Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First two week and first ~1000 miles in a new 2023 M3LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first Tesla, prior to this car I was driving a much loved Subaru Impreza 2.5i that I bought new in 2007. However, it was getting older and I was increasingly having a difficult time justifying burning fossil fuels. So like many of you I put my wallet where my conscious was and took the plunge. I had initially decided to wait until March to see how things played out with the tax rebates and updates but when the 7500$ discount was announced I took a peak and saw a new M3 sitting just 150 miles away in Portland and I couldn’t resist.

When I went into research mode back in September I was looking for a 4 door sedan, the crossovers and smaller SUV’s are interesting but didn’t feel like the right fit for me. I of course looked the ID.4, the Polestar, the Ioniq 5/6, Bolt, and Volvo’s offerings but the M3 appeared to be the best fit. It is efficient, a good size for me, and capable of road trips thanks to the supercharger network which was a major draw.

To summarize I’ve had a very positive experience so far and the car is amazing. For those who are interested here are some my experiences in purchasing the car and living with it.

Purchase and Pickup Experience:

Despite a few hiccups this was fairly easy, I requested some info about a listed M3LR on the Tesla website and a representative gave me a call back and answered my questions. I clicked the order button and gave my local CU a call to get get things going. The only issue I had was my bank asking for a signed “Purchase Agreement” while the only thing Tesla had provided was an “Order Agreement”. After calling the Tesla sales rep back, who was very patient and talked with my loan officer over speaker phone, it was discovered that this was due to my trade in amount not being approved yet. The sales rep poked that department and got everything cleared up within the day.

As the car was in Portland and I live in Seattle I had to drive down to pick the car up. My CU had provided me a check made out to Tesla and with that in hand I headed down in my old car. The trip down was a bit of a slog, it was cold and rainy but that was offset by the giddiness I felt every time I noticed a Tesla on the road. Getting into Portland I hit a lot of traffic, there had been cars pulled off to the side the whole way down but this last bit of traffic was due to a MY with its hazards on stopped in the far left lane. This time I felt something other than giddiness, but I kept reminding myself that it wasn’t the only car I had seen broken down on the trip and I had no idea what had gone wrong for them.

On arrival, in the pouring rain, I was greeted inside and directed to the sales associate handling my delivery. Paperwork was signed and we went out to inspect the cars, me the new one and them my trade in. The associate had pre-warmed the new car for me and it was beautiful. I did a quick inspection inside and out which concluded in my accepting the car which seemed to be an excellent Fremont build. I found it interesting that on accepting the car the cars computer reboots and then knows you as its driver, neat! The car had 59% charge on it and as I had a long drive ahead I asked if I could charge a bit. The sales associate immediately put the car on a supercharger and said I could charge as long as I’d like for free. After reading some horror stories here I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the experience was. As soon as I drove the car for the first time my apprehension due to seeing the broken down MY was forgotten.

IMG_4260.png

The Car:

I've enjoyed every moment of driving this car. Not to say the car doesn’t have some minor faults, but it has lived up to expectations and has often beaten them. On my drive home I stopped at my first super charger, it was cold and rainy which of course impacts the cars range, and I’m still getting used to trusting the cars range estimates. I also don’t have charging at home for a few more weeks and wanted to make sure I arrived with plenty of charge. This was an easy experience, the only moment of panic was realizing I had to back the car into a spot near other nice cars for the first time! I survived.

I’ve taken the car on several 100-200 mile day trips now and it is a fantastic car to just drive. The heated steering wheel is now one of my favorite things. I haven’t played with the autopilot features much yet as I want to get used to the car first. Most of the auto features seem to work really well*, I’ve had a good experience with the auto climate system, the auto headlights and a mixed relationship with the auto wipers. I’m in Seattle, and its currently the rainy season, and sometimes the auto wipers are brilliant and respond just as I am thinking about hitting the wiper button. However they do seem to struggle when its not directly raining and the roads are just wet. The spray from the cars in front does not always seem to be detected by the system to be a problem. I would LOVE a ‘Scroll’ mode for the wipers where one of the steering wheel wheels becomes an analog adjuster for the wipers, I would gladly give up volume adjustment while in this mode.

One thing I didn’t anticipate was how comfortable an electric car would be to just sit in and wait or hang out in. I never liked to leave my car engine on when not driving so the inside would quickly become cold and uncomfortable while in an EV the seats stay warm and air circulates, music and theater mode are available with little energy usage. It’s just pleasant. I’ve taken the car on some ferry rides, and especially if you get a spot on the ferry near the sides where you can see out, its a great place to spend time.

The last thing I’ll mention is that I hit a pothole the other day, it was raining hard, dark, and the pothole was filled in with water so I didn’t notice it, my mistake. I was maybe going 15-20mph and my partner and I just heard and felt a large thump**. A moment later the car let me know in no uncertain terms it was unhappy. I immediately pulled over and noticed my front passenger tire was completely flat. I attempted to use an electric tire pump I keep with me but to no avail. It was time to try out Tesla’s roadside assistance! After reading the forums here I wasn’t expecting much, however I was pleasantly surprised. After requesting help via the app someone was there within 30min putting on a loaner tire. That was it. No toeing, no crappy doughnut, they just threw on a loaner tire and told me which Tesla service center they were going to drop it off at for repair or replacement. I’m sure it won’t be to cheap to repair or replace but both my partner and I were pleasantly surprised at how fast they got us back on the road.

Thanks for reading, and a big thank you to all the folks at Tesla for building a great car!
IMG_4266.png

* Quick note for any new Tesla owner out there: When setting preferences I learned the hard way that I need to be in my own profile and not the Easy Entry profile, something to watch out for if you find your settings are not saving.

** The car came with the 19in wheels which I have heard are more prone to problems with potholes, I’ll probably look at getting the winter tire kit next season with the 18’s.

Attachments

• IMG_4260.png
    IMG_4260.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_4266.png
    IMG_4266.png
    180 KB · Views: 283
This is my first Tesla, prior to this car I was driving a much loved Subaru Impreza 2.5i that I bought new in 2007. However, it was getting older and I was increasingly having a difficult time justifying burning fossil fuels. So like many of you I put my wallet where my conscious was and took the plunge. I had initially decided to wait until March to see how things played out with the tax rebates and updates but when the 7500$ discount was announced I took a peak and saw a new M3 sitting just 150 miles away in Portland and I couldn’t resist.

When I went into research mode back in September I was looking for a 4 door sedan, the crossovers and smaller SUV’s are interesting but didn’t feel like the right fit for me. I of course looked the ID.4, the Polestar, the Ioniq 5/6, Bolt, and Volvo’s offerings but the M3 appeared to be the best fit. It is efficient, a good size for me, and capable of road trips thanks to the supercharger network which was a major draw.

To summarize I’ve had a very positive experience so far and the car is amazing. For those who are interested here are some my experiences in purchasing the car and living with it.

Despite a few hiccups this was fairly easy, I requested some info about a listed M3LR on the Tesla website and a representative gave me a call back and answered my questions. I clicked the order button and gave my local CU a call to get get things going. The only issue I had was my bank asking for a signed “Purchase Agreement” while the only thing Tesla had provided was an “Order Agreement”. After calling the Tesla sales rep back, who was very patient and talked with my loan officer over speaker phone, it was discovered that this was due to my trade in amount not being approved yet. The sales rep poked that department and got everything cleared up within the day.

As the car was in Portland and I live in Seattle I had to drive down to pick the car up. My CU had provided me a check made out to Tesla and with that in hand I headed down in my old car. The trip down was a bit of a slog, it was cold and rainy but that was offset by the giddiness I felt every time I noticed a Tesla on the road. Getting into Portland I hit a lot of traffic, there had been cars pulled off to the side the whole way down but this last bit of traffic was due to a MY with its hazards on stopped in the far left lane. This time I felt something other than giddiness, but I kept reminding myself that it wasn’t the only car I had seen broken down on the trip and I had no idea what had gone wrong for them.

