Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First world problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I have a first world problem I'm hoping to get some incite on.

I'm fortunate enough to be in a situation where I can rearrange my fleet. Currently I have a 2015 GMC Sierra HD with the duramax diesel. Beautiful truck! I was planning on adding a 2016 C7 corvette z51 to my collection but I made the mistake of test driving a P90D. The tesla was amazing! So much so I'm not sure what I want to do. So, do I keep my truck and add a corvette to the collection or do I trade in my truck and buy a tesla? Two cars or one?

here are some things to consider:

- I live in the burbs of Denver and love going for spirited mountain drives. I love taking the passes and having a little fun. Handling is very important to me. The tesla felt like it handled good but I didn't drive it aggressively.

- I have three kids and we fit great in the truck when we run around doing family stuff. I won't be able to run around with them in the vet, but we can fit a lot of gear and luggage in the truck.

- The altitude I live at really kills a normally aspirated engine. The MS is noticeably faster. I like it a lot. Loved the instant torque. :)

- The vet has a HUD but the tech in the tesla feels modern and current. The vet has digital gauges and displays as well, but it feels cheaper. Loved the autopilot. As a pilot I felt at home. Sitting in traffic I think I would like it more. 90% of my driving is family type driving or commuting to and from work.

- the cost to keep two is $30 different without fuel savings. Not that it's that big of a deal but the tax credit would be nice :) In Colorado we an additional 6k credit.

- I'm 6'7" 260. Let's say not the smallest person. I felt really comfortable in the tesla and the vet I have to squeeze myself in with some KY jelly. Let's just say not as comfortable. I do get the open air driving with the vet though since the targa can come off.

- I love the look of the vet, but the tesla feels more refined. I like showing off subtly. If I valet park the vet, I have no doubt they'll park it right up front for everyone to see. The tesla probably not.

- I'm a pilot and love planning trips out. I could see going on a road trip with the tesla just like planning a flight. Will I get range anxiety though? Again I love my spirited driving.

- what am I not thinking about?

I feel either way I can't go wrong. What do you guys think?

Reading your post, I don't see why you'd keep the truck. Is there something you tow? Or haul dirt/mulch /rock /etc? Love sitting high in traffic? (my wife does).

Trucks do look awesome, though.

I'd think with your size, the truck's gotta be easier to get in and out. You sound like you're probably under 40, so that's not a big deal.

Get the Tesla.

There are a number of posters in this forum who have let us know that their size places you in the sub-midget category - hardly kidding. There's one who has you by two hundred pounds; another who has you by a half-foot in height. They find the Model S comfortable.

For our own lifestyle, our pickup trucks remain utterly essential. We have been delighted in how much the Model S can sling back from a Costco run - truly phenomenal - and I've even brought two dozen 10' lengths of 1/2" EMT tubing and twenty 8' sticks of 3/8" rebar - simultaneously - in the Model S....as well as seventy gallons of diesel for the pickups - but I hope no one tries to emulate that. So, from our perspective, a family with one pickup and one Model S sounds quite reasonable indeed.

For the record, our current fleet of on-road rigs is:

2013 Model S P85
F-350 LB CC
F-250 flatbed
E-350 12-passenger
FJ62 Land Cruiser
BJ70 Land Cruiser
BJ40 Land Cruiser
VW Golf
Subaru Outback
and five trailers from snowmobile-size to 30' gooseneck

3 gassers, 5 diesels, 1 electrons

Welcome to TMC. First world problem indeed, and most likely you'll get some biased answers posting here, but I'm sure you realize that. :) A few points that come to my mind in response to your questions:

* I've had no problem fitting three 10-year-old kids in back. (I have twins but occasionally drive some of their friends around too.) It can be tight with three adults but better than most 5-passenger sedans because there's no "hump" in the middle of the floor.
* You can fit quite a bit of gear/luggage/etc in the frunk and trunk combined. I have RWD so my frunk is a bit bigger than the P90D's, but frankly I almost never need it. Not as much space as a big truck, I expect, so this is an area where you'll have to dig a bit deeper, as you know your specific situation best.
* Get the panoramic roof in the Tesla. When it's open my passengers tell me they feel like they're in a convertible. No it's not quite the same, but it is really nice if you like the open air feeling. Your back-seat passengers also get a bit of extra headroom, even when it's closed.
* I've read quite a few stories on TMC of valets parking Teslas right up front. I've experienced it myself a few times as well.

- I have three kids and we fit great in the truck when we run around doing family stuff. I won't be able to run around with them in the vet, but we can fit a lot of gear and luggage in the truck.
- I'm 6'7" 260. Let's say not the smallest person. I felt really comfortable in the tesla and the vet I have to squeeze myself in with some KY jelly. Let's just say not as comfortable. I do get the open air driving with the vet though since the targa can come off.
- I love the look of the vet, but the tesla feels more refined. I like showing off subtly. If I valet park the vet, I have no doubt they'll park it right up front for everyone to see. The tesla probably not.

You have good options. I would dump the vette. You are growing into a Tesla, which is a great performance car, too. And much more resourceful. I did keep my Jeep Grand Cherokee as the snow vehicle and for hauling stuff and towing. But I rarely drive it. The MS is my favorite and daily driver!!

Welcome to the forum!

How do you use your truck? Do you tow? Range is compromised in cold weather so depending on your charging/supercharging situation, it would be a slight inconvenience. I say slight because it is definitely doable but you would find yourself charging more often. I live in NE and have not found it annoying despite only having a 70D.

As a pilot you would be totally fine with the planning aspect of longer distance trips in regards to route/charging. (I am a FA btw!) In fact you would probably enjoy it. You would also appreciate the Tesla cockpit with all the technology, energy usage, controls, etc.

I myself am not crazy about vettes - and I am still in awe of my Tesla. I'd keep the truck and get the Tesla to satisfy your power craving. It will be FUN to drive in those mountain passes - one of the best drives we had was a recent trip to VT on windy roads in the mountains.

Last edited:
To answer some questions. I used to use my truck for this:
IMG_2994.JPG

I sold my ATV last year and I'm selling my travel trailer. Once my travel trailer sells I'll make a decision :)

As for camping, we'll either tent it or rent a class C for the time being.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention. I have a supercharger about 10 min /6 miles down the road. I drive by it every day. It's at the mall and I eat lunch at the mall often. I also plan on installing a 240 in my garage. I would be tempted to get the dual chargers.

As a Tesla guy with multiple 2 seaters in the garage, including a long history of driving/ tracking Vettes, I'd just point out that in the past year, I've put 14,000 miles on my P85DL and about 2000 on my C7 Z06. It's a great car, but unless I'm going to the road course or on some nice open roads, the Tesla wins by far for the daily commute. Not even a contest.

I daily drove Vettes for years, but after crossing over into my 40s, I like a bit more luxury and technology in a daily driver. The combination of autopilot, internet radio, Google Maps, air suspension, oh and that crushing low speed acceleration makes the Tesla a hard car to beat.

Don't let anyone here tell you it's a performance car though....it's not. It's the best sedan in the world, but out in the Tx Hill country or your local road course, the Vette kills it all day long.

So what I'm getting is my mountain drives might not be as exciting in the tesla but other than that I'd enjoy the tesla much more.

Also, how do you fit in your C7? I heard there is a trick to move the seat back and down another inch or two but I never heard how much leg or headroom you get.

Here's a picture of me in a 2014. This is why i'm really concerned with fit. I have lost some weight since then but I'm still a big guy.

IMG_3452.jpg

Hah! I have the exact same truck, same model, same color, for the same reason.

However, I started off with the Tesla first.

Road trips in the Model S is nice, but it can't compare to the Denali. And it's not the charge time of the Model S - that's not a problem at all. It's the locations - somehow Tesla picks the most boring, bleakest locations possible for Superchargers.

See my full comparison here. It also compares some of the creature comforts you're familiar with in the GMC to the Tesla.

Denali.jpg

- I'm a pilot and love planning trips out. I could see going on a road trip with the tesla just like planning a flight. Will I get range anxiety though? Again I love my spirited driving.

Pilot here as well and I'm glad someone mentioned this as it's the first time I've seen it. I love the idea of planning all my trips like hopping from airport to airport like we flight plan. I get some people would get annoyed but us pilot types dig it.

oh and I've driven Vipers, Ferrari, Lambos and nothing compares to that quiet instant acceleration. I like the feeling of those big V10's rattling the car but for everyday Tesla wins by a long shot. Go for the P90DL!

So what I'm getting is my mountain drives might not be as exciting in the tesla but other than that I'd enjoy the tesla much more.

Also, how do you fit in your C7? I heard there is a trick to move the seat back and down another inch or two but I never heard how much leg or headroom you get.

Here's a picture of me in a 2014. This is why i'm really concerned with fit. I have lost some weight since then but I'm still a big guy.

View attachment 112794

I sat in a C7 Z06 Corvette and I didn't fit. I'm 6'6" 220 lbs. I have a C6 Z06 and it's more comfortable than the P85D. We took it on a 6700 mile trip and averaged 26.5 mpg. The longest single day travel was 840 miles and I was willing to go further but my wife was against it. The Vette is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. In the Tesla my leg rests on the the big screen which makes it less comfortable. I have plenty of head room (I don't have the Pano) it's a bit short on leg room for me. It's interesting all the magazines panned the C6 interior but I love it. Now, I purchased the Tesla for my wife but I drive the Tesla whenever she doesn't. It's interesting my wife says she doesn't like the Tesla but she drives it. Basically she didn't want me to buy it so she will never say she likes it. She also has range anxiety even though she never drives it long distances. If given a choice I will drive the Tesla. Part of this is the Tesla is newer but it's also fun to drive a high performance car that costs so little for fuel. We also have an Expedition and a couple of toys which has ended up requiring the Vette to be on a battery maintainer from time to time.