TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First year vehicles

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Merrill, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I would like to hear from some of you who have ordered the 60 S. no one seems to be concerned that this vehicle has never been produced. I have always had some trepidation about buying a first year car and especially one that is so cutting edge and all completely new technology. Would appreciate hearing any input on this.

Merrill

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Well, I've ordered an 85 but my experience with first year cars is fine. I have a 2001 Prius and a 2004 Prius. Both have been very reliable. Now admittedly there is a difference between Toyota and Tesla but with the simpler mechanics and electronics of the Tesla plus the ability to push fixes more easily, I'm not that concerned.

As the main difference between the 60 and the 85 is the battery, there are already several thousand cars built ahead of yours.

3. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

If you are not an "early adopter", you probably should skip it. I've owned the first model year of many vehicles, 2004 Prius (1st year of 2nd gen), 2010 Prius (1st year of 3rd gen), and now a 2012 Tesla Model S. Typically there have been manufacturer "TSBs" (Technical Service Bulletins), requireing you to bring it your car to have something updated, sometimes just software/firmware (which Tesla does over the air), sometimes dumb things like a seal or a gasket that maybe wasn't built to spec. There is a saying "The Pioneers get the arrows", and it's still true.. The question is, what is your tolerance for a few minor issues, versus waiting longer to get the car? I say go for it, if you have the intestinal fortitude :)

4. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks for the input, I was in the car business and have owned Jaguars and Alfa's and worked on them myself. So understand the intestinal fortitude needed, maybe somewhat jaded from above experience. I totally agree with the arrows comment and will probably pull the trigger. Appreciate the feedback.

5. mrjohnlnguyen

mrjohnlnguyen Member

Got my 60W last Friday and drove it back to Orange County. Got a great tour and the car is incredible I didn't opt for the larger because 90-95% of the time you won't need it so why pay the extra 10K. Below are photos from the tour and Super Chargers, which I hit 3/4 to make it back to OC.

If you think the car IS or will be trouble free don't buy the car. My mirrors burned out and my drivers side door won't open..1 day into ownership. Luckly the service center is 10 min from me so they replaced them and now I have my baby back and it is GOOD.

http://sdrv.ms/11lZZcg

Getting it tinted tomorrow..excited. YOU will get a lot of questions and stairs and double takes be warned!

6. Electric1

Electric1 Member

Mitch is right. Only you can decide if the "juice(no pun intended) is worth the squeeze"