On arrival, in the pouring rain, I was greeted inside and directed to the sales associate handling my delivery. Paperwork was signed and we went out to inspect the cars, me the new one and them my trade in. The associate had pre-warmed the new car for me and it was beautiful. I did a quick inspection inside and out which concluded in my accepting the car which seemed to be an excellent Fremont build. I found it interesting that on accepting the car the cars computer reboots and then knows you as its driver, neat! The car had 59% charge on it and as I had a long drive ahead I asked if I could charge a bit. The sales associate immediately put the car on a supercharger and said I could charge as long as I’d like for free. After reading some horror stories here I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the experience was. As soon as I drove the car for the first time my apprehension due to seeing the broken down MY was forgotten.

View attachment 894319

The Car:

I've enjoyed every moment of driving this car. Not to say the car doesn’t have some minor faults, but it has lived up to expectations and has often beaten them. On my drive home I stopped at my first super charger, it was cold and rainy which of course impacts the cars range, and I’m still getting used to trusting the cars range estimates. I also don’t have charging at home for a few more weeks and wanted to make sure I arrived with plenty of charge. This was an easy experience, the only moment of panic was realizing I had to back the car into a spot near other nice cars for the first time! I survived.

I’ve taken the car on several 100-200 mile day trips now and it is a fantastic car to just drive. The heated steering wheel is now one of my favorite things. I haven’t played with the autopilot features much yet as I want to get used to the car first. Most of the auto features seem to work really well*, I’ve had a good experience with the auto climate system, the auto headlights and a mixed relationship with the auto wipers. I’m in Seattle, and its currently the rainy season, and sometimes the auto wipers are brilliant and respond just as I am thinking about hitting the wiper button. However they do seem to struggle when its not directly raining and the roads are just wet. The spray from the cars in front does not always seem to be detected by the system to be a problem. I would LOVE a ‘Scroll’ mode for the wipers where one of the steering wheel wheels becomes an analog adjuster for the wipers, I would gladly give up volume adjustment while in this mode.

One thing I didn’t anticipate was how comfortable an electric car would be to just sit in and wait or hang out in. I never liked to leave my car engine on when not driving so the inside would quickly become cold and uncomfortable while in an EV the seats stay warm and air circulates, music and theater mode are available with little energy usage. It’s just pleasant. I’ve taken the car on some ferry rides, and especially if you get a spot on the ferry near the sides where you can see out, its a great place to spend time.

The last thing I’ll mention is that I hit a pothole the other day, it was raining hard, dark, and the pothole was filled in with water so I didn’t notice it, my mistake. I was maybe going 15-20mph and my partner and I just heard and felt a large thump**. A moment later the car let me know in no uncertain terms it was unhappy. I immediately pulled over and noticed my front passenger tire was completely flat. I attempted to use an electric tire pump I keep with me but to no avail. It was time to try out Tesla’s roadside assistance! After reading the forums here I wasn’t expecting much, however I was pleasantly surprised. After requesting help via the app someone was there within 30min putting on a loaner tire. That was it. No toeing, no crappy doughnut, they just threw on a loaner tire and told me which Tesla service center they were going to drop it off at for repair or replacement. I’m sure it won’t be to cheap to repair or replace but both my partner and I were pleasantly surprised at how fast they got us back on the road.

Thanks for reading, and a big thank you to all the folks at Tesla for building a great car!View attachment 894320

* Quick note for any new Tesla owner out there: When setting preferences I learned the hard way that I need to be in my own profile and not the Easy Entry profile, something to watch out for if you find your settings are not saving.

** The car came with the 19in wheels which I have heard are more prone to problems with potholes, I’ll probably look at getting the winter tire kit next season with the 18’s.
Thanks for the write up. I picked up my vehicle (same as you but in Pearl White) from Fremont in early November 2022, prior to all the price cuts.🥲 The car was delivered with several cosmetic issues which had me really annoyed, and I am yet to decide whether I want to take into the service center and risk other issues due to poor repairs. In any case, I am loving the vehicle and am very happy with the purchase. I wish you the best.

Reactions: 2022S-LR

View attachment 894319

The Car:

Thanks for reading, and a big thank you to all the folks at Tesla for building a great car!View attachment 894320

You are a unicorn.....;)

Congratulations. I took delivery of a white one with the 19s as well last week in Lynnwood. Almost got one from Portland in the same color as you, but wife preferred the white.

Good to know you had a good experience with the flat tire. I am waiting for the tire repair kit to be back in stock.

Good write up. You'll get more comfortable with time and range anxiety with the supercharging network is really a myth. Range anxiety with CCS networks with inferior uptime would not be on my current bucket list (that will change with time). Enjoy the new ride.

All low profile tires when meeting a nice size pothole will do some damage. My previous vehicle with 19" rims and 35 profile tires ripped the sidewall in two when hitting a huge pothole. Lucky the stock rim survived - with a new $300 tire installed.

BTW - Discount tire or America's Tires (think that is what its called on the West coast) you can buy tire certifications for $50ish a tire. You can get them on your new Tesla within Comes in handy for the non-repairable blowouts, nails/screws that can't be fixed and etc. Plus - they will rotate your tires for free. From their site "In most instances you can purchase the Certificates for Repair, Refund or Replacement. I recommend reaching out to your local Discount Tire store and any one of the team members will be happy to look into eligibility and pricing."

View attachment 894319

The Car:

Thanks for taking the time to write this - glad it’s gone so well for you so far! Ordering a MYLR this week after about two years of thinking about it 😂

Reactions: PrisC and 2022S-LR

View attachment 894319

The Car:

Loved your report. I’m more excited now about picking up my M3 (est 1/28-2/4).

Reactions: Mario Veras
Thanks for the review and congratulations on your new M3. I’m also new to Teslas but I bought a used 2021 M3 LR AWD. I did not know you could buy a new M3 LR AWD in the US since the option is grayed out in the Tesla website. That’s why I bought a used M3 LR and not a new one. But I’m glad you were able to get one. Enjoy!

Good write up. You'll get more comfortable with time and range anxiety with the supercharging network is really a myth. Range anxiety with CCS networks with inferior uptime would not be on my current bucket list (that will change with time). Enjoy the new ride.

All low profile tires when meeting a nice size pothole will do some damage. My previous vehicle with 19" rims and 35 profile tires ripped the sidewall in two when hitting a huge pothole. Lucky the stock rim survived - with a new $300 tire installed.

BTW - Discount tire or America's Tires (think that is what its called on the West coast) you can buy tire certifications for $50ish a tire. You can get them on your new Tesla within Comes in handy for the non-repairable blowouts, nails/screws that can't be fixed and etc. Plus - they will rotate your tires for free. From their site "In most instances you can purchase the Certificates for Repair, Refund or Replacement. I recommend reaching out to your local Discount Tire store and any one of the team members will be happy to look into eligibility and pricing."
That is very useful information, thank you!

Thanks for the review and congratulations on your new M3. I’m also new to Teslas but I bought a used 2021 M3 LR AWD. I did not know you could buy a new M3 LR AWD in the US since the option is grayed out in the Tesla website. That’s why I bought a used M3 LR and not a new one. But I’m glad you were able to get one. Enjoy!
I lucked out! There was a LR available in the ”current inventory” at the time. I‘m guessing someone had ordered it and cancelled waiting to see about the tax credit. Given everything that has happened this week they were probably smarter than me!😅

Reactions: Mario Veras

View attachment 894319

The Car:

Echo many of your feelings. I too have a m3awd and hv put on 11.5k miles in 7 months. So far, so good. Got used to what the car actually does v what I expected it to do. It lost some battery range and now is at 340 miles v 355 miles. Love all the “auto” stuff too - have everything set at auto and also have the chill mode on - which makes it a easier drive on auto pilot on the freeway. Agree that the auto wipers need some work - but works in most cases. The green light bing does some false positives - but I can deal with that. Since I charge to 80% for daily drives, I get around 270 (v 284 original) estimated miles and actual miles around 250 miles (92% efficiency). So that’s 100 miles less than what I initially thought i would get. Because I live in an apartment building, charging has been an issue on and off, but I hv managed. Driven on a bunch of road trips from Irvine to San Fransisco, SanDiego, Las Vegas (3 times), Grand Canyon south rim etc and all the trips were incident free. Had my tires rotated 1 time. Overall mostly positive experience and love the very good handling of the car.

Reactions: PrisC