TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First visit to service center (Sunnyvale)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by timvracer, Jul 10, 2018.

1. timvracer

timvracer Member

Well, I finally did it, I took my car to a service center in Sunnyvale for annual service, some minor fixing, and the 100d uncorking. So far, my report is not good:

Impressions:

- I expected a nicer shop, looks like a stereotypical mechanic shop, not like a high end car center
    - I was led into a waiting area and told "your service advisor will be with you shortly", 15 minutes later, sitting there feeling stupid while much activity was going on in the office, I asked someone at one of the desks what I was supposed to do. Turns out my service advisor was supposed to have met me as soon as I came in, but he was "out somewhere". He finally showed up
    - Service advisor was not impressive and came across sales-ey and evasive
    - Service area did not look very clean, and it appears any car left there overnight (mine) will be stored outside

Experience:
    Not good.
    The advisor did not come across to have much command of the domain. I felt from the very get go that it was all about just getting me out of there, and finding reasons to NOT do things. For example, my car no longer responds to pushing the button on the charger plugin. He checked it out (he thought it was my charger), but it didn't work there either. However, they were able to make it work by holding the charger up near the top of the rear pillar (where the radio antennae is). He says "I can research fixing this, but then I'd need your car for at least a week". Maybe that's true, but he said it with a clear tone of "don't ask us to fix this". I caved, and said I'd try it at home and see if it works well enough... but it kinda miffs me that the thing just doesn't work right, and it's on me to work around it.

Next, the 100d uncorking... I was one of those that initially was told I was ineligible by a service center, but then escalated to tesla support, where it was confirmed I was indeed eligible. Well, back to square one, he told me I was ineligible. I told him my story, and even showed him my post on these forums where I copied the email I got from Tesla Support saying I was eligible, he said he'd "research it" and to give him 5 minutes. He came back with the same answer. I asked if he contacted corporate, and he just reiterated they had not received a bulletin for my car.

Next, the 1 year service. I asked to see a list of what I am getting for $550. He showed me the mechanics checklist, with all the inspection items, and then condescendingly said "I know this all looks complicated". I said, no, not only is it not complicated, I am not sure where the work is given it is just a bunch of inspection items. The only real material work is changing the batteries in my keyFobs, and the 4 wheel alignment. That last one is a significant thing, so while I still think $550 is quite a bit for what is listed, I also didn't make any fuss... but was put off again by his attempt to scroll through a bunch of stuff and tell me "It's complicated". grrr.. I worked on cars for years, built my own race car... of course I didn't actually say that.

Conclusion:
    I will tell you when I get the car, but my gut tells me I am going to find something wrong with the car. I put 2 different post-it notes "DO NOT WASH CAR", but given the general attitude I saw there, and the state of the place, I have no confidence. This place did not show Tesla the way I envision Tesla (which I experienced at Fremont).

• Informative x 2
  2. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

550 buys a lot of gas!

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  3. rlk281

rlk281 New Member

Yeah, not to add to the chaos, but perhaps will be picked up by Elon's own personal web-crawler, my ranger experience wasn't all that either. :(

When I tried to probe the lead about my genuine interest of any neural network data my car my be generating when EAP is on, the dude tried to reassure me, instead, that any titty-bars I visited were not of interest to Tesla. Bah! I knew then and there that my ranger was a putz. The work they did (replace my defective charge port) seems solid, however! :)

4. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

I suddenly feel the urge to post in the Ford trucks enthusiast forum and tell all the rednecks how far I can go on $550 of electricity...

• Funny x 1
  5. nexusone

nexusone Member

Tesla is a *sugar* show. It's a good thing they have the best electric powertrain and charging network. Everything else is laughable.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  6. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

It's laughable alright. Everytime I get in it and drive it I laugh due to the sheer enjoyment. I laugh when I out-accelerate a Corvette. I laugh when some other sports car is right on my ass on a freeway exit ramp and I see him disappear in the rear view mirror. It is the most fun I have had since I roadraced my motorcycle.

• Like x 3
  7. Barklikeadog

Oh no. Don't do that. Too outrageous and shocking. You can't come back when you cross that line.

8. Barklikeadog

Do you wave at them when you are waiting at a charger and they cruise on by?
    Just sayin :oops:

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  9. paixim

paixim Member

does your service advisor have the initial DM by any chance? I have had very similar experience at Sunnyvale service center.

10. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

I laugh at them when I see them waiting at a gas station on their way to work/whatever and I cruise on by. Just sayin :D

• Like x 2
  11. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

I recommend that you convey your experience to the regional manager for sales and service. Ask for your service manager to give you their contact information. What you describe is unacceptable. Service here in Scottsdale, AZ is impeccable. Shout out to Izad, the manager in Scottsdale. Top notch.

12. timvracer

timvracer Member

YES! I intend to talk with the manager, and unless I get a very satisfying response, I will try another service center in the future.

BTW.. I texted him (as he suggested) as I forgot one item for them to repair (small crack in windshield), although I had told him about it on the phone at one point. In any case, I never heard back from him any acknowledgment.

I also reached out to Tesla Service for info on the uncorking, and have not heard back from them yet.

13. timvracer

timvracer Member

I have smoked more Vette's, Stang's, etc. (and a Lotus Elan) than times I have ever had to "wait at a charger".
    So I'm good. Cya when you catch up....

Oh... and you can use that gas guzzling behemoth truck of yours to pick up all the spare parts you will need to repair all the moving parts in those ICE machines.

• Like x 1
  14. Barklikeadog

Like what? Ive had to visit service for 1 problem over the last... uhhh 20 years? Alternator/battery went. I was back on the road the same day. How many moving parts
    are in the Model X, one of the least reliable cars on the road? I want a Tesla truck, but if it is in the shop for weeks at a time waiting for parts, I'm pulling chute.

• Disagree x 1
  15. timvracer

timvracer Member

Brakes, Rotors, Oil Filters, Oil, Antifreeze.. .and yeah, alternators/batteries. Spark plugs, blah blah blah
    Been there, done that... have fun with that.

And don't forget to wear your chute. Oh, feel free to call if you need a ride.

• Like x 1
  16. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Tesla service is redundant and isn't really necessary. no point in subjecting yourself to an unnecessary experience.

• Funny x 2
  17. Barklikeadog

#17 Barklikeadog, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Did I mention 1 problem in the previous 2 decades?

• Disagree x 1
  18. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

You've never done an oil change in the last 2 decades? Or changed your brakes?

19. Barklikeadog

I do regular maintenance like everyone else. These are expected with any vehicle. Oil change/rotation/fluids etc is every 6 months and in and out in less than an hour. State
    inspection adds an hour to one of those. Recalls are taken care of during oil changes. brake and tire changes, in and out same day.

I'm talking about -problems- over the last 20 years. and I have to correct an error, I had to pay $125 for a part due to 4X4 not engaging properly a decade ago. back around 1995 I paid $175
    for a wheel bearing replace.

Shoot, I forgot about a cracked windshield I had a few years ago. What a pain that was! I called insurance and safe-lite on my way to the office. At lunchtime I had to walk across the street
    to the parking garage to sign off on the new windshield that had been installed. Major inconvenience!

Anyway, Tesla needs to take care of these QC/Service issues. Owners (and future owners) should not have this problem. Last thing I need is to be waiting in the Tesla pickup line.

• Disagree x 1
  20. Zorg

Zorg Member

Used the Fremont service center twice and was pleased. Some of the folks seem a bit new. Customer service is still light years ahead of all the dealerships I dealt with though.