Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First week hijinx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent a year thinking about this purchase, months waiting for my car, and many hours reading TMC wondering whether I'd have the same reactions as the rest of you. Well, week 1 with my Model S went as advertised. I've loved every minute. Best drive ever. Lots of fun new things to learn. Many opportunities to geek out. My wife even became a believer.

That said, I wasn't quite prepared for people's reactions. In the past week, I've been in 2 near accidents because other drivers were trying to take pictures of my Model S (while they were supposed to be driving). I was cruising along the highway a few days back, when I heard a loud screech and saw a neighboring driver with both hands on his iPhone, lining up a shot. Yesterday, I was sharing this story with my wife, while in the Model S. "No way," she says, "who would do that?" Several minutes later, I loaded the camera app so that she could see the driver behind us, white iPhone raised, with flash flashing.

But I had my favorite experience just a few minutes ago. I parked a municipal EVSE station. I start loading the J1772 adapter when a woman comes running (literally) across the street waving her hands and saying, "you don't want to park there, sir!"

"Why," I asked.

"The police will ticket your car if it's not electric," she said.

(Note that I was plugging the EVSE cord into my Model S)

"It is," I said.

"Are you sure?!"

This is going to be fun.

But I had my favorite experience just a few minutes ago. I parked a municipal EVSE station. I start loading the J1772 adapter when a woman comes running (literally) across the street waving her hands and saying, "you don't want to park there, sir!"

"Why," I asked.

"The police will ticket your car if it's not electric," she said.

(Note that I was plugging the EVSE cord into my Model S)

"It is," I said.

"Are you sure?!"

This is going to be fun.

What a nice lady! Trying to be helpful and all.

You should take the opportunity to show her the pretty colored light that comes on when you plug in. She'll be amazed. :)

Also a first week owner....the picture taking is wild but not surprisimg...
I was surprised to see the van behind me today on the way to work attempt to see my whole car by getting into the shoulder of a two lane road and speeding up followed by thumbs up and big smiles from the driver...I had read about the attention but it is another thing to experience it.

Hahaha. Nice

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and I've found the same things... lots of people want to stop for conversations.
had to warn my wife that she needs to pay more attention to me because many more women are finding me attractive :biggrin: