centre a call.

My car does the the 'phantom braking' sometimes, usually when overtaking a truck. This is my biggest issue with the car, the only real issue.

So, now for the important question..... Does the car put a smile on yoru face when you put your foot down? :D
Oh yes! No doubt about it. My various issues don't meant that I don't love to drive it!

Just got back from a 3 hour road trip at night. I got repeated errors saying the the right side pillar camera was blocked, then an error saying multiple cameras are blocked, then one saying the left pillar camera was blocked. The glass is perfectly clean, nothing blinding the cameras, what the heck? I've had the car four days, screen has frozen twice, weird camera messages, braking for no apparent reason while on cruise control (not even in autosteer), driver's window makes a weird noise on the way down, geez!

I think you should return the car. My car never has issues at night.

Maybe you're not telling us that it was also raining and snowing or the roads are wet, etc.

The screen should never freeze, make a service appointment. Camera's blocked or blinded is a common problem, I get it all the time in winter. I've found that preconditioning the car for 30 minutes before leaving helps, if the car is warm it will defog the cameras. Also when checking to see if your cameras are clean don't forget the two fender cameras, the front cameras and the pillar cameras are obvious, the backup camera is a little more hidden but the fender cameras don't jump out at you unless you realize that they are there.

The screen should never freeze, make a service appointment. Camera's blocked or blinded is a common problem, I get it all the time in winter. I've found that preconditioning the car for 30 minutes before leaving helps, if the car is warm it will defog the cameras. Also when checking to see if your cameras are clean don't forget the two fender cameras, the front cameras and the pillar cameras are obvious, the backup camera is a little more hidden but the fender cameras don't jump out at you unless you realize that they are there.
The "notifications" specified the pillar cameras and this happened frequently throughout at 3 hour+ drive home. Clear, dry conditions, probably 45-35 degrees throughout the trip. Car is brand new, not even dirty yet!

I think you should return the car. My car never has issues at night.

Maybe you're not telling us that it was also raining and snowing or the roads are wet, etc.
Question.....I was driving down the interstate highway (I77 and I81 in NC, and VA). It was dark out (obviously) and there was light to moderate traffic. Are you driving on dark highways at night? I was surprised that it kept saying the cameras were blocked and autopilot was restricted. I mean.....that's the time you WANT autopilot.....late night drive back home after a very long day. Having said that, autopilot SEEMED to continue to work fine, but the lane departure assist quit working.

then it is normal.
Hmmmmm.......I'm not sure I buy that 100% as "normal". Last night, I drove down a pitch black parkway and did not have a single error. Used autopilot the entire way. The only difference that I could see was that the speed on the parkway was 55MPH, the highway drive the other night was at 70MPH. It can't be normal for the car to limit autopilot functionality just because it's dark. I mean, that's when autopilot is most valuable to me, late night, dark, monotonous highway drive. 95% of the errors were on one side of the car, but there was no lighting on either side of the road. Seems more like a software glitch of some sort to me. I'll mention this to the service guy when he comes to install the homelink next week, let's see what he says.

Hmmmmm.......I'm not sure I buy that 100% as "normal". Last night, I drove down a pitch black parkway and did not have a single error. Used autopilot the entire way. The only difference that I could see was that the speed on the parkway was 55MPH, the highway drive the other night was at 70MPH. It can't be normal for the car to limit autopilot functionality just because it's dark. I mean, that's when autopilot is most valuable to me, late night, dark, monotonous highway drive. 95% of the errors were on one side of the car, but there was no lighting on either side of the road. Seems more like a software glitch of some sort to me. I'll mention this to the service guy when he comes to install the homelink next week, let's see what he says.

oh no it shouldnt limit the AP. it should just give you a warning i.e. some cameras dont have input. some features might not work etc.
I get this error all the time here when its dark and no streetlights.

A lot to unpack:
  • “Weird noise” on window: schedule mobile service.
  • Screen freezing: in the same category as your Mac or PC crashing: it shouldn’t happen, but occasionally does. If this is happening “a lot”, then you might consider checking with service.
  • Phantom braking on TACC: no ideas. Are you sure you didn’t have AP engaged?
  • Cameras: to some degree this is normal, in that certain conditions will cause it (rain, grime, low-angle sun or bright lights, pitch black driving conditions). There is also a common issue with condensation inside those pillar camera mounts. Check for that. If you have it, you can try service.

What firmware are you currently on since you only had the car for 4 days, new factory
software has been 2020.47.103 lately.

Connect your car to WIFI so you can download the newest firmware, most new cars come out with a funky factory firmware.

Never had any Camera Blocking Errors on my Model 3 nor my Model Y at night, the roads I take along the ocean is very dark except when the moon is out.

The only time I get the Right pillar camera blockage is at 5:30pm when the sun is coming down over the Western horizon right over the ocean, the sun blocks that camera on the right pillar on both cars.

Screen will slowly come back after a minute when you get inside the car. I noticed after this new 2021 update the screen is slower to boot up.

Had to reboot while driving today to get my Local FM Radio stations to work, my Spotify stations were fine. Same newest firmware but on the model Y.

Phantom breaking has been there forever, when I come up to a large bus and the bus has its rear yellow blinking lights, the car slows down rapidly, it’s actually good because maybe a person that just got off the bus might cross around the front of the bus and then in front of me.

The other issue with Phantom breaking is on the freeway, it doesn’t know what a Car Carrier is, especially when the Car Carrier is empty. The sensors and radar just see a bunch of metal beams that the signal goes right through it. So I get a constant slow down when I come up to one and it never fails, I take it out of Auto pilot and re-apply after I pass it.

Make a Service Appointment on your App to get that sound checked from the window. Sounds like something broke and it’s scraping along the glass as you open or close it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stranger Dings

To recalibrate the windows the manual says to lower all four, raise them, then lower and raise them again. I've only done that once, when the wind noise seemed a bit excessive, and it worked. I love my M3, but I do think the phantom braking issue is something that needs to be addressed. In fact, there is one intersection I frequently pass thru where the car phantom brakes close to half the time I go thru it. Once, the car behind me blasted his horn at me and I have to admit I don't blame him. So now I always turn off cruise control before getting to that intersection.

- My screen froze up on the way home from when the car was delivered a year ago ... and hasn't done it again since. So I wouldn't worry about that unless it keeps happening over and over.
- I'd put in a service request for the camera thing and the window noise to see if they can straighten those two out for you.
- Phantom braking still happens to most of us sometimes, but has gotten much less frequent over the last year for me, so it seems like they are making some progress with that. I'm hoping that the new autopilot will make further progress in this area when it is eventually integrated into the public release auto steer. I don't believe you should expect it to be less likely with cruise control only as it works the same as when auto steer is on on teslas.

My suggestion would be to be patient and positive about getting used to the new car and a couple of initial glitches - it will make everything go more smoothly, and you'll enjoy your first weeks of owning a cool new car!