Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #21 is available now. We covered the recent wide release of FSD Beta and shared our experiences. We also discussed the best times to charge and Tesla's official CCS adapter. You can watch it on YouTube.

Firsthand comparison from an owner of both, between the Rivian SUV and Tesla Model X. The only EV 7-seater SUV's available.

I currently own a 2022 MYP and MX Plaid and I agree with most of your sentiments here. I got both of them pre price hikes and actually the only reason I took delivery of the MYP is because I held an order from august 2021 and the prices rocketed but I also have an r1s pre price hike res that will be replacing the model y performance. For the price I paid though, the MX plaid is just a crazy suv that defies physics and offers a ton of value. The engineering behind the plaid motors is wild and the way this thing pulls on the highway is bewildering. It’s an absolute highway monster. 99% of super/hyper cars can’t keep up not just in 0-60 but in 60-130mph time of around 5 seconds… A 2021 model x performance with ludicrous mode does 60-130 in 13 seconds so it’s a pretty substantial jump when you’re talking about highway passing power. A Porsche taycan turbo s does it in 8 seconds. Having that kind of power in a 3 row family suv with automatic doors and a range of 333 miles is crazy. I don’t think I’d ever give it up for the rivian but the jump from a MYP to an r1s is a no brainer.

I currently own a 2022 MYP and MX Plaid and I agree with most of your sentiments here. I got both of them pre price hikes and actually the only reason I took delivery of the MYP is because I held an order from august 2021 and the prices rocketed but I also have an r1s pre price hike res that will be replacing the model y performance. For the price I paid though, the MX plaid is just a crazy suv that defies physics and offers a ton of value. The engineering behind the plaid motors is wild and the way this thing pulls on the highway is bewildering. It’s an absolute highway monster. 99% of super/hyper cars can’t keep up not just in 0-60 but in 60-130mph time of around 5 seconds… A 2021 model x performance with ludicrous mode does 60-130 in 13 seconds so it’s a pretty substantial jump when you’re talking about highway passing power. A Porsche taycan turbo s does it in 8 seconds. Having that kind of power in a 3 row family suv with automatic doors and a range of 333 miles is crazy. I don’t think I’d ever give it up for the rivian but the jump from a MYP to an r1s is a no brainer.
Absolutely, if the crazy insane acceleration is of that much importance to a buyer, then the Tesla wins that debate. The Rivian's however, are no slouches at 3.0 to 3.1 0-60 mph. I compared to a MX Long Range because of pricing and performance being more competitive. The Plaid, for another $30,000 to $40,000 to get you a bigger motor with quicker acceleration is something that will have that kind of value to those in which 3.1 0-60 is not enough. 3.1 does pretty much beat just about anything on the road, other than the Tesla S&X performance models.

Absolutely, if the crazy insane acceleration is of that much importance to a buyer, then the Tesla wins that debate. The Rivian's however, are no slouches at 3.0 to 3.1 0-60 mph. I compared to a MX Long Range because of pricing and performance being more competitive. The Plaid, for another $30,000 to $40,000 to get you a bigger motor with quicker acceleration is something that will have that kind of value to those in which 3.1 0-60 is not enough. 3.1 does pretty much beat just about anything on the road, other than the Tesla S&X performance models.

Yep Rivian r1s is definitely no slouch with the 0-60. But its the 60-130mph that most electric cars fall on their face and become non competitive with ICE counterparts. I am not sure how the rivian handles highway passing power but with quad motors, I bet its adequate. curious if anyone has done a draggy with one.

I don't understand the obsession with speed. Considering most of our roads are super congested these days, you'd think that efficiency and comfort were more important to folks. I guess that's why the make the MX LR.

The beauty of the plaid is that its pretty much as efficient and just as comfortable as the LR. You lose about 15mi of range but gain about 400hp. I probably will never notice the slight range decrease but I will definitely notice the power difference on a daily basis. Its not that I speed everywhere but a quick blast on an on ramp once or twice a day has replaced coffee in the mornings for me so im considering it an investment into my health. In all seriousness though absolutely no one NEEDS the plaid. the LR is plenty fast enough and even does decently well on highway passing power. But the plaid is unlike anything else and for the price compared to anything even close to the realm of 60-130 highway acceleration/passing power, its an absolute bargain.

Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
Yep Rivian r1s is definitely no slouch with the 0-60. But its the 60-130mph that most electric cars fall on their face and become non competitive with ICE counterparts. I am not sure how the rivian handles highway passing power but with quad motors, I bet its adequate. curious if anyone has done a draggy with one.

I don't have actual performance numbers, but personally, and certainly the Tesla Performance versions will zip up to speed on the highway for passing power quicker, but I haven't ever felt like I was lacking in passing power with the Rivian. It's a truck or boxy SUV and I don't think is allowed to do 130 MPH (governed), but it accelerates pretty darn quick when I'm trying to pass someone on the freeway.

With regards to the second part of your reply, other than keeping my wallet $30,000-$40,000 heavier, there's no measurable sacrifice with buying the Performance Tesla over the Long Range version. As you noted, the range loss is minimal. For me, I'm one that very rarely ever "floors it", so I just get no benefit from it being able to get to 60 MPH in 2 seconds rather than 3 seconds. So for someone like me, I gain nothing by spending the extra $30,000 to $40,000. One of my many Tesla's was a Performance model and I think I floored it twice, simply to show passengers what it could do. The Raven LR improved 0-60 times by a large margin. Interestingly enough, I got the same reaction from passengers when I floored it in that car as I did when I did the same in the previous "Performance" version.

My biggest issue with spending the $30,000 to $40,000 is that includes absolutely nothing but the added power. Most cars, the Performance version at least includes: sportier wheels, often time some type of sporty appearance features incorporated into the body work, better handling suspension, among other things. Even Tesla offers more with the Model 3 performance package than they do with the S. The Model 3 gets you performance wheels, lower ride height, sportier suspension, spoiler, etc. For what $8,000 to $10,000. The Model S gets you a bigger rear motor for $30,000 to $40,000. A big chunk of money for ONLY quicker acceleration, over a car that already accelerates pretty damn quickly in the LR version.

I don't have actual performance numbers, but personally, and certainly the Tesla Performance versions will zip up to speed on the highway for passing power quicker, but I haven't ever felt like I was lacking in passing power with the Rivian. It's a truck or boxy SUV and I don't think is allowed to do 130 MPH (governed), but it accelerates pretty darn quick when I'm trying to pass someone on the freeway.

With regards to the second part of your reply, other than keeping my wallet $30,000-$40,000 heavier, there's no measurable sacrifice with buying the Performance Tesla over the Long Range version. As you noted, the range loss is minimal. For me, I'm one that very rarely ever "floors it", so I just get no benefit from it being able to get to 60 MPH in 2 seconds rather than 3 seconds. So for someone like me, I gain nothing by spending the extra $30,000 to $40,000. One of my many Tesla's was a Performance model and I think I floored it twice, simply to show passengers what it could do. The Raven LR improved 0-60 times by a large margin. Interestingly enough, I got the same reaction from passengers when I floored it in that car as I did when I did the same in the previous "Performance" version.

My biggest issue with spending the $30,000 to $40,000 is that includes absolutely nothing but the added power. Most cars, the Performance version at least includes: sportier wheels, often time some type of sporty appearance features incorporated into the body work, better handling suspension, among other things. Even Tesla offers more with the Model 3 performance package than they do with the S. The Model 3 gets you performance wheels, lower ride height, sportier suspension, spoiler, etc. For what $8,000 to $10,000. The Model S gets you a bigger rear motor for $30,000 to $40,000. A big chunk of money for ONLY quicker acceleration, over a car that already accelerates pretty damn quickly in the LR version.
Ah yeah for $30-40k I wouldn’t even question getting an LR over a plaid. I wasn’t lucky enough to order when it was $89k for the LRX though. By the time I ordered the price differential between a Long Range and Plaid X was $12k. So it was either fsd or plaid, I opted for plaid. Maybe that was dumb and I’ll regret not getting a robotaxi instead sometime down the road but for now, I’m enjoying the hell out of the plaid. I hope the resale value stays higher longer too unless elons prophecy comes true and everyone with FSD will have appreciating assets and I look like a fool in my fast egg.

Ah yeah for $30-40k I wouldn’t even question getting an LR over a plaid. I wasn’t lucky enough to order when it was $89k for the LRX though. By the time I ordered the price differential between a Long Range and Plaid X was $12k. So it was either fsd or plaid, I opted for plaid. Maybe that was dumb and I’ll regret not getting a robotaxi instead sometime down the road but for now, I’m enjoying the hell out of the plaid. I hope the resale value stays higher longer too unless elons prophecy comes true and everyone with FSD will have appreciating assets and I look like a fool in my fast egg.
If you got it for $12,000, that was a steal. Your resale value will be good. Those paying $30k+ for it, take a pretty big hit on resale value. Seems like most Performance or Plaid models only sell around $10-15K higher than LR versions.

If you got it for $12,000, that was a steal. Your resale value will be good. Those paying $30k+ for it, take a pretty big hit on resale value. Seems like most Performance or Plaid models only sell around $10-15K higher than LR versions.

wow you're right, wasnt expecting that. cheapest LR im finding is $119k meanwhile you could get this for $10k more?

$162k sticker built 2 months ago dropped down to $129k wow... thats brutal.

Reactions: kizamybute'

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC