Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First trip - S100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Took first road trip yesterday.

Car worked great. Comfortable and lots of room for stuff.

Tire pressure set to 45 psi cold.

Starting charge at 100%. Said 345 rated miles. Excellent! Charged for 90 to 100 times to unplug right when we had to leave.

Drove 90 miles. Finish rated miles was 227. 118 rated miles used.

Trip consumption was constantly falling below prediction.

Ran speed limit +5 entire way. Mostly in TACC

Figured it was the speed. But evtripplanner says I should have used 86 rated miles. I put in 1.1 speed in evtripplanner. And I selected a P100D which should be worse?

See attached ev trip planner output.

What is realistic? I was hoping I could do this round trip with no charging. Including a bit of driving around for the weekend. Looks like at minimum I'm going to have to find a supercharger in the way home.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.PNG
    IMG_1244.PNG
    590.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1248.PNG
    IMG_1248.PNG
    598.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1254.PNG
    IMG_1254.PNG
    164.2 KB · Views: 84
5 mph will make a significant difference starting at about 55. As you go faster, that 5 mph makes a bigger and bigger difference.

The beauty of having a big battery is you can drive fast and still have enough range. Smaller batteries often have to worry about their speed.

Ran speed limit +5 entire way. Mostly in TACC
Please state what your speed was in MPH. Different roads have different speed limits and it makes a big difference.

In my 2012 if I set the cruise at 65 mph I can match or beat rated miles. Anything over 70 mph and I will get less than rated miles.

So, I guess my questions -

Can I use evtripplanner for realistic planning?

Is there something wrong with the car (I think it sounds louder than my friends s75d)?

Do I need to drive 45 :)
I don't always find EVTripPlanner accurate. The one in the car seems far more realistic and adapts dynamically -- it's too bad tesla doesn't make that one available to use outside the car. EVTP used to feel better but lately I find it's always optimistic and sometimes plans nonsensical supercharger stops involving unnecessary backtracking.

I just did a 300 mile trip to Tahoe in a S100D, charged once for 10 minutes. The charging time was spot on, and I arrived with 20%, originally projected 19%, and I drove up to 80mph following traffic flow too.

In my S70D I've taken this trip many times and it involves 40 minutes of charging and carefully staying pinned down at the speed limit.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and KJD
Was there much traffic or elevation change within the trip (I saw net was only 62 ft) even if you were around the speed limit the entire time? I've found I can drive more efficiently than TACC on hills and in some traffic based on not needing to get to a certain speed at the earliest opportunity.

In addition, a recent 90 mile trip I took in my 60D was fairly flat and used somewhere in the same neighborhood of 118 rated miles. It turns out I was driving into a 20-30 mph headwind. What was your average wh/mi on the trip?

Was there much traffic or elevation change within the trip (I saw net was only 62 ft) even if you were around the speed limit the entire time? I've found I can drive more efficiently than TACC on hills and in some traffic based on not needing to get to a certain speed at the earliest opportunity.

In addition, a recent 90 mile trip I took in my 60D was fairly flat and used somewhere in the same neighborhood of 118 rated miles. It turns out I was driving into a 20-30 mph headwind. What was your average wh/mi on the trip?
Through the Texas "hill country". Quite a bit of up and down.

Abetterrouteplanner.com/beta shows using 34% of the battery. Which I believe is pretty close.

We've found our S 100D gets pretty close to the onboard Trip Planner's range prediction, much better than with our S P85.

When driving at typical highway speeds (posted speed limit plus 5), with our S P85, the consumed range would typically be 30% more than the distance (i.e., on a 100 mile trip, we would use 130 miles of rated range).

With our S 100D, it looks like we're getting closer to 20% (120 miles of rated range for 100 miles), and combined with the increased range with the 100 battery pack - the range difference between our S P85 and S 100D is considerable - closer to 100 miles of distance on a charge!

Thanks for all the data points!

I did easily make the trip to San Antonio, drive around there for two days, and made it back to the San Marcos supercharger. I think I could have made it home to Austin, but the onboard trip planner suggested to stop and I really wanted to try a supercharger!

AP2.0 did a good job on the highway and dealing with the stop and go interstate traffic. One minute 70mph, next minute 25mph. Rested my left arm on the door and fingers loose around the wheel. Asked me to hold wheel 2-3 times in 45 miles.

Overall good trip. And good learning experience.

Reactions: ACExpress
Btw - was supercharging at 112kW up to about 65%. Then it reduced to 107kW. Not sure if because of heat or SOC. Pretty impressive I thought.

I then unplugged to chase the family down so they didn't spend too much at the outlet mall.

AC system sounded like a jet for part of the charging and at least 5 minutes after.

Btw - was supercharging at 112kW up to about 65%. Then it reduced to 107kW. Not sure if because of heat or SOC. Pretty impressive I thought.

I then unplugged to chase the family down so they didn't spend too much at the outlet mall.

AC system sounded like a jet for part of the charging and at least 5 minutes after.

ac seems to do that after a long drive followed immediately with supercharging. took me by surprise the first time. stopping the supercharging for a few minutes seemed to have a positive effect (the ac whine went away)