TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First trip - S100D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brkaus, Apr 22, 2017.

1. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Took first road trip yesterday.

Car worked great. Comfortable and lots of room for stuff.

Tire pressure set to 45 psi cold.

Starting charge at 100%. Said 345 rated miles. Excellent! Charged for 90 to 100 times to unplug right when we had to leave.

Drove 90 miles. Finish rated miles was 227. 118 rated miles used.

Trip consumption was constantly falling below prediction.

Ran speed limit +5 entire way. Mostly in TACC

Figured it was the speed. But evtripplanner says I should have used 86 rated miles. I put in 1.1 speed in evtripplanner. And I selected a P100D which should be worse?

See attached ev trip planner output.

What is realistic? I was hoping I could do this round trip with no charging. Including a bit of driving around for the weekend. Looks like at minimum I'm going to have to find a supercharger in the way home.

Attached Files:

2. McRat

McRat Active Member

5 mph will make a significant difference starting at about 55. As you go faster, that 5 mph makes a bigger and bigger difference.

The beauty of having a big battery is you can drive fast and still have enough range. Smaller batteries often have to worry about their speed.

3. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Please state what your speed was in MPH. Different roads have different speed limits and it makes a big difference.

In my 2012 if I set the cruise at 65 mph I can match or beat rated miles. Anything over 70 mph and I will get less than rated miles.

4. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Weather will also have a noticable impact - colder temps, rain, headwinds all increase energy usage and hurt range.

5. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

And if the speed limit is 65 and you go 55, you can go for a very long way, well beyond rated.

6. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

65-75. Never above 75.

Evtripplanner says 110rm at 1.5 speed.

I'll look at the legs later and see what it expects for average.

7. nagypite

nagypite Member

19" or 21" wheels?

8. Haxster

Haxster Member

And going 45 is even better!

Just be sure to either crack up the stereo or wear earplugs so you're not bothered by all the honking.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
  9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

19" wheels.

10. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

So, I guess my questions -

Can I use evtripplanner for realistic planning?

Is there something wrong with the car (I think it sounds louder than my friends s75d)?

Do I need to drive 45 :)

11. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I don't always find EVTripPlanner accurate. The one in the car seems far more realistic and adapts dynamically -- it's too bad tesla doesn't make that one available to use outside the car. EVTP used to feel better but lately I find it's always optimistic and sometimes plans nonsensical supercharger stops involving unnecessary backtracking.

I just did a 300 mile trip to Tahoe in a S100D, charged once for 10 minutes. The charging time was spot on, and I arrived with 20%, originally projected 19%, and I drove up to 80mph following traffic flow too.

In my S70D I've taken this trip many times and it involves 40 minutes of charging and carefully staying pinned down at the speed limit.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

Was there much traffic or elevation change within the trip (I saw net was only 62 ft) even if you were around the speed limit the entire time? I've found I can drive more efficiently than TACC on hills and in some traffic based on not needing to get to a certain speed at the earliest opportunity.

In addition, a recent 90 mile trip I took in my 60D was fairly flat and used somewhere in the same neighborhood of 118 rated miles. It turns out I was driving into a 20-30 mph headwind. What was your average wh/mi on the trip?

13. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Through the Texas "hill country". Quite a bit of up and down.

Abetterrouteplanner.com/beta shows using 34% of the battery. Which I believe is pretty close.

14. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

We've found our S 100D gets pretty close to the onboard Trip Planner's range prediction, much better than with our S P85.

When driving at typical highway speeds (posted speed limit plus 5), with our S P85, the consumed range would typically be 30% more than the distance (i.e., on a 100 mile trip, we would use 130 miles of rated range).

With our S 100D, it looks like we're getting closer to 20% (120 miles of rated range for 100 miles), and combined with the increased range with the 100 battery pack - the range difference between our S P85 and S 100D is considerable - closer to 100 miles of distance on a charge!

15. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

EVTP doesn't use speed limits on roads, it uses Google average speed data. Often this is way off from reality. For instance, on I-10 in West Texas, it uses 72 mph as the speed calculation, where the speed limit is 80.

16. tpham07

tpham07 Member

I did a sample trip on EVTP using a S75 and a S90D and for some reason it said the trip time on the 90D would be longer :| haha

17. commasign

commasign Active Member

Weather and age of tires. If it's cold outside and/or tires are new, energy consumption will increase and range will decrease.

• Like x 1
  18. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Thanks for all the data points!

I did easily make the trip to San Antonio, drive around there for two days, and made it back to the San Marcos supercharger. I think I could have made it home to Austin, but the onboard trip planner suggested to stop and I really wanted to try a supercharger!

AP2.0 did a good job on the highway and dealing with the stop and go interstate traffic. One minute 70mph, next minute 25mph. Rested my left arm on the door and fingers loose around the wheel. Asked me to hold wheel 2-3 times in 45 miles.

Overall good trip. And good learning experience.

• Like x 1
  19. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Btw - was supercharging at 112kW up to about 65%. Then it reduced to 107kW. Not sure if because of heat or SOC. Pretty impressive I thought.

I then unplugged to chase the family down so they didn't spend too much at the outlet mall.

AC system sounded like a jet for part of the charging and at least 5 minutes after.

20. doofenshmirtz

doofenshmirtz Member

ac seems to do that after a long drive followed immediately with supercharging. took me by surprise the first time. stopping the supercharging for a few minutes seemed to have a positive effect (the ac whine went away)