Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma owners planning meetup by Tesla Santana Row showroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ooookay ... let's all back off, lest we be accused of the same behavior.

In all fairness, this has to be an emotional time for them. We love our cars, they love theirs. It has to be hard to watch the company going down & there prob is a feeling (not totally without merit, to be completely honest) that Tesla owners feel they were foolish.

I do wish them all well. I have no idea how they will keep the cars going long-term, but that's not an area I'll claim to know much about. And we may get some of them over here on TMC, as their forum dwindles in numbers. Let's make them feel welcome.

Ooookay ... let's all back off, lest we be accused of the same behavior.

In all fairness, this has to be an emotional time for them. We love our cars, they love theirs. It has to be hard to watch the company going down & there prob is a feeling (not totally without merit, to be completely honest) that Tesla owners feel they were foolish.

I do wish them all well. I have no idea how they will keep the cars going long-term, but that's not an area I'll claim to know much about. And we may get some of them over here on TMC, as their forum dwindles in numbers. Let's make them feel welcome.

So that's where my big boy pants went :)

If you saw some of the stuff said about Tesla and the S by these owners (most of which initially bought the car for styling and not the EV aspect), I think you might experience a tinge schadenfreude yourself.
Good point. Also interesting to know some may have been more interested in styling than EV tech. I would not have gotten the MS had it been a hybrid or ICE.

Bully maneuver. Not sure I comprehend the point either.

If the guy in the short sleeve dress shirt and the tie shows up, I'll take him... :tongue:

header-old.jpg

Had the Model S come on the market at the same time as the Karma, I think a lot of these Fisker owners would have become Tesla owners instead. Hindsight is always 20/20. These guys were in the market for something grand, sexy and politically correct. The Karma was really the only option at the time.

Had the Model S come on the market at the same time as the Karma, I think a lot of these Fisker owners would have become Tesla owners instead. Hindsight is always 20/20. These guys were in the market for something grand, sexy and politically correct. The Karma was really the only option at the time.

Maaaybe, but the Karma "launched" Summer 2011. REAL deliveries didn't begin until December of 2011. Those folks had plenty of time to cross-shop both cars. Additionally, many of these folks refuse to drive an S because it's either too ugly or they fear range anxiety.

Bonnie is absolutely right. Most of those people are very frustrated and are seriously being taken advantage of by the circumstances. Some dealerships have extended themselves to support the owners, but that leaves a lot of customers high and dry, selling their cars for a major loss, or hanging on to them in the hopes a miracle will happen. We should be very sympathetic towards them as a whole, with hopes that that miracle does happen and that they graciously accept it and recover. Only a few bad eggs over there, you know who you are!, SO it doesn't do any good to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Sent via Tapatalk

The Model S design was such a slave to aerodynamics that it may not have been all that different anyway.

I would trade zero miles of my range for the Karma styling. How many would prefer an EPA range of < 200 miles on their 85kWh battery - and remember the aerodynamic penalty grows at the higher real world speed of 75mph.

That's actually my father. He's sadly stuck in the boat with no support. Needless to say I did try and talk him out of the Karma, especially after I test drove one and saw first-hand how many problems it had. The car was released before it was production ready.

If Fisker would have stayed with Tesla, maybe the Karma body style would be driving down the road with a Tesla badge on it. Who knows?
I wouldn't have bought it. Just sayin'.

- - - Updated - - -

Under the category of "can't we all be friends"...

If any Fisker owners are near the Redmond area, I'd love to see one tomorrow.
http://www.exoticsat.com/events/

If Fisker would have stayed with Tesla, maybe the Karma body style would be driving down the road with a Tesla badge on it. Who knows?
According to the lawsuit, the claim was the design that Fisker penned for the Model S was inferior to the Karma (or at least different), which was what pissed off Elon. After Fisker revealed their car in 2008, Tesla also ditched their range extender plan for the Model S (still codenamed Whitestar back then) very quickly.

I tend to agree that the show up tomorrow at Santana Row is a bit juvenile (at least as originally portrayed by the organizer). That said, I trust that the owners that do show up will be mature about it and hopefully it turns into a nice event. I think personally it would be cool to see a line or parade of Model S and Karmas.

A few other comments...

I think the cool thing about the Karma and its design is that it did bring in folks that didn't necessarily care about the 'green' creds of a car and were interested in the car purely for style. I met a few of these folks during some owner events and its funny because the strategy started to work - they are the 'converted greenies' and a few were looking forward to the Model X and became interested in learning more about the eco-creds of the cars. Lure them with style, then teach them about greenness.

I love my Karma - have never been stranded or not been able to get it to start/etc. All my software problems have been fixed and the engine noise, while probably louder than I'd like it to be, is still perfectly fine (Muffler 2.0 really did dramatically reduce the engine noise, as did the new software update which reduced peak power output... thus the 0-60 slowed from 5.8s to 6.3s). Having driven the Model S twice I was worried that it would handle and feel more fun to drive than my Karma. Thankfully for my own peace of mind, I still prefer my Karma's handling (although I do miss the mid-speed passing power of the S!).

I always thumbs up the Model S folks when I see them around town, and most do the same to me as well. I think Karma owners, just like MS/Roadster folks, only get defensive when they feel attacked (read a lot of the comments on the news sites... a lot of Fisker-hating from Tesla fanboys...). I suppose that's just a natural reaction.

For those MS owners who are thinking of heading to meet the Karma guys tomorrow, do it! Take some great pics and maybe a nice impromptu drive through San Jose.