Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip-Keep Getting Errors at Night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same exact problem on a 2021 M3P built May 2021. Black country road with no lights. Both sides have the error individually, and then eventually “multiple cameras are blocked or blinded.” We have a service appointment Thursday.

Same with the phantom braking both in cruise and autopilot. It does it once per day on my wife’s commute. Normally 70 to 40 mph on the freeway with people right behind her in the fast lane. Pretty cool.

The screen has locked up once on us and with a reset didn’t come back.

The right taillight outer came brand new filled with water. Tesla replaced that a week later at our house.

It’s a cool car worth owning but Tesla certainly does their beta testing on their customers. Lol

Same exact problem on a 2021 M3P built May 2021. We have about 3k miles on the car in a month. Black/dark country road with no lights. Both side cameras have the error individually, and then eventually “multiple cameras are blocked or blinded.” We have a service appointment Thursday.

Same with the phantom braking both in cruise and autopilot. It does it at least once per day on my wife’s commute. Normally 70 to 40 mph on the freeway with people right behind her in the fast lane. Lots of times when going under overpasses. Pretty cool.

The right outer taillight came brand new filled with water. Tesla replaced that a week later at our house. This was an easy process overall with the app.

It’s a cool car that’s worth owning but Tesla certainly does their beta testing on their customers. Lol

Reactions: Jejunjm
Same exact problem on a 2021 M3P built May 2021. Black country road with no lights. Both sides have the error individually, and then eventually “multiple cameras are blocked or blinded.” We have a service appointment Thursday.

The cameras can’t see in the dark. It’s not a bug, just a limit of capability (e.g. they are regular cameras, not night-vision/infrared). There is nothing for service to address.

Same with the phantom braking both in cruise and autopilot. It does it once per day on my wife’s commute. Normally 70 to 40 mph on the freeway with people right behind her in the fast lane. Pretty cool.

This feature is unreliable and dangerous; hopefully it will get better, but I personally use it with extreme caution.

Very rare. Will never be totally eliminated though, any more than Windows/OS X/Linux/iOS/etc lockups and crashes will ever completely go away. Moderate your expectations.

The right taillight outer came brand new filled with water. Tesla replaced that a week later at our house.

Quality control manufacturing problem. If your new ones don’t also fog up, consider yourself lucky.

It’s a cool car worth owning but Tesla certainly does their beta testing on their customers. Lol

It’s not a cool car, it’s a revolutionary electric car that happens to also be cool.

My M3 has 2k miles on it. I was concerned at first when I got either the "right door pillar camera blocked or blinded" or "multiple cameras blocked or blinded" while driving at night with no lights around me. After reading multiple threads about other people experiencing it i'm not worried anymore. It makes sense though, the camera can't see because the lack of light and it assumes it's blocked. It hasn't bothered autopilot at all, it works the same.

I also believe that if a car were to come to your side, since they have lights, your door pillar camera will start "working" again and avoid any potential collisions.

Last night was my first time really driving at night and got all of the same pillar camera alerts. Very dark roads with no street lights and low traffic. Weather was clear and 72°F and car was just cleaned so no dirt blocking.

Will try the scroll reboot today but I very rarely drive at night.

Have you paid attention enough to figure out what's triggering it?
During my phantom breaking events I've noticed the speed limit on the screen glitch out which I assume tricks the system to think it's over the limit. I'm guessing it is tied to the GPS system knowing where it is and the speed limit for the roads. I did notice driving on the highway the speed limit dipped to 30 mph and there was an access road along the highway with a sign. Not sure if the camera saw the sign or the GPS thought I was on that road for a second?

During my phantom breaking events I've noticed the speed limit on the screen glitch out which I assume tricks the system to think it's over the limit. I'm guessing it is tied to the GPS system knowing where it is and the speed limit for the roads. I did notice driving on the highway the speed limit dipped to 30 mph and there was an access road along the highway with a sign. Not sure if the camera saw the sign or the GPS thought I was on that road for a second?
Not sure where you are in NH, but I wonder if it's in the same spot on I-93N that it happens to me every day. It's right around the interchange with 102. I'm usually set on AP at 70+ and something causes the highway speed limit on the display to drop to 55mph causing a braking invent. That portion of the highway has 5 lanes (including 2 exit right) and I notice it doesn't happen if I remember to stay in the farthest left 2 lanes. I know this area was a big construction area for a while up until last year. So I figure maybe it's left over from a temporary Work Zone speed limit on the maps or something. But construction has been long gone. Interesting to see how long until it corrects itself or if it actually "learns" after enough Tesla's drive through.

I've worked all my life in film & tv production. All cameras have their limits. No camera can "see" in the near-total darkness of a rural road - unless it has a built-in infrared function. Similarly, all cameras have trouble when pointed towards the sun, especially fully automatic cameras. They get lens flare that obscures the image, and/or they can't compensate for the intensity of the light. I suppose Tesla could include an infrared component in all of the cameras, but at what cost? And if you've ever seen the ghostly green footage from night combat videos, then you know that even that sort of image lacks a certain clarity. The solution is to rely on your eyes more than the car's cameras.