Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2F201F5B-2354-4D82-BF9B-3A29D1F32F56.jpeg 55mph, cruise control, hard top, no AC, hitting projected 210 with 20 miles to go. Just hit power limiting as I backed into the next charging stop after 205 miles.

So the current estimate is normally lower, BUT one day after a nice 5500 ft descend on and ideal day my estimated range was showing 720 miles to go. Definitely off but the very long downhill through off the estimates based on my last 40 miles.
In a similar situation I got the estimated range up to 999 miles, but that is as high as it will go.

Reactions: dhrivnak
The last run saw an 1170m elevation, that brought the numbers closer together, finding the VDS more accurate especially after finding the trip reset button. I had 150 on the VDS to do a 125 mile run up the mountain and I got here with 30 left so I’m getting more confidence with each leg. Montana is super hilly so I’m keeping to short stops until South Dakota.

I sold my Roadster 2 years ago, and have not been reading the Roadster forums. I am glad I found this thread.

I was the original owner of Xlr8's car. I sold it to somebody who lived about 125 miles North of me, just across the border in Canada. He apparently (?) sold it to somebody about halfway between us. And now Xlr8 is taking it waaaaay far East to Toronto, where I may never see it again.

But fortunately for me...I saw Xlr8 on the first day of his trip! In another thread I wrote:

My wife and I were driving East on I-90 today, just before Ellensburg Washington. I saw a car ahead that I thought might be a Roadster...it was small and looked like Roadster taillights, but there was something wrong with the rear. As we got closer, I realized it was a dark Roadster with some sort of cargo pod. It still didn't dawn on me...until we got along side it and I saw the yellow. It was my old car!
What great luck to see it on its way out. Xlr8, I hope it brings you as much joy as it did me. Hey, I have a cousin in Toronto I'm hoping to visit once the Superchargers across Canada get finished, so maybe I will see it again.

Here is a little detail on the car's first road trip (3,500 miles from Seattle to San Diego and back in April 2010). I enjoyed parts of the trip and learned a lot; but I had several charging issues (some partly my fault; but several out of my control) and was mostly using campgrounds. After that, several of us owners installed 70A HPCs in WA, OR and Northern CA, so some time in 2011 we had the "Tesla Highway" that could take us from Canada to Mexico. I used that system to get to various points in California about 7 times.

Is that DebF's garage you are charging at in Idaho? Years ago I had a map of Roadster chargers, and she had offered to put hers on the list. I never used it and never met her or her husband...but I did see their car in my home town once, probably around 2010 or 2011. It just took two calls to find out who it was - there aren't a lot of yellow Roadsters around.

And, yikes. Scary stuff with the deer. I am glad all is well!

Here was the car in September 2016, after I'd given it a bath and it was waiting for its second owner:
14305494_10154439374670053_2994438489253955683_o.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Oricle and X.l.r.8
Full 4 hours sleep and full charge to 205 miles and long run downhill to deadwood. Other than scraping dead deer off the underside and sore elbows from resting things seem good. My trip miles go up quicker then my max range goes down 23-29 amps at 62 mph is the flat slight down hill sweet spot. 54 mph on any gradient is good for higher than projected miles which I could eek out to 230 miles but not needed for this trip. That 40 amp charger claws significant time at campsites. That’s a must have for long trips. The box on the back is empty and initially helped with all the spares and clipper creek HPWC, thanks Bonnie, it’s become redundant. Sleeping in the car is tolerable, the Jaz race seats in my race car are much worse.

That’s a great question! I wish I didn’t lol. I thought I was buying one of each. Turns out one had the Tesla adaptor in it. As per our discussion, while it does work (verified by a study of n=1) I decided to sell the spare one in as the car came with what appears to be an early Jr. I have a car full of Can’s right now

The more I get into traveling the more I see a significance between 240v and 207v
Campsites generally have a true 240v 50A service while a lot of j1772 ones are 204v 30A
If you have time it’s worth using these chargers as most journeys are not looking for max distance with Minimium charge time. But I am and when it comes to paying by the hour it becomes quite a difference.

• Informative
So I move been deliberately not looking at my temperatures because I didn’t want to think about it. But today I decided to investigate as driving for 3 hours at 55-60 mph gives you time to play. All 3 we’re in the 3rd blue bar for the entire journey, the battery drops back to the second bar occasionally and the motor stays constant. Seeing as a few animals have seen the underside of my car this week I’m going to lift it up when I get home to check nothing hit the fan. But I am for now going to assume all is doing well. Dropping into Illinois in a few hours, I’m still having a great time, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the attention the car brings but a lot of towns along the I-90 have loved seeing it. Everyone knows what it is, but never seen one in the wild before.

6946C983-2AAB-476F-8C42-294086ED6747.jpeg So I’m finally back in Toronto. The last 24 hours have been interesting. My road has been dug up so I could not get into my garage, and not enough left to get to another charger. That would be okay but at 1am I was trying to keep quiet. As I aproach the garage it doesn’t feel right, probably the lights on and the door open, followed by the smashed glass and distinct lack of tools. Turn around and my house has a matching glass window. Tired and upset I did what needed to be done and shoveled the dirt and rocks from my driveway, got the car charging and went to bed. Today saw me buying more tools fixing the windows, i decided to strip the rear wheels to locate the rattling that was driving me crazy. Threw the new rear brakes in there while was playing rattle was easy to find as it’s the rose jointed rear link. If anyone has the dimensions of this part I would be most grateful. Last picks to come