TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First World Problems Extraordinaire

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by nando2323, Aug 23, 2018.

1. nando2323

nando2323 Member

Well had to bring my 3 in for service yesterday (passenger mirror stuck on dim mode) they tried to replace the mirror but it did the same thing so they think it's either the wiring harness or the door controller, either way they wanted to keep the car for further diagnostics. So they give me a 2018 BMW 430i convertible as a loaner, I was actually upset about that I was looking forward to driving a model S :). Anyhow I have not driven a regular gas car since owning my 3 for a month now and wow what a step backwards this is.

First is all the damn buttons I know my previous car had them too but damn it's so noticeable now, useless buttons that you'll never touch ever. Second no re-genitive braking man did I get used to that it's so hard to drive without that and I swear I feel like the brakes are really lacking on this car or something. Third the pickup, coming from electric it's night and day the whole hesitation when pressing the pedal is just so dumb now, feels so slow and the stupid auto start stop that it has too how annoying is that, every time you stop the thing just jolts back to life when you go again. Fourth no autopilot or even radar cruise on this thing. I looked it up too it's $56K msrp without any of those features, I don't see how anyone in their right mind would pass up a Model 3 for BMW after driving a 3 for even a day or even an hour. Well at least I have a convertible I guess :)

2. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Indeed a first-world problem, but nevertheless, all true.

Hope you get your 3 back soon. :)

3. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Only cause it's a convertible :)

• Like x 1
  4. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Active Member

I feel your pain. Been there, done that.

;)

5. Takumi

Takumi Member

Just don't forget to turn it off when you're in the garage.

• Funny x 5
    • Helpful x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Not on my Model 3 either.

Go on, rub it in ;-)

• Funny x 1
  7. nando2323

nando2323 Member

Funny you say that. When I got home I did just that and then I went back in and turned it off then the radio just stayed on forever and I couldn't figure out why the hell it would not shut off. Then it came to me, oh yeah I have to lock the stupid door... lol

8. Takumi

Takumi Member

I do that often with the other car (forgetting to turn it off). Fortunately, it's also a BEV. :D

9. paladinfello

paladinfello Member

Had my mirror replaced for not being able to adjust. Replacement did not work either. After working with the mobile tech, I noticed a loose wire in the wiring harness. Lo and behold the wire to control the mirror direction had come out of the harness so that solved that issue. Didn't have the tools to re-pin the connector so just stuck in back in and its good for now. My money's on the wiring harness.

10. nando2323

nando2323 Member

You are most likely right and the service manager guy suggested that also. I think they are going to replace the harness is my guess. I'll prob find out today or tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't take too long I don't want to be pumping gas in this thing all weekend. At least the weather is nice though.

11. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

The last 2 comments make we wonder.....Is all the tech in the model 3 helpful in troubleshooting these problems? Or is it the same as ICE or even worse?

• Like x 1
  12. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

Had a rental car for 5 days on a recent trip and my summary was much the same: I'm spoiled rotten! :eek:

13. xcat

xcat Member

Don't do what my wife almost did and put diesel in it by accident. Good thing the nozzle size prevented that mishap.

14. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

When people hear you have to stop and wait to get electricity they say forget it.

my co workers. Said he doesn’t like to be dicitated where he stops to refuel. So unless it’s 600 miles on a charge he won’t get EV

15. paladinfello

paladinfello Member

No amount of (practical) tech would be able to tell that a wire is unplugged. From an electrical standpoint, the resistance drop between points would alert us to a wire break but that would require sensors at every connection point to determine where a break is.

16. 240W

240W Member

Show him the m3 record of >600 miles on one charge. (Don’t mind that it had to be towed after, lol)

17. Runebane

Runebane Member

what is your co-worker driving that they are getting a 600 mile range? While technically possible in a Prius, you'd be going very slowly and pissing off a lot of people on the freeways. Most cars get around 400-450 mile range with realistic driving. So he/she is already being dictated to and obviously loving it.

18. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

We don't need EVs for everyone, just most....Then the industry will eventually force their hands.

• Disagree x 1
  19. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

I got the exact same loaner model a while back, and my sentiments match yours exactly. I could have written all that. No comparison at all.

20. rdlink

rdlink Member

You can also push the kill button a second time. One of those head scratchers from BMW. I understand leaving the radio playing while you're still in the car. But have it turn off when you open the driver door. SMH.