Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First v3 Supercharge - why so slow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HuftonR

Oct 3, 2020
UK
Picked up my Model 3 SR+ from the Leeds SC after getting some bits n pieces sorted (sodden boot floor anybody!).

Anyway thought I'd grab a splash and dash of electrons before setting off home. Plugged in with about 50% battery into their shiny new v3 superchargers and got a massive 32kW speed. Thought these units were capable of 250kW?

Not an issue (didn't need much charge) but surprised/disappointed by this. Tried an Ionity charger ar similar charge levels a few weeks ago and was getting 75kW.

Maybe because the battery was cold, been stood overnight?

SR+ will only ever get 170kw, if you want the full 250kw you need a LR or P

2nd ever SC charge today with our SR+ at Exeter Darts farm. When we arrived there were only 3 cars there. Ours pre-conditioned at 26% and initially ramped up to 153kw but as other cars arrived, dropped to 23kw ( when all stalls were occupied) - took us 40 mins overall to get from 26% to 90% so ok but not staggering.

2nd ever SC charge today with our SR+ at Exeter Darts farm. When we arrived there were only 3 cars there. Ours pre-conditioned at 26% and initially ramped up to 153kw but as other cars arrived, dropped to 23kw ( when all stalls were occupied) - took us 40 mins overall to get from 26% to 90% so ok but not staggering.

Pushing up to 90% is always painful - and usually not worth the time unless you have special circumstances.

It’s generally better to charge just enough to get to your next destination (with a reserve,) because charging slows down so much at the top.

Reactions: bhav
Pushing up to 90% is always painful - and usually not worth the time unless you have special circumstances.

It’s generally better to charge just enough to get to your next destination (with a reserve,) because charging slows down so much at the top.
Totally agree. In my view/experience it's not worth treating chargers along routes like petrol stations where you top up to full. More costly and time-consuming.

You're better of just making sure you're going to get back home with 10-20% and plug in there.

Reactions: NorfolkMustard
Don’t beat yourself up. You probably couldn’t have charged much quicker.

The old charge curves are here:
Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update
These are pre- V3 and for the SR+ it’s now software unlocked to 170kW (from 100kW Nov/Dec 2019). Wish ABRP would publish new ones. SR+ is probably the old SR+ curve but starting higher. It is a steep taper due to the battery size.

Unfortunately the old graph does show about 30kW at 90%.

[EDIT: Twitter]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SimonT
I assume you know about pairing on V2 superchargers? The power supplies are shared between a pair of chargers labelled a & b. Never share a pair if you can avoid it. Does not sound like you had much choice though this time.

I have to admit to one occasion when I would have run a bit late for car to finish (but not too late to incur idle fee, nor busy not that I would have known that from the McD at Fleet :oops:) that I upped the charge limit by a few % just so that when I got back to the car it would still have been charging.

Does being half way through a burger and trying to avoid idle charges count?

That's one of the exceptions to the "generally." On a trip, if you're busy with something you want to finish at that stop and the car can be charging, the car should be charging.

I had actually started to write a line about finishing dinner in the prior post, but decided that adding all the caveats wouldn't help.

I assume you know about pairing on V2 superchargers? The power supplies are shared between a pair of chargers labelled a & b. Never share a pair if you can avoid it. Does not sound like you had much choice though this time.

Yep, aware of this and so picked a charging point at the end away from any car (well until all the stalls filled up). Started off exceptionally but by the time we got to 50%, and all the stalls filled up, it was down at 23kw and stayed that way until charging was complete.

I had a similar problem yesterday with my M3P.

After setting off from east London at 40% SoC I remembered I was passing Park Royal and the V3 chargers. I started pre-conditioning, but it only had 5 mins before I arrived. At 40% SoC and without warm batteries I was not going to get full speed charging. On the other hand I had full regen, so I didn't expect temperature to be much of an issue. I plugged in expecting say 150-175kw. I got 50kw.

I waited a few minutes, but that was it, so I moved to another charger, just in case. Same thing - 50kw.

With enough charge to get home I gave up and left somewhat disappointed.

Yes, from my own testing with an SR+ with ideal conditions you will only charge faster than the "normal" 120kw between 10 and 35%
By about 40% you're down to 100kw. You hit the base public rapid charge rate of 50KW at around 73%
So there's not a huge advantage from V3 with an SR+ but any super charger is still a lot faster than most of the public 50kw unless the stalls are congested.

Reactions: Adopado