Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fish odor in car

Mar 23, 2020
Redmond, WA
Hi all,

I’m in an unfortunate pickle. From my last grocery run, I had some fish juice leak in my Model Y and it’s been smelling terrible since then.
I’ve tried Ozone Generator from a detail shop, it helped mask it a little bit but it is still very noticeable.
Does anyone have any solution or products that they can refer me at to solve this? :(

eevee-fan

Dec 2, 2019
Nevada
You probably should have put the fish in the frunk. Then you would only be dealing with funk in the frunk with the added bonus of then cats would guard your Tesla against rats.

... maybe try some generous portions of Febreeze?

ArtK

Jun 1, 2020
NYS
You probably should have put the fish in the frunk. Then you would only be dealing with funk in the frunk with the added bonus of then cats would guard your Tesla against rats.

... maybe try some generous portions of Febreeze?
Funk In Da Frunk should have been my user name here :rolleyes:

LNL_HUTZ

Aug 3, 2020
San Francisco
When my kid puked in my old car and I knew it would take professional help to get rid of all odors, I found a local place that does this sort of automotive murder scene cleanup for Uber, Lyft, and limo companies. It wasn't cheap, but the guy did a great job. You might want to look for a place like that up north.

Mar 23, 2020
Redmond, WA
Anyone looking for an update on this.

1. I used a UV Flash light to find the leaks and spills in my car and cleaned them up with the product M0del Yada suggested.
Link to flash light: UV Blacklight Flashlight

2. Since the smell was quite strong, I used an odor remover from Meguiar. It’s basically a smoke bomb can that you place in your car for 15 minutes. Voila! It’s been 3 days and the smell hasn’t returned. Note of caution thought, the odor remover has a very strong and isn’t for everyone so probably smell it before you decide.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Whole-Refresher-Odor-Eliminator/dp/B00G49DVGG

overall, I’m happy with how it turned out at the end. But there’s never going a fish in my car again though :)

• Informative
Reactions: Daniellane

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC