Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Try at Garage Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, watching the video again closely, in light of the more detailed info from your photo, it is clear that at 2:31 (going forward) and 3:51 (going backward) it is getting hung up on the ledge. The fact that it continues from this point when you try again is consistent with the theory that the car is willing to "push" harder to get started than to continue once moving. I don't know how much you're willing to do to try to address this, but the next thing I would try would be putting a 1-2' long piece of 1/4" plywood over that entry ledge (probably right up to the edge of the floor mat) to make a more gradual ramp. If that enables the car to pass without stopping then you know that some sort of ramp there (there are a variety of ways to do that "for real") will solve at least that part of things.

As for the stopping for obstacle avoidance, which it seems to do prior to stopping due to the ledge, it would be useful to see little video of what the proximity sensor displays on the dash are doing when this happens. I assume you've tried different spacing settings?

I might give a transition a try if I want to use this feature a lot, will see.

Regarding settings, the distance setting is for front / rear distance only, not side distance. Side distance is set to Normal or Tight in Advanced settings. At least that is my understanding of how the settings work.

Can you elaborate on the circumstances under which this happens? This is so at variance with my experience that I find it hard to picture.

Sure, basically I park the car directly in-front of garage opening and about 5 feet away so I can get out easily. Then I activate summon via the keyfob. For no apparent reason sometimes it will veer left or right and try to scrape itself against the side opening of the garage door. Often it can work successfully, but a 10-20% failure rate is waaay to high.

I have no unsualy obstructions, bumps, etc. that should cause this. It simply isn't "smart" or "accurate" enough to be trusted. I keep my finger on the remote and am ready to tap the door handle ASAP in case of a problem.

Tesla should take all responsibility for damage caused by this to the car or property - otherwise what's the point? Much easier and faster to just park it myself. I'm shocked that my brain is so much more powerful than 8 cameras and Nvidia Drive PX 2 computer, who would have thought?

Do any of you mind posting your garage width dimension? This is one of the biggest obstacles I have in purchasing a Tesla right now. My garage door width is 92"...and it stays that way all the way into the garage. Hence, there's no option for me to drive in and open a door to get out once I'm in the garage. And I certainly don't want to leave a $100,000 luxury car parked outside every night. Thus, I'll need summon to be dependable...will it even work with these dimensions? Can I rely on the side view mirrors folding in every time? Anyone else have garage dimensions like mine?
Thanks.

...garage door width is 92"...

The garage door's width is almost 7 feet 9 inches or 93" or if you want to round down then it's slightly over 92". Either side of this garage is about 2 inches of clearance with mirrors fully extended. If you don't mind wasting time at my clumsy video.

...Can I rely on the side view mirrors folding in every time?...

You can see that I am very clumsy at technology but every show that I demonstrated to friends and neighbors, sure it has reliably closed its side mirrors without fail.

However, in reality, I just manually back in my garage which is much faster but it requires me to remember to manually close the side mirrors to reduce a chance of scraping.

Sure, basically I park the car directly in-front of garage opening and about 5 feet away so I can get out easily. Then I activate summon via the keyfob. For no apparent reason sometimes it will veer left or right and try to scrape itself against the side opening of the garage door. Often it can work successfully, but a 10-20% failure rate is waaay to high.

I have no unsualy obstructions, bumps, etc. that should cause this. It simply isn't "smart" or "accurate" enough to be trusted. I keep my finger on the remote and am ready to tap the door handle ASAP in case of a problem.

Tesla should take all responsibility for damage caused by this to the car or property - otherwise what's the point? Much easier and faster to just park it myself. I'm shocked that my brain is so much more powerful than 8 cameras and Nvidia Drive PX 2 computer, who would have thought?
Oh, this is AP2? Mine is AP1, so I really can't compare. It is sad that AP2 isn't even at part with AP1, which doesn't suck, imho.

The garage door's width is almost 7 feet 9 inches or 93" or if you want to round down then it's slightly over 92". Either side of this garage is about 2 inches of clearance with mirrors fully extended. If you don't mind wasting time at my clumsy video.

You can see that I am very clumsy at technology but every show that I demonstrated to friends and neighbors, sure it has reliably closed its side mirrors without fail.

However, in reality, I just manually back in my garage which is much faster but it requires me to remember to manually close the side mirrors to reduce a chance of scraping.

Thank you Tam...video is certainly reassuring! Fingers are crossed that it will be that smooth for me.

I'm pretty sure the complaints would be louder had Tesla erred on the more aggressive side and cars were routinely scraping the sides of garage entrances. As for the stopping-at-small-bumps problem, that seems like something that could be solved with training: at a certain "learned" distance into a Summon move the car would be willing to exert more than the normal amount of force; this would require you always start your summon from a fixed distance from the bump, but that's probably an acceptable price to pay to not run over your dog by accident.