Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First World Problems: Display Range or Battery % but not both....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems the Model S can display Range or Battery %. I would really like to have both. Is there a way?

If not I am sure someone has settled on one method and rationalized it in their mind, so do tell. However, if there is a button I missed, I am super happy :)

Reactions: MattMatt
I chose percentage because there's more to energy usage than how many miles I drive. People might dislike it for the same reason I like it, but percentage is less precise and I feel less range anxiety. Granted, I use about 10% of battery a day so I tend to be oblivious to state of charge. It's more a feeling of range curiosity.

This issue has already been covered along with a poll of user preferences. Personally I prefer the range setting because most of us can estimate the remaining percentage by just looking at the green battery status bar. Knowing the exact percentage is rarely relvant under any conditions. Most of us cannot estimate the remaining range due to numerous factors including driving habits, battery degradation, battery size, climate, topography, etc. This is why I prefer the range setting.

Reactions: RAW84 and ZAKEEUS
It seems people have different questions they need answered, such as "how far can I go?" or "do I need to charge?" With the former, miles is more helpful. If someone uses a big enough portion of battery on a regular basis, the second question is moot since the answer would most likely be yes. For most battery operated devices, the second question is all that's needed to be answered.

One comparison is the tire pressure display. I would guess most people don't have it on by default because the question in most circumstances, is "is the tire pressure ok?" Since the car gives an alert if the pressure is too low, it's not necessary to have the tire pressure showing the whole time. However, if the question is "how quickly is the tire pressure dropping with this leak?" it's nice to have the display option, although it comes at the expense of not displaying something else.

Last edited:
It seems people have different questions they need answered, such as "how far can I go?" or "do I need to charge?" With the former, miles is more helpful. If someone uses a big enough portion of battery on a regular basis, the second question is moot since the answer would most likely be yes. For most battery operated devices, the second question is all that's needed to be answered.

One comparison is the tire pressure display. I would guess most people don't have it on by default because the question in most circumstances, is "is the tire pressure ok?" Since the car gives an alert if the pressure is too low, it's not necessary to have the tire pressure showing the whole time. However, if the question is "how quickly is the tire pressure dropping with this leak?" it's nice to have the display option, although it comes at the expense of not displaying something else.

When I picked up a chunk of metal in the tire, the screen showing the pressure that came up automatically when the pressure started dropping did tell me that I wasn't going to make it home. The pressure was dropping too quickly. I was able to limp to a mini-mart with an air compressor, but a can of tire goop and trying to re-inflate the tire didn't work.

Seems the Model S can display Range or Battery %. I would really like to have both. Is there a way?

If not I am sure someone has settled on one method and rationalized it in their mind, so do tell. However, if there is a button I missed, I am super happy :)

Plenty of room on the bottom of the screen. There's no reason there shouldn't be a both option?????? Can't be that difficult of a software update either.

Reactions: Brass Guy
No way (in current firmware) to show both.
The toggle is in the Settings page, under "Units and Format."
I use range, since there's nothing in my car that indicates distance in percentage. No nav, so no display of percent remaining. I can enter an address or POI and get the straight line distance, add an appropriate buffer and charge to that amount.

I agree with @mmoran there is plenty screen real estate for more info. I'm again lamenting the loss (years ago) of climate details, date and day of week, exterior temp in view of the passenger...

Yeah agree, I also looked at available real estate before posting. I could be done easily. But again, first world problems. I will soldier on :)

Totally off topic, but took yet another friend/colleague for a run in The INTERCEPTOR today, far out people love these cars.

:cool:

how difficult is this to do?

percent+range.jpg