Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Try at Garage Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
Tried using Summon to front and reverse park my P100D in the garage and got mixed results:

Any tips?

P.S. Ignore my comment about the car recognizing the location of the key and needing to be outside the garage.

Summon is a just a gimmick. You have to line it up just right, watch it like a hawk (kind of like auto-pilot but more) since of course, you're responsible for any damage caused by or to the car (again, like auto-pilot). AP1 summon was promised to do a lot more (for example meet you at the curb 90 degree to your driveway, or Elon even implied anywhere on private property) but what you have in your video is pretty much it. The AP2 summon is now the one being promised summon anywhere on the property, but this time fine print states you may not get it within your lifetime.

Last edited:
I only use summon as a demo for a new audience and not for my own practical daily use because it's just way too much slower than manual drive. May be it will be better than human in future but not for now.

I only use summon as a demo for a new audience and not for my own practical daily use because it's just way too much slower than manual drive. May be it will be better than human in future but not for now.

I do that too. Although every once in a while after I park, I think "I wish I had parked a little more forward/backward in the spot and I use the summon then. Lol.

I use it daily. My garage is tight so it's hard to get in and out of the car with out hitting a wall with the doors. I painted lines on the floor so I know if I'm lined up, but I still watch it like a hawk.

I am the same way. I have a pretty tight garage which is annoying to get in and out of. I still watch it like a hawk. Earlier this evening, I had to stop it as it looked like it was going to give my wheel curb rash in my driveway. Never trust it, but use it and monitor it.

Im on AP1, I use it daily. It helps that the car is parking closest to the wall in my case. I also put a piece of granite down on the garage floor where I want it to stop, sinice it hates going over bumps. It is great pulling itself out of the garage, or parking.

My .02

Pssh! That's old school. :p

My garage opener has this laser beam add-on that is mounted to the ceiling and points down, when the red laser dot hits a certain spot on the dash, I know it's perfectly positioned. :D
We have the same now (the mount on the front wall ones) and will definitely need to use Summon when we have an X and a 3. Modern normal garages are not made for these cars. :D

Tried using Summon to front and reverse park my P100D in the garage and got mixed results:

Any tips?

P.S. Ignore my comment about the car recognizing the location of the key and needing to be outside the garage.
Wow, that was quite disappointing. I kept hoping it didn't lower your garage door on your car.... I'm pretty shocked to learn that this feature hasn't been perfected, as it's been out for quite some time.

I use mine daily; both for ingress and egress. Been doing this for well over a year and 40k miles. Works perfect every time: and I mean every time. It actually blows my mind how well it works. My friends will park outside my garage, partially blocking my car. I'll stand outside, hit summons from the phone, and watch it open the garage door and pull out, turning to the side to avoid the other car, then park next to the other car and close the garage door. Never ceases to amaze. Same for ingress. I'll back into the driveway, get out, and let it find it's way into the garage and close the garage door. My garage is packed, so it has to get it right.
I may have to eat my hat one day, but honestly, I have so much faith in it now, after so many times, that I just hit the button, get out, and walk away while it does it's thing.
I do wonder sometimes if my great success with it, as opposed to others frustrations, is because I back-in verses pull-in.

I do wonder sometimes if my great success with it, as opposed to others frustrations, is because I back-in verses pull-in.

As you can see in the video I tried backing it in too and had to try more than once to get it in. It may be due to the ridge in my garage floor, but it is <1", which is on the lower side for a garage floor in the US. Might see if I can install some kind of entry to bridge the garage floor height. Main reason I want to use this is my wife is not great at pulling in to the garage and would be good if the car just did it.

Here in the UK we can no longer use the key to summon - just the app with the deadman touch feature. I've found the app won't work unless the key is close enough to the car to auto-unlock. Also summon stops when the the car gets to the dip caused by the gutter just outside the garage door.

Last edited:
My garage opener has this laser beam add-on that is mounted to the ceiling and points down, when the red laser dot hits a certain spot on the dash, I know it's perfectly positioned. :D[/QUOTE]

Old School string from the ceiling and a tennis ball attached has worked for years. :D

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
As you can see in the video I tried backing it in too and had to try more than once to get it in. It may be due to the ridge in my garage floor, but it is <1", which is on the lower side for a garage floor in the US. Might see if I can install some kind of entry to bridge the garage floor height. Main reason I want to use this is my wife is not great at pulling in to the garage and would be good if the car just did it.
Sorry @NewTMSMan , I wasn't meaning you specifically, just in general with others, I've found that it tends to work better getting in and out of the garage being backed in.
The ridge definitely looks like it's stopping it in the video, which surprises me that a second try at it works then. I did have to bridge my ridge, but it's gotten to be quite high, so I used a 2x4 against the cement, and then a slanted parking stop in front of that. It climbs it well. Let me know if you want a pic of my janky setup.
The slope of a driveway enters into play also, however your driveway doesn't seem to have much of a slope.
Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to bring this up with your SC. Take a picture of the ridge with a tape measure to show the height. I've heard of them sending out techs to see it in person to decide if there is an issue.