Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First unnecessary massive tantrum (emergency brake) from M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I have had a fair few phantom brakes of varying degrees of strength and quite a fair few unnecessary shrieking collision warnings but first time I’ve had an unnecessary emergency brake applied by car.

Was very slowly approaching a gormless white (actually silver) van man who had his door open restricting the passage for vehicles to pass. I was about a couple of meters away from the car door almost coming to a halt when the car threw a massive wobbly and applied the emergency brakes with some force. The white van man gave me a dirty look as he closed his door and the M3 tantrum gave me a little fright too.

Much room for improvement with all this fancy auto collision detection/warning/avoidance stuff.

I'm guessing that wasn't the emergency breaking, but the new one pedal driving function.

Did the alarms go off?

This was defo was an emergency brake as the car was brought to a violent halt. I think there was a warning shriek. One pedal slowdown is much gentler and gradual. Phantom breaking generally slows the car down (rather than bringing to a halt) with varying degrees of force and not really experienced the phantom at really low speeds.

Hed it emergency brake twice for me. Both times when I tried to regen to hold and it deemed I would not stop in time before hitting the car in front. Both times I would have stopped by using the brakes a bit gentler.

One time it didn't brake but gave alarms when giving way and ducking in a gap in parked cars and not stopping.

Really not sure how much improvement can be had without a lot more image processing and computing within the second the situation arises